Converting rooms from .3dw to .b3d

Hello folks! I'm working on porting containment breach to a different engine as a fun side project - I've loved this game for years and my friends and I are interested to see if I can actually pull this off! I'm not going to make a big announcement until I have a working gameplay loop to show off, but I already have working sprint and blinking w/ meters as well as event driven buttons and doors.

The good news is that I've managed to generate a workflow for converting from .b3d to .fbx (using four different programs, haha) and am pulling the npc models into the engine without a problem, but I have been stumped by the 3dw files for the rooms. I can't seem to find a copy of 3D world studio or a program that can convert from that format, and all I want to do is convert them into a format I can import into the new engine. Is there a way to obtain the latest rooms in .b3d format? I've noticed that they are in .rmesh format inside the game's files but from my lurking I'm pretty sure that they aren't something I can convert myself.

Anyways, thanks for listening. I know this is out of the blue for my first post but I have been lurking on the forums and playing containment breach for quite a while now, am just hoping there's an easy solution to port this to an engine which could allow the project to grow for many more years! Thanks

Re: Converting rooms from .3dw to .b3d

Thanks so much for the link! Unfortunately, I'm still left in the same situation as before when i tried to use the trial version. Without being registered, I cannot export from 3d world studio. I even went to the trouble of setting up a windows 7 vm just to try and see if that fixed it (I'm running 10 natively) and still no dice.

I plan on porting it to Unity as I have around 2 and a half years of experience working with it. I saw that there was an existing one but it looks like it hasn't been worked on in months. I am more interested in making a full conversion before I start modifying assets, which is why I was hoping I could use the existing assets and add Unity's improvements such as lighting, component based / OO based scripting, etc.

zornor90 wrote:I plan on porting it to Unity as I have around 2 and a half years of experience working with it. I saw that there was an existing one but it looks like it hasn't been worked on in months. I am more interested in making a full conversion before I start modifying assets, which is why I was hoping I could use the existing assets and add Unity's improvements such as lighting, component based / OO based scripting, etc.
It may still be worked on silently, in which case merging the two projects would benefit most.
If not, then I wish you luck, and hope you can get it seen through to the end. Unity's a great choice because it's a powerful engine and would be able to withstand more content. The official Blitz version has hit its limits, since the engine in question is about 16 years old, whereas Unity is still actively updated to modern technology, and DirectX 7 is poorly supported for Windows 8 and beyond. When you're ready to show off a demo/content in your port, remember to post a thread about it to the "Collaboration" section of the SCP sub-forum.

KirbyMario12345 wrote:
zornor90 wrote:I plan on porting it to Unity as I have around 2 and a half years of experience working with it. I saw that there was an existing one but it looks like it hasn't been worked on in months. I am more interested in making a full conversion before I start modifying assets, which is why I was hoping I could use the existing assets and add Unity's improvements such as lighting, component based / OO based scripting, etc.
It may still be worked on silently, in which case merging the two projects would benefit most.
If not, then I wish you luck, and hope you can get it seen through to the end. Unity's a great choice because it's a powerful engine and would be able to withstand more content. The official Blitz version has hit its limits, since the engine in question is about 16 years old, whereas Unity is still actively updated to modern technology, and DirectX 7 is poorly supported for Windows 8 and beyond. When you're ready to show off a demo/content in your port, remember to post a thread about it to the "Collaboration" section of the SCP sub-forum.
Awesome, thanks for the information. I'll definitely make sure to post the demo there once I have one! Are you aware of an easy way to convert the room files from .3dw, or just get a folder of them in .b3d format so that I can do the conversion to .fbx and port into Unity?

zornor90 wrote: Awesome, thanks for the information. I'll definitely make sure to post the demo there once I have one! Are you aware of an easy way to convert the room files from .3dw, or just get a folder of them in .b3d format so that I can do the conversion to .fbx and port into Unity?
Sadly not, I haven't learned Unity yet and won't until next year.

KirbyMario12345 wrote:
zornor90 wrote: Awesome, thanks for the information. I'll definitely make sure to post the demo there once I have one! Are you aware of an easy way to convert the room files from .3dw, or just get a folder of them in .b3d format so that I can do the conversion to .fbx and port into Unity?
Sadly not, I haven't learned Unity yet and won't until next year.
You're in for a treat when you do, it's a pretty amazing engine and there are a lot of cool features coming out in the next year or two.

Does anyone have any ideas for converting / obtaining these files?