SCP Coop future game?

Hello,

First i wanna say that this is my first post here, kinda weird that im registering just to post this but honestly, i knew about the SCP world just yesterday... and it really amazes me, i've been reading SCPs for hours at the SCP Wiki and is just amazing, i always loved the ability of some people to turn alot of common objects into high misterious and abstract entities ... the more i read the wiki the more i say "holy shit i love this" to myself ...

I would like to thank the SCP CB team for the amazing work they've done.. you guys nailed it, the atmosphere of the game is creepy as hell and the goddamm 173 have the ability to scare the $/·& out of you.

When i started to read SCP articles the first thing that came to my mind was to make a game, but that was already done, and further researching showed that there were alot of in-progress and (sadly) failed game attempts, but something i has yet to see is a multiplayer game and this is where i join the party.

I'm a programmer for a living, been programming for almost 8 years now (actually even more, but i only consider "serious" the last 8 years), my main language is C++ but basically i can code or script in anything, i have experience in creating games, in fact, few years ago i was making my very own game engine from scratch for a game we were working at that time, sadly it failed but well..

I really would like to get started on a Coop multiplayer project related with the SCP world, all the game details are in the air (number of players, mechanics of the game, etc...) what i know for sure is that the game would be free just like the SCP Foundation info and SCP CB is, the server would be public so people would make their own servers besides the possible official ones to host their games with their own friends.

Im gonna list some of the skills i have that might be useful for this project.
  • Lot of experience programming in C++
  • Knowledge of DirectX and a bit of OpenGL
  • Ability to create Pixel and Vertex Shaders.
  • Knowledge about rendering and lighting techniques (bit rusted but with some reading they will be shining again)
  • Knowledge about integrating physics engines (Physics puzzles anyone?)
  • Past experience building and designing games
  • Knowledge of network programming and design, protocols and all the stuff related with it, one of my past projects was a korean MMORPG server emulator, written in C++ from scratch by me.
  • I also have a bit of knowledge about mapping.
There are some more stuff but honestly i dont remember all of them, my main idea is to make a coop game that you can play with your friends, i want it to be scary but i also want people to play it without having to end in the hospital :laugh: so this is something that can be disccussed.

In short, im looking for a team to start this, im not gonna spend any time unless i find a group of people that WANTS to put effort and time on this project, i promise that if we get the team i will do my best to keep the project alive, from past experience, indie games usually fail because people loses motivation and the project director ends alone with a bunch of ideas and nobody to make them and honestly i dont wanna end just like that once again.

I would appreciate that anybody who likes this project to get going to post it on all the sites of people who likes the SCP world, the more people knows about this, the better chances we will have, I need all kind of people but mainly modellers, texturers and animators.

Anybody interested shoot me a e-mail on [email protected] with what you can offer to the project.

See you soon guys, any questions are welcome, i will do my best to answer them.

Re: SCP Coop future game?

mrpeanut188 wrote:
Lambda wrote:
Knowledge about integrating physics engines (Physics puzzles anyone?)
Newton Game Dynamics, look it up.
Thanks for the info but i already know about Newton, is a good engine but my favourite is the Bullet engine

http://www.bulletphysics.com/
mrpeanut188 wrote:
Lambda wrote:
I also have a bit of knowledge about mapping
I map in Hammer, and in 3D World Studio, the same thing Containment breach uses.
Does hammer allows exporting to some "generic" format? I've used it sometimes but i can't remember as now. My plan is to dinamically generate the map so its slight different every time but this have to be checked up against the fact that is a coop game and sometimes players would have to do missions alone.

My main idea for the map format is the quake3 bsp mainly because i can use the q3map tool to generate the lightmaps and then "dissasemble" the map once its loaded and do whatever i want with it, im gonna use a modified version of the irrlicht engine which adds hardware skinning and some other stuff.. on top of that a crapload of shaders, bloom, self ilumination, bump mapping (with both lightmaps and dynamic lights) and half-life 2 quality water.

Just to say that i've found another programmer which is friend of me and will help me with the code part, we have plans to start doing a really basic mockup of the game to implement some of the dynamics i have on mind, will keep you guys up to date, ovbiously we're still looking for more people, specially in the artistic side of things.

Thanks.

