I have no idea how to code and I want to learn.

Got Unity 3D Pro and followed the tutorials and while of course that wouldn't do the job itself I'm a little overwhelmed with how things string together. I mean even if you get the handle of what functions and terms do what, how do you determine what values to set and what axes and how do they relate? It just seems really convoluted but it's something I REALLY want to learn. So I guess what I'm trying to ask is how did you overcome that when you first started learning and how did you get past that? I can follow the directions in a tutorial just fine but I feel like just following along isn't teaching me anything.

Oh and if someone could post an example script for 173's unique functionality that would help me to better understand how to get that kind of thing into a game. It's something I'd like to mess with. I have ideas.

EDIT: OH! I forgot to say I had this idea for a SCP-096-based game. I'm bouncing around the ideas of the player being an MTF on retrieval duty or if you'll play as 096 himself(?).

MTF:

1. There would be a timer or some kind of heads up display showing how close 096 is to his target.
2. Your objective would be to slow down 096 enough for another team to find and neutralize his target(it is the Foundation after all).

096:

1. Would probably be first-person.
2. Your target/targets would be marked and you have to reach them in as little time as possible.

Thoughts? I haven't really fleshed these out yet so I'm open to suggestions and concerns.

Re: I have no idea how to code and I want to learn.

SaitoFOX wrote:
Ruins72 wrote:
SaitoFOX wrote:you spent $1000 on a engine you have no idea how to use?

*snip*
No, I didn't. I'm broke. I found it and figured why not?
you found a copy of Unity pro?
yup. I also decided to download the cryengine 3 sdk in case I felt the need to mess with it later on. Believe me I wouldn't buy something like this without having any idea what the hell I was doing.

Re: I have no idea how to code and I want to learn.

SaitoFOX wrote:
Ruins72 wrote:
SaitoFOX wrote:something does'nt smell right.

you pirated it did'nt you?
yes, yes I did. I am suuuper broke and never gonna save that much(or at least not anytime soon)
when you release your game, you better hope they don't do a licence check.
Oh no I'd never release something with a pirated copy. I just want some experience and time to get used to working with it. Now that I'm thinking about how to solve my problem a little more, if I save what's left of my financial aid and save up the rest if that doesn't cover it I may have enough to buy a legit copy.