Re: SCP Coop future game?

mrpeanut188 wrote:
Lambda wrote: Indeed it is, that's why i wont go very far unless we get modellers and textures at the very least, without them this project can't advance, what's an horror game without good creepy textures? :D
A horror game.

Graphics only help with Immersion, they make it more realistic, so do physics and things like that. Horror games are always ahead of other game as far as technology and immersion, they always have to deliver a horrifying experience, and create new styles, as people grow used to fads, and sometimes it has to change, even if Human nature doesn't want it. :P

I'd help with modelling, but I'm really busy with other projects. Also, not to be mean, Gogert has "applied" for 6-7 other projects in the last few days. xD
Your welcome for the feedback. :)
Indeed, I guess I explained myself wrong, what I meant that the perceived fear feeling is higly modified based on the graphical quality of the game, a game with good graphics, effects, sounds makes up a more atmospheric experience.

About Gogert, well I hope that she does help us with some models, I'm still waiting for her to contact me, the good thing about this kind of games is that the required model count usually isn't high, for maps I can do them on my own so with a single modeller who can do sporadic models we will be fine, another problem is animators but well.. I want to have a reaaaally basic mockup of the game before doing anything serious, an usual mistake is to get a name for the game faster than a basic mockup of it, so far I have no name for this game but I do refer it internally as the "SCP Project", once things start to get good shapes then I will worry about the name. :laugh:

Im already working on the very base of it, testing engine features and what we can/can't do, i will keep you guys updated.

Remember, we're still looking for people :D dont be shy, if you have any skill that might help just contact me on email or via private message, your skill level doesn't matter as long as you can do something and feel proud of it, the main goal of this project is to have fun and learn.

Gogert777 wrote:About blexton.com, i did not know how to sign up because i could not understand the language. :P i will contact you a different way.
What do you mean? You dont have to signup anywhere.. just send a mail to [email protected] and we will go further from that point, if you still have issues just send me a PM and we will do it from here, but anyway I still preferer the email method.

Thank you.

Small update, for the past days i've been working on a design for a new model and animations format, the engine we're going to use (Irrlicht) supports alot of model formats but there's not a single one who is completely glitch-free (either on the part of the exporter or the loader) so i choosed to create my own and design it in a way to make it much more flexible than the built in formats suppored by irrlicht, this format will require some modifications to the engine since irrlicht animation system is kinda limited, im gonna add support for multiple animations, vertex animations blended with skeletal ones and other stuff, so far i've just wrote the design docs about the format and have been working on the 3ds max exporter, hopefully tomorrow i will have the first files written to disk so i can start working on the loader part and draw some polygons on the screen :)

/programming rant

Another update, everything is going good so far, i've almost finished the model and animations format and its exporter and importer for the engine and works great, basically in the next days i will start working on what it could be called the game itself.

On the other side of things we also got a base history and name for the game that fits both the multiplayer theme and the SCP world, we have some mechanics in mind in order to make each player need the other, some are of the kind of "Player A go to to X room to enable Y while player B awaits for a event to happen triggered by player A", but not everthing will be like that, as another example there could be some situations that you will depend on the other player to stay alive, we also have choosed to restrict the game to just 2 players max along with a probable single-player version, we also have plans to "modify" the behavior of some SCP's to integrate them better in the game, however i dont want to get off from the SCP history too much, the decision to make it just a 2 player game is that an horror coop is better played with friends and too much players are hard to fit without making the game a crap, the more players the less fear feeling.

:wink:

Small (actually big in terms of relevance) update to this project.

After digging out and doing some research I ended up dropping the Irrlicht engine since it "restricts" you alot when you want to make use of shaders to create a game besides the flawed animation system, i was going to rewrite it but after checking what i had on mind i would have to rewrite a large part of the engine in order to meet up my needs.

After this i started to evaluate other engines, the main candidates were Ogre and Unity but at the end of the day I ended up choosing neither of the two but to make our own.. yes, our own engine.

This may sound a bit hardcore (and actually, it is) but well, so far its going really good, we're using Direct3D9 as a base and plans to support OpenGL + Direct3D11, the renderer is basically done (we can display textured maps on screen!), for the physics engine i started with Bullet as planned but after so many problems and getting 0 support (and the lack of documentation) i ended up sticking with NVIDIA PhysX 3 which is the new PhysX version, i would have went with Newton but the lack of softbody physics made me side with PhysX.

What's done already is this.
  • Direct3D renderer using the programmable pipeline.
  • NVIDIA PhysX engine as the main physics simulator.
  • Material system (physics, sound and visual properties of surfaces).
  • Entity driven logic system, still to decide if we will offload the logic to scripts or make it directly with C++.
Right now im working on the sound engine and then i will move over the animation system.

This kinda slows the progress of the game a bit but on the other hand i think this also shows how serious this project is, a quick note, we're still looking for people who wanna join the project, they will be welcomed.

I will update you guys as this makes progress.

seaal wrote:This sounds really interesting! I'd love to see something like this rise! Could you maybe show us some pics sometime soon? :)

:D good to see that atleast someone is interested in the project, im still working hard on this, about pics, well there isnt much to show right now as im just working on the engine, right now on lighting and dynamic shadows, im using some levels from another game to prototype stuff so i dont wanna post pictures of it but anyway there's not much to show right now, of course i will post pictures as soon as i can.

After some time i have something to show here, nothing at all related with the game sadly, just a bunch of polygons from another game i use in order to test the lighting ecuations im programming, the video shows the 3 light types implemented so far in the engine, directionals (sun), point (lightbulb) and spot(flashlight).

There are also dynamic shadows for the directional light but the other two light types lacks shadows for now, i will write them as soon as i finish the spotlight code.

This is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4_lQxlxMs

Once i have that finished i will move to the loading of models and apply normal maps to enhance the quality of the lighting.

Hope you guys like the progress :)