Why didn't the SCPs kill us before we could contain them?

We didn't have this technology 100 years ago, we had no mass media, we were more naive. So, why didn't the SCPs kill us? They clearly had the upper hand. Even if we move forward in technology at this rate it is likely that in another 100 years we have eliminated most of the SCPs, unless they have "evolved" so to speak.
SCP classified documents
SCP-895 Containment chamber modification
D-9341 memoirs
Old topics of interest

Re: Why didn't the SCPs kill us before we could contain them

Brunou8 wrote:We didn't have this technology 100 years ago, we had no mass media, we were more naive. So, why didn't the SCPs kill us? They clearly had the upper hand. Even if we move forward in technology at this rate it is likely that in another 100 years we have eliminated most of the SCPs, unless they have "evolved" so to speak.

I think that the SCP's were studying us, as we were studying them. I mean, why kill a target, when you can study it to CONTROL it?

I don't know, it seemed the most logical subject and answer to dawn apon.

That's a bit obvious. Some of them are intelligent, enough in my opinion to notice that the human being is a threat for them. If I saw that a species evolves in an expedited manner, so much so as to bring me down, I would try to stop that when I can. This is not an individual thought, most world leaders think so, happens every day.
SCP classified documents
SCP-895 Containment chamber modification
D-9341 memoirs
Old topics of interest

Juicy wrote:"The SCPs" aren't a sentient entity, they are unexplained anomalies which are independent of each other. They don't make plots to destroy the humanity.

That is partially not true. If, for example, SCP-One-Zero-Six was not sentient, how would It take it's victims? Also, true. The SCP's are not one. But, what if a single being is responsible for making, if not controlling, these creatures?
Juicy wrote:They don't make plots to destroy the humanity.
I think SCP-Six-Eight-Two would.

Juicy wrote:
SyphenTV wrote:
Juicy wrote:"The SCPs" aren't a sentient entity, they are unexplained anomalies which are independent of each other. They don't make plots to destroy the humanity.

If, for example, SCP-One-Zero-Six was not sentient, how would It take it's victims?
I was talking about them as a whole

Yes, quote what else I said.
SyphenTV wrote:The SCP's are not one. But, what if a single being is responsible for making, if not controlling, these creatures?
Though, I might have not gotten my point across correctly.

Not really sure what Mass media has to do with anything, especially since newspapers and such were pretty common one hundred years ago. I'd also say we weren't naive back a hundred years ago; if anything we were more cynical, with World War one raging, and the Paris Peace conference is about as cynical as you can get ("Hey, countries bankrupted by the war? Pay us all of your money. Also it's all your fault.") I guess it's not the point of the discussion, but we were NOT naive 100 years ago. The Foundation back then would have probably been far harsher back then than now. Women

Anyway, would the Foundation have really been that weak? SCP-682 can be contained by acid and a tank; probably not something you'd find laying about in the street, but something that you'd be able to get with enough cash. Would they really be capable of killing us all? And who's saying they were around 100 years ago? Who's saying 106 wasn't the result of some horrible Nazi experiment? Most skips can't cause damage on a wide scale.

My question is why would the skips kill us before we could contain them?

There is no unified canon on the site, so one could posit a canon where this actually happened.

As for my own headcanon? I figure a lot of anomalies simply didn't exist prior to the 20th century. Yes, some did, but not all. And a lot of the ancient evils are contained with knowledge or rituals which don't require much in the way of technology to perform. Some just have alien logic, and the elimination of humanity would be an unintended side effect of their functions when pursuing goals we don't understand, rather than a purpose. Ultimately there's probably some willing suspension of disbelief here, though checking out the various 001 proposals may help you get a handle on the universe.
If you have the time or inclination you can check out stuff I've authored for the SCP Wiki here: http://www.scp-wiki.net/dr-cimmerian-s-personnel-file

Also hello from the SCP Wiki!

I have to agree with Juicy, While there are definitely some very scary SCP's they are not allied nor do most of them have intentional goals of destruction.

Yeah we have some like SCP-682 who would cheerfully eradicate all human life (assuming it can be ... cheerful) but we have otheres like SCP-096 or SCP-173 which only seem to kill humans incidentally.

We also have others who are hostile and intelligent but don't seem to have goals which we can even understand.

Juicy wrote:
Waylander wrote:I have to agree with Juicy, While there are definitely some very scary SCP's they are not allied nor do most of them have intentional goals of destruction.

Yeah we have some like SCP-682 who would cheerfully eradicate all human life (assuming it can be ... cheerful) but we have otheres like SCP-096 or SCP-173 which only seem to kill humans incidentally.

We also have others who are hostile and intelligent but don't seem to have goals which we can even understand.
I'm glad somebody got my point :)
Yea, not that I read that, I see your point. I didn't get it at first, and I am sorry for that XD