Re: Converting rooms from .3dw to .b3d

So I've gone through and converted all 3dw files to b3d files (whew!) And now, I'm trying to import them into Unity.
I've already handled collision by creating a script that assigns a box collider to every piece automatically. My question is, is there an algorithm that places materials on each mesh in blitz3d? When importing into unity the only materials that come with are lightmaps that don't work anyways, as shown below.
I don't mind hand placing materials, I just want to know if there is an easier way.

juanjpro wrote:The b3d models should include the materials on a separate texture layer. Play around with the importer you're using to get them from the files, or maybe use fragmotion to convert the files into a more standard format that supports dual uv and multitexturing.
This is after export from 3d world studio, correct? So if they are not there in 3dw I can assume that they aren't already painted on? I'm using the rooms folder from the site (http://www.scpcbgame.com/rooms.rar) so maybe the texture files just aren't included?

Here's how it looks in 3d world studio. Going into the texture browser just shows what I think are the generic textures that come with 3dw.

juanjpro wrote:Oh, I see what's wrong. Go into 3dws' settings and point the textures folder to GFX/map/ from the latest version of the game, then restart it and re-export.
Oh man, that did it! Now I just have to figure out how to bring the materials with it into unity. I think I'll check out that fragmotion program you were talking about. Currently I'm going .b3d to .dae to .fbx, but maybe I can just go straight from .b3d to .fbx. Either way, this is awesome and will shave off a ton of time re-applying them by hand, thanks so much

So I've played around with quite a few pieces of software and can't seem to get the textures to go with the .b3d files after export. The closest I've gotten is with 3d Object Converter, which shows a list of materials that do seem to correspond to the objects in the mesh, but that have lost their texture references. Still, these aren't the textures that are definitely showing up now in 3d world studio. Any ideas? It seems almost like the lightmap is overriding the textures themselves. I attempted to delete lighting in 3d world studio but that still didn't seem to fix anything. I also tried exporting in other formats but it seems that those are even less widely used nowadays unfortunately.

Success! After purchasing Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro, I was able to convert the .x file exported from 3d world studio into a .fbx file supported by Unity and import it. The one kink to work out is keeping mesh pieces separate so that I can add collision but I can now start to build room prefabs and the map creator that will build the random maps with the room prefabs.
Thanks guys! I'll post in the collaboration forum once I have the first demo to show.