Why sending a man?

This topic is related to Exploration IV which has been abanonded and then accidentally revived by me (potatoes gonna potate) so I'm just posting here a copy of my post.

As I am curious about some SCP stuff such as why they send in their staff when they can do it safely so here we go:

I just picked up on a topic thanks to TatsTopVideos movie on youtube about SCP objects so I might revive old topic but still, I'm interested.

Why wouldn't the SCP Foundation send in a modified drone? Like the ones that are used by army to disarm explosives?

2 sets of independently suspended threads can carry such a vehicle down the stairwell with ease. Numerous sensors (such as Geiger's counter, electromagnetic detectors) and modified cameras with IR recording capabilities can be installed atop of the chassis along with some firepower if neccessary.
Todays power sources can allow for such constructs to work for hours. Alternatively the drone could be linked to external power source via strong wire soaked in oil (to prevent from blocking on handrail). Oooor a pulley can be set atop of a staircase to ensure the cable drops between sets of stairs properly allowing the vehicle for unlimited movement.

If necessary drone could be accompanied by D-Class personel to ensure drone is running smooth and cable is not stuck anywhere along the road.

What do you guys think?

Re: Why sending a man?

You're right, it would make much more sense just to send a drone down the stairwell.

Why they didn't, I'm not sure. The Containment Breach game apparently takes place in the 90s (unless my memory is failing me, please correct me if it is), so I don't know what kind of drone technology was present back then.
If I'm wrong about the time, then you're right, why didn't they just send a drone down? If that's the case, I have no idea why they didn't. It would've saved them time and D-Class personnel, that's for sure.
The only thing I can possibly think of is that maybe they didn't send any drones or cameras down there because the creature in there destroyed everything they sent. Not just test subjects, but also any objects placed inside the stairwell. That would explain why each new test subject had to put new lights on the stairwell. Because (at least from what I gather from the addendums) the lights aren't there anymore. And it's not like some of the scientists or an MTF would go down there to retrieve all the lights left by the test subject.
So yeah, that's the only thing I can think of. The creature just destroys anything that goes into the stairwell, living or inanimate.

The thing is, if you read the SCP wiki you'll come to the conclusion that the Foundation it's probably one of the loosest, least standardised, least efficient, least professional, least rational hazmat organisations ever. I know this is a pretty bold claim but I can back it up with horrifying case studies as:
  • Free-roaming SCPS: 1048, 368, and more
  • SCP cross-testing: 914, 682, and many more
  • LOLfoundation: 119, and many more
  • No safety standards: 093, and more
  • No researcher safety: 2021, and more
  • No chain of command: 1024, and some more
  • No scientific method, no responsability, no safety at all, no clue whatsoever...
There's so much more, but I can't be bothered. And I'm not even talking meta. The foundation is to dangerous, covert scientific development what Agent 007 is to spies.
SCP-079, SCP-294 & other models / SCP:CB Inventory Mod
I confirm you can win SCP:CB on Keter using only a keycard.

Hakkla wrote:The thing is, if you read the SCP wiki you'll come to the conclusion that the Foundation it's probably one of the loosest, least standardised, least efficient, least professional, least rational hazmat organisations ever. I know this is a pretty bold claim but I can back it up with horrifying case studies as:
  • No scientific method, no responsability, no safety at all, no clue whatsoever...
There's so much more, but I can't be bothered. And I'm not even talking meta. The foundation is to dangerous, covert scientific development what Agent 007 is to spies.
You're right on all that. It's a wonder the SCP is even trusted or managing to secure, contain, and protect anything at all :P

Hakkla wrote:The thing is, if you read the SCP wiki you'll come to the conclusion that the Foundation it's probably one of the loosest, least standardised, least efficient, least professional, least rational hazmat organisations ever. I know this is a pretty bold claim but I can back it up with horrifying case studies as:
I agree with you, some things don't make sense at all to me.
SCP classified documents
SCP-895 Containment chamber modification
D-9341 memoirs
Old topics of interest

CommanderPro100 wrote:
Vulpest wrote:You guys do realise this is a necrotised post, eh? Check the first post, that was at least four months ago.
Again, never saw the problem with necroposting if the thread was revived for a valid reason.

Same.

Anyway, I take back what I said earlier. I guess sending a Drone down SCP-087 would be a bit smarter, but I'll still keep the theroy that SCP-087-1 would not give the same reaction to a Drone then to a Human.

And to Hakkla, yes. I agree. I don't see why we trust the foundation with ANYTHING. I mean, look at the experimentation log for SCP-682. So many people died, and for what, results?