[0.7/.1] Small complaint in the intro sequence.

While I really do love this event, I feel the way the scientist and the guard are killed off in the beginning of the breach can be very confusing. First off, as soon as you enter the first room, you hear the scientist trying to lead the guard with him to the nearest exit. This, in my opinion is a very neat scene, but I feel that the clip should play when the player nears the door to the stairs, as playing once they pass through the door to the chamber hearing someone talking can be confusing. Second, I feel strongly that the event should occur not based on a timer, but on the player approaching the two. Or at least activate the timer once the player has actually opened the door.

I've seen so many LPers become immediately confused when they're looking around the newer room and suddenly the lights turn off accompanied by a neck cracking sound. It sorta ruins the event in my opinion. This is why I think you should actually see them by the time the event starts, otherwise it'll just make the player confused.

Lastly, I feel that 173 should leave briefly after he kills the two, perhaps a vent suddenly appearing on the ground as 173 disappears and continues to explore the facility. Having 173 in that room is a major obstacle in that some players might shy away from the room, which is probably one of the most important rooms of the game. It has the gas mask, batteries and the note on 173, so there shouldn't be something that discourages the player to take them.

I do like the appearances of more NPCs, mainly survivors, and I love this event when it's executed correctly. Otherwise, it's a bit confusing and discouraging.
It slep time bunner.

Re: [0.7/.1] Small complaint in the intro sequence.

seaal wrote:The 3rd paragraph, I support, but the sequence is mainly something you are actually only supposed to hear. Seeing them is just kinda a bonus.
While that's a bit true, I really think the sequence is MUCH more effective when you see them. Especially the way D-9341 turns out to sort of be a distraction to them, as they turn to look at him coming down the stairs. If you just see the lights go off and hear necks snapping, it's a bit confusing, and one might think that they actually died before the lights turn back on.
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:While I really do love this event, I feel the way the scientist and the guard are killed off in the beginning of the breach can be very confusing. First off, as soon as you enter the first room, you hear the scientist trying to lead the guard with him to the nearest exit. This, in my opinion is a very neat scene, but I feel that the clip should play when the player nears the door to the stairs, as playing once they pass through the door to the chamber hearing someone talking can be confusing. Second, I feel strongly that the event should occur not based on a timer, but on the player approaching the two. Or at least activate the timer once the player has actually opened the door.

I've seen so many LPers become immediately confused when they're looking around the newer room and suddenly the lights turn off accompanied by a neck cracking sound. It sorta ruins the event in my opinion. This is why I think you should actually see them by the time the event starts, otherwise it'll just make the player confused.

Lastly, I feel that 173 should leave briefly after he kills the two, perhaps a vent suddenly appearing on the ground as 173 disappears and continues to explore the facility. Having 173 in that room is a major obstacle in that some players might shy away from the room, which is probably one of the most important rooms of the game. It has the gas mask, batteries and the note on 173, so there shouldn't be something that discourages the player to take them.

I do like the appearances of more NPCs, mainly survivors, and I love this event when it's executed correctly. Otherwise, it's a bit confusing and discouraging.
You know, I have seen that same thing with LPers. Almost all of them were confused and unable to pinpoint where the voices were coming from. I'd have to say that I agree with you on this one. I also agree with your possible solutions. Why have the two there if you will most likely miss what happens?

The thing I am thinking is that this event thing should be right after the old first room.

Why I think this is because....

1st. They immediately want to escape. Right when the warning on the intercom turns on, they all the sudden know what happened and want to escape. (The scientist and guard)
2nd. My first instinct is NOT GOING DOWN THERE after hearing what happened to the guard and scientist. So I completely missed the gas mask.

So yep.
http://gorillagong.com/

I've become a gorilla.

Also, another suggestion I had in mind was introducing the key card much earlier in the game. As you know, they're were mainly found only in the office areas, with them and the entire zone pushed towards the exits, I think introducing the keycards very early on would be a good idea. Perhaps you can nab a level 2/3 key card off of the dead scientist in the intro room, as well as a document maybe?
It slep time bunner.

Omniary wrote:Also, another suggestion I had in mind was introducing the key card much earlier in the game. As you know, they're were mainly found only in the office areas, with them and the entire zone pushed towards the exits, I think introducing the keycards very early on would be a good idea. Perhaps you can nab a level 2/3 key card off of the dead scientist in the intro room, as well as a document maybe?
^^^Seriously, this. I can't tell you how annoying it is to find the lvl 2 card and it seems it can't be used anywhere except the door for the SCP that lets you upgrade items.

This scene was so confusing. I literally thought some invisible person was talking to me, until I realized they were downstairs talking to each other.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another problem is that the addition of this room is made as if the game was for players that are fully experienced. While I know the game mechanics well after playing SCP for more than half a year, some people do not know at all about how this game works.

A noob player can be constantly killed or be discouraged to go down there because he/she won't be prepared for SCP-173. They may not even be aware that you must look at it, and the document that tells you how to deal with 173, the gasmask that is a major requirement for trying to beat this game, and the batteries (which are a rare find) will be totally missed.

The old intro hallway was like a whole tutorial and basic gear-up in one. In the old hallway: You go to the 2 small rooms, grab the document, read it, have all the basic knowledge necessary for evading 173, grab the gasmask, have what is needed to get across gassed areas, grab the batteries, and you are all set for the game.

However (in a begginers point of view), in the new intro hallway: You hear a confusing conversation, get mislead, open the door downstairs, likely die (due to lack of understanding on how to deal with 173 or lack of understanding which direction it comes from), restart all over again, skip the door due to desire to avoid that death, continue the game completely unprepared and unequipped.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This new room is somewhat quite an issue.
How to beat Tetris like a boss
Spoiler

Exactly. You realize afterwards, which is what makes it so chilling - plus the moment I hear that voice and saw a door, I knew the voices were from people in that new area. Obviously many players didn't get that, but I did.

How can we see the scientist and guard right before they get killed and expect 173 to leave the player alone after? However, I seriously, seriously agree with 173 not being in that room. And the keycard nabbing stuff. But I think the rest is mostly fine; it gave me a chilling feeling to walk towards the door to greet the talking people then hear a CRACK, realizing :173: was down there....
"Yes, it's a goddamn nuke, but if 682 survives and adapts we'd be boned beyond belief."