Re: Custom ships

I recently finished a boat I made that took a bit of work. It's a teamwork focused boat, and plays quite a bit different from the standard ones that come with the game. It isn't harder per se, but some tasks one person could do by themselves now take two people to perform adequately.

I based the layout loosely on a real submarine (I'm a sonar tech BTW) with the forward cone focused on command and the aft focused on engineering, with the reactor splitting the boat. If doors are kept closed, the reactor can be kept dry even if the entire boat is flooded if the bilge pump is on, while still allowing people to come in/out via the duct in the bilge. It's essentially a spot you can go if you have no air, provided nobody opens the doors. None of the doors are security locked, the con is open as well as engineering. This isn't so much of an issue since everything is open and it is easy to see someone up to sketchy shit. The forward and aft compartments are connected at the top with a passageway, they are completely separate otherwise. One half could completely fill up with water before the other starts seeing water, provided the reactor doors are shut. This gives crew time to respond to flooding and not have to wade through constantly rising water throughout the entire boat. I also went with a ladder system instead of a stair/door system, this is to discourage people rushing for dive suits and just rocking a suit all game, breathing masks actually see some use here. The railgun loading/charging system is down in weps, the firing mechanism is up in the con, so trying to reload and monitor ammo/charging while manning the gun is very time consuming, best done with a shipmate helping. The airlock has no outside button, requiring the help of a shipmate to open/close when leaving. If he closes it behind you and something happens to him inside...

But that's enough rambling. There might be a few kinks in it, but real subs almost always have something busted as fuck so I will probably keep it as is, and let players fix issues by themselves. Check it out if you'd like, maybe borrow some ideas if you want. I don't really see anyone else using the bilge concept, which is strange considering how important bilges are on real boats. The bottom-left bilge has no drain pump, it's meant to be drained manually via the ballast tank connected to it.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=983 ... 7153326157

Custom ship: New Avalon mk2

I have reworked the old Avalon sub originally by asialsky. i have made a few changes to the structure and functionality and reworked the wiring. it has successfully completed single player quests and at least one multiplayer quest.

download link:
https://mega.nz/#!1ApmmKjD!6q0493tNfhlz ... KMbCtpYvmA

Custom sub rework: New Avalon mk4

Like i said in the last post: I have reworked the old Avalon sub originally by asialsky. i have made a few changes to the structure and functionality and reworked the wiring. it has successfully completed single player quests and at least one multiplayer quest.

if the piranha is a small sub and the aegir is a large sub, then this sub could be described as a "medium" sub

i did some work on the mk2: enlarged the ballast, added an engine, tweaked the oxygen machine so the sub isn't a floating casket, and redid wiring so you can actually see what's attached to what.

New Avalon mk4: https://mega.nz/#!5UxFnaqL!4rO9HEDF8zQ5 ... 75pkvkSoSU

Has the level creation system changed, or has it stayed the same? I thought it adjusted the map to fit the size of the submarine you're using, so it can always fit through tunnels and whatnot. But I made a large sub based on the typhoon, it often ends up stuck at the start because it can't fit through the vertical tunnels. It's a bummer.