Lambda wrote: Thanks for the info but i already know about Newton, is a good engine but my favourite is the Bullet engine

http://www.bulletphysics.com/
I knew about Bullet, last time I saw it in '08, it was paid for. Might of changed, or I didn't do enough research.
Lambda wrote: Does hammer allows exporting to some "generic" format?
Lambda wrote: ...map format is the quake3 bsp...
Hammer exports .BSP. Problem is, they've upgraded to the Source Engine Hammer, you might have to use ye' olde Hammer 3.5 to make Quake 3 .BSP files. Cry of Fear, a popular Half-Life mod, has a guide on how to obtain and set it up for Cry of Fear, but you might want to check out how to obtain a copy, and find any more information there, Wikipedia shows a lot of different .BSP versions available, and I'm sure many more are un-listed.
Lambda wrote: Just to say that i've found another programmer which is friend of me and will help me with the code part, we have plans to start doing a really basic mockup of the game to implement some of the dynamics i have on mind, will keep you guys up to date, ovbiously we're still looking for more people, specially in the artistic side of things.
Good. Art is really essential for a good game now-days, everyone is so biased towards it, although I do not believe in that. Good games are actually the old ones. Yes, I'm a RETRO fan. Deal with it.

mrpeanut188 wrote: I knew about Bullet, last time I saw it in '08, it was paid for. Might of changed, or I didn't do enough research.
I used it if i remember at 2009 last time and it was free, licensed under the zlib license so its kinda liberal about what we can do with it but considering that probably this project will be open source it really doesn't matter, even if it ends up being closed source the game would be free.
mrpeanut188 wrote: Hammer exports .BSP. Problem is, they've upgraded to the Source Engine Hammer, you might have to use ye' olde Hammer 3.5 to make Quake 3 .BSP files. Cry of Fear, a popular Half-Life mod, has a guide on how to obtain and set it up for Cry of Fear, but you might want to check out how to obtain a copy, and find any more information there, Wikipedia shows a lot of different .BSP versions available, and I'm sure many more are un-listed.
Indeed, the Source Engine BSPs are a higly modified version of the Q3 format, actually the structure is basically the same, file is organized in lumps and each lump matches a series of things (polygons, indices, textures etc..) but for example the lightmaps are completly different.

The old hammer as far i know generates .map files who are then compiled by the hl map compiler turning them into a bsp, main problem (i did some research in the past about this) is the fact that the .map files generated by the old hammer are in a slightly different format than the ones generated by GTKRadiant so the q3bsp compiler doesn not understand them, anyway all of this map discussion is kinda advanced in the timeline of the game as we might even doing a specific map format for the game.. who knows.. all depends on the initial technical research of the game, i dont like to say things that the game *might* include if i dont have a REALLY CLEAR view of how im gonna design (programming-wise) and implement them, the main reason because i want to use the q3bsp is because of its ability to create deluxemaps which are lightmaps who contain normal values for the lights making the ability to create bumpmapped textures from static lightmaps
mrpeanut188 wrote: Good. Art is really essential for a good game now-days, everyone is so biased towards it, although I do not believe in that. Good games are actually the old ones. Yes, I'm a RETRO fan. Deal with it.
Indeed it is, that's why i wont go very far unless we get modellers and textures at the very least, without them this project can't advance, what's an horror game without good creepy textures? :D I hope to hear back from Gogert777 since people like him is what we need.

Thank you for your feedback :)

Lambda wrote: CUUUT! Gogert777 since people like her is what we need.

Thank you for your feedback :)
you didn't know, its ok :)
also, i have to contact you? i cant talk to you on here? Your developmental will not be on here? You can Private message me if you want instead. But if i must, i have Gmail. :)
I'm bad at keeping my emotions bubbled and end up being perfect. It would have been trouble.

Gogert777 wrote: you didn't know, its ok :)
also, i have to contact you? i cant talk to you on here? Your developmental will not be on here? You can Private message me if you want instead. But if i must, i have Gmail. :)
Sorry, didnt know that you were her instead of him :D

You can but i dont want the forum to be my main via of contact, once this thing goes on i will setup a website and a forum so all the devs can discuss about the game, the reason i want to talk with you is to discuss what you can do, mainly to know the technical details of integrating your models on the game, i would appreciate if we can talk on private mainly to not clogger the thread with not related information :)

Thank you for your interest again :wink:

Lambda wrote: Indeed it is, that's why i wont go very far unless we get modellers and textures at the very least, without them this project can't advance, what's an horror game without good creepy textures? :D
A horror game.

Graphics only help with Immersion, they make it more realistic, so do physics and things like that. Horror games are always ahead of other game as far as technology and immersion, they always have to deliver a horrifying experience, and create new styles, as people grow used to fads, and sometimes it has to change, even if Human nature doesn't want it. :P

I'd help with modelling, but I'm really busy with other projects. Also, not to be mean, Gogert has "applied" for 6-7 other projects in the last few days. xD
Your welcome for the feedback. :)