Re: How to "Update" Your mod?

Either there should be backwards compatibility, or some detailed explanation on here. I do know that I've seen a couple mods on here that make new rooms, but attempting to add those rooms to the .ini file after copy-pasting the code into the base file will either result in memory access violations, "inability to load map 0" or something like that, or the rooms just will not appear.
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote:Either there should be backwards compatibility, or some detailed explanation on here. I do know that I've seen a couple mods on here that make new rooms, but attempting to add those rooms to the .ini file after copy-pasting the code into the base file will either result in memory access violations, "inability to load map 0" or something like that, or the rooms just will not appear.
Well I had to update my 008 mod several times during development and it never had any issues, it was just slightly time-consuming.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

InnocentSam wrote:
Nightmare Tank wrote:Either there should be backwards compatibility, or some detailed explanation on here. I do know that I've seen a couple mods on here that make new rooms, but attempting to add those rooms to the .ini file after copy-pasting the code into the base file will either result in memory access violations, "inability to load map 0" or something like that, or the rooms just will not appear.
Well I had to update my 008 mod several times during development and it never had any issues, it was just slightly time-consuming.
Well I got a bunch of mods from v0.7.4 but attempting to copy-paste their source code into the related v0.8.1 files as well as their rooms into the .ini file yields the above issues...
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:
Well I got a bunch of mods from v0.7.4 but attempting to copy-paste their source code into the related v0.8.1 files as well as their rooms into the .ini file yields the above issues...
It's best to let the respective mod author know that some people want the mod updated to 0.8.1 (or any newer version). They know their code best, and it'd be easier to port.
SCP - Box of Horrors v0.8.0b
Twitter
Github Profile

Just extract the mod info into the new SCP folder you'd like to mod. Then work from there:
  • Check for M.A.V.'s, and see what's causing the problem (usually files that don't belong, such as removed ones, AND A BIGGIE: WRONG. FILE. EXTENSIONS.)
  • Update the files that haven't been extracted into there
  • In some cases, new animations/durations to models/sounds have to be added
That's basically it. I hope I helped. :D

EDIT: Just noticed you said source code. I'd compare the files, and see if anything has changed.

Want to know how I updated mine?
This.
Get the vanilla and your modded code, and find what lines are modded. Copy them somewhere else, and note the line numbers.
Then compare the old vanilla and new vanilla, and paste in the modified lines using the line numbers as a reference or re-write them if the coding changed in the update.
Last edited by mrpeanut188 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.