Barotrauma is a 2D online multiplayer game taking place in a submarine travelling through the icy depths of Jupiter’s moon Europa. The bone-crushing pressure outside the submarine, the strange creatures inhabiting the ocean and the potentially dangerous equipment and machines on board ensure that the tiniest slip can turn the game into a chaotic struggle for survival.
Download Barotrauma v0.6.1.2 (119.0 MB):
Barotrauma takes place several hundred years in the future. In this time, humanity has established several colonies on Europa, one of Jupiter’s moons.
Due to the deadly amounts of radiation on the surface of the moon, the colonies are constructed under its icy crust. The vast subsurface ocean under the crust is used as a transport route between the colonies and a source of natural resources. In Barotrauma, the player will step into the boots of a recruit on board a submarine traveling in the subsurface ocean. The player’s job is to keep the submarine operational, while carrying out various tasks to earn funds for buying supplies and hiring new crew members. Maintaining and operating the submarine itself isn’t the only challenge, as the ocean is filled with bizarre creatures ranging from harmless small fish to gigantic horrors more than capable of destroying the entire vessel.
The game can be played either in single player mode in which the player can choose which crew member to control (others being controlled by AI), and an online multiplayer mode where each player controls one of the crew members.
Some of the features of the game:
- Multiple character classes with different skill sets and responsibilities on board the vessel
- Online multiplayer mode with up to 16 players
- Procedurally generated underwater environments with caves and alien ruins
- A built-in editor that allows designing and building new submarines
- Wiring and electricity system that allows building complex mechanisms and systems, similar to Redstone in Minecraft or MechComp in SS13
- Water physics that simulate pressure, buoyancy and forces caused by flowing water
- Procedurally animated physics-based ragdoll characters
- All the characters, items, devices and machines are configured in .xml files that can be edited or added by anyone
Will the game be free?
The early versions of the game will be available for free, but the finished version will have a price tag. It’s also possible that we’ll move into an early access model some at some point later in development.
How to host a server?
If it seems that players are unable to join your server after starting it from the “Host server” menu, you may have to setup port forwards on your router in order to let incoming connections through. On many router models this can be done by navigating to http://192.168.1.1/ using your web browser, finding the port forwarding settings (sometimes called “application sharing”) and forwarding one of the ports using the following settings:
Port: The port you have selected for your server in the “host server” menu (14242 by default)
The exact steps for forwarding a port depend on your router’s model, but you may you may be able to find a more detailed port forwarding guide for your particular router on portforward.com or by googling your router model + port forwarding.