Re: SCP-096 DISCUSSION

mrslig100 wrote:I dont know if I should be bumping the thread for this but I cant help but think 096's new model is a little highpoly.
I mean blitz3D isnt exactly the new unreal of all graphical engines and to have a facecount of 22822 seems a little unnecessary...
Surley it could be lowered a little bit?
That would be Night's domain since he is the designer and animator of the model. I don't think I ever really knew if the polys were high on 096. Night is still working on the 096 model improving the animations so perhaps he may address the polycount, I don't know.

mrslig100 wrote:I dont know if I should be bumping the thread for this but I cant help but think 096's new model is a little highpoly.
I mean blitz3D isnt exactly the new unreal of all graphical engines and to have a facecount of 22822 seems a little unnecessary...
Surley it could be lowered a little bit?
Well, first of all, you just doubled the amount of polygons used on the model (it's about 11k), which is a big factor if you ask me, since 11k and 22k is quite a big difference.
Secondly, this was one of my first models ever made, so I was kind of messing around with the amount of polygons and such. If you take the MTF model I'm working on now, as an example, it has only about 4k polygons.

As for changing the amount, I don't think I will do that, it could be done, obviously, but removing certain polygons would also mean that I would have to change the textures.

edit*
I checked the amount of polygons used on the model right now. And the exact number appears to be 11,425 (including the eyes mesh)
Some quick links for myself (and you all too).
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Well, first of all, you just doubled the amount of polygons used on the model (it's about 11k), which is a big factor if you ask me, since 11k and 22k is quite a big difference.
Secondly, this was one of my first models ever made, so I was kind of messing around with the amount of polygons and such. If you take the MTF model I'm working on now, as an example, it has only about 4k polygons.
11k!?
Either im tripping on tiredness or 3ds max 7 is a lying piece of [DATA REDACTED].
Probobly both :p well 11k is fair enough, much better than my first model anyway. :P
For a first piece of work its bloody good!

JC75 wrote:I'd like to say that even though the canon (and the documents ingame) state that under no circumstances should 096 be contained within a room that has surveillance cameras, for obvious reasons, but in game the 096's containment room has a monitor outside of it. I dont know if the monitor works so that if you would to see his face via the monitor, he would get hostile, but i think it should be removed as per canon.
You're talking about his old lockroom in 0.6, there's no surveillance cameras in his room in 0.7.

Also, when 096 gets angry even if you run into him or look at a part of his body WITHOUT seeing his face...is that a glitch? Cause it's unnervingly annoying to say the least. I don't want :096: to come after me every time I enter that damned room.
"Yes, it's a goddamn nuke, but if 682 survives and adapts we'd be boned beyond belief."

scpharrisee wrote:Also, when 096 gets angry even if you run into him or look at a part of his body WITHOUT seeing his face...is that a glitch? Cause it's unnervingly annoying to say the least. I don't want :096: to come after me every time I enter that damned room.
That's probably a known problem but i've heard that it is nearly impossible to code something like that with the engine.

Zarpox wrote:
scpharrisee wrote:Also, when 096 gets angry even if you run into him or look at a part of his body WITHOUT seeing his face...is that a glitch? Cause it's unnervingly annoying to say the least. I don't want :096: to come after me every time I enter that damned room.
That's probably a known problem but i've heard that it is nearly impossible to code something like that with the engine.
I'm sure it is a glitch, since the article states that only looking at its face triggers him.
It is probably not that hard to fix, since the only thing that would need to be changed is the area of triggering (the area in which you have to look).
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

On that note, I've seen people on YouTube (on a few occasions) look through the glass and get a near straight-on look at his face, but 096 doesn't get set off. Are the windows made of Telekill or something like that?

To be honest, I don't like how he walks around nonchalantly after ripping 096-1 to shreds. It makes the room exceedingly difficult to progress through, not to mention the aforementioned "look anywhere" glitch.

We didn't have this problem when he was sitting down, did we? What if 096 sat back down in the middle of the room after the scripted sequence? If my hypothesis is correct, we won't suffer this glitch anymore without having to make drastic changes. Plus it makes death-by-096 more intentional (which was part of his charm) and atmospheric. Especially with the... noise he makes while seated.
My Acting Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalBunghole

I think 096 walking around is actually creepy as hell and great, but only if they can make it so that he won't enter ultra-pissed mode if you run into him and the like. if this is not possible, then i am for 096 sitting down again.

at least don't have him walking around the doorway? that way we can have him be active while also not making the room damn near impossible to explore.
"Yes, it's a goddamn nuke, but if 682 survives and adapts we'd be boned beyond belief."

Killing_You wrote:On that note, I've seen people on YouTube (on a few occasions) look through the glass and get a near straight-on look at his face, but 096 doesn't get set off. Are the windows made of Telekill or something like tthat
That's what we need. Not goggles with microcomputers in them. Just goggles made of whatever the hell is in those windows.

Anyway, I got a memory access violation at the beginning of the scene. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with 096, but it happens each time I load the save. Is there a way to fix it without starting a new game?

Edit: Not sure if this is relevant to the topic. If it isn't, I'll repost it in bug reports.
spartan322 wrote:it is not every day that an SCP comes out of the closet.
"I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath."
My SCP playthrough
Trex plays Amnesia: AMFP