subsurface backstory?

it would be nice if there is a backstory for subsurface. like, what if they go to europa because eart was destroyed by a virus named fmist or the trend of population control went wrong and everyone become sterile or something like that.

so i hope you guys can make a backstory for subsurface and post it here. (and i will read it)
Furries and FnaF fan must be terminated to avoid incident-[REDACTED]
- DR.Yonzo

Re: subsurface backstory?

I don't know if it really needs a backstory beyond humanity's instinct to explore. We don't explore our current oceans in order to find a cure for a disease or fix some major problem, we do it simply out of natural curiosity. It wouldn't be any different on another planet, we'd want to see what's down there too.

sgarv wrote:IN THE DISTANT FUTURE, BAROTRAUMA IS STILL VERSION 0.2.5

REGALIS IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND

NEARLY ALL HOPE LOST, HUMANITY TAKES TO THE STARS IN ORDER TO FIND THE FABLED VERSION 0.2.6 IN AN ULTIMATE LAST DITCH EFFORT
so scawy, and than an skelton apper than scary all peoples
Furries and FnaF fan must be terminated to avoid incident-[REDACTED]
- DR.Yonzo

MaverickSTS wrote:I don't know if it really needs a backstory beyond humanity's instinct to explore. We don't explore our current oceans in order to find a cure for a disease or fix some major problem, we do it simply out of natural curiosity. It wouldn't be any different on another planet, we'd want to see what's down there too.
But we didn't establish much in term of oceanic colonies, did we? Especially under the ice crust of another planet. Moreover, if it was simply about getting a look, a drone could suffice. I suspect Barotrauma's installations are kind of a big, costly thing, requiring heavy reasons.
In my opinion, humanity's main driving instinct is greed! :D We'd have europan colonies because of some economically interesting resources down there. Probably the "fish": even if they're not edible due to differing biochemistry, they can probably be processed into interesting substances. (And really, apart from them, I can only see ice, water, and possible traces of exotic elements in the water. Not much.)
Another line of thought is linked to the credibility of the ecosystem: sunlight doesn't penetrate the ice, oceanic vents are a looooooong way down... and yet leviathans thrive. There may be some organic scraps that float up to the ice instead of sinking to the bottom, but even then, I'm unsure this would be sufficient to feed the giants implied by the game description. From an external viewpoint, that's suspect; but what if scientists in-universe had no idea either? We'd have a situation where life seemingly stumbled upon a way to either gather absurd amount of energy from almost nothing, or found some unknown material or phenomenon extremely energy-rich. In these conditions, of course research grants for even ridiculously expansive proper on-site research stations would flow: industrials and the military are anxious to know what power the subglacial european ecosystem, and if it can be put to use for their own purpose.

That being said, an extensive background is only useful if it is hinted at in-game, and I think it should be judged on these merits. What matter is if the forged concepts lead to a better gameplay, the rest is of secondary importance.
In regards to the notions I mentioned, fish is extremely important, both as a marketable resource and because crucial scientific discoveries may be hidden in them somewhere. Consequently, ways to capture, study and treat specimens would figure prominently in the submersible, which hints at, say, net-equipped divers, internal aquarium, labs (both for research and to extract chemicals from animals), an internal fauna database...
The "potential for revolutionary energetic discovery" would also be an explanation for all these traitors around: classic dystopian corporation struggles.

Eyeless wrote:snip
+1, those are all great ideas. When the backstory is expanded there should probably be some explanation as to why humanity has an interest in establishing colonies there.

The alien artifacts in the game hint that some kind of alien civilization has been living on Europa at some point (and it might still be). That could be one way to explain where the energy sustaining the ecosystem is coming from and would also be a motivator for exploration. One thing I've been thinking of is there being something deep down at the bottom of the ocean that's keeping the ecosystem functional, maybe some sort of alien technology or even some kind of incomprehensible lovecraftian entity/force that has so far destroyed every drone that has descended deeper than X kilometers...

Cridone wrote:I've always thought it was because of resources. We won't be able to live on this planet forever, so we should try colonizing any planets possible, while getting resources out of it too.
I personally suspect humans are too short-sighted to colonize new planets for preventive purpose, given how casually ours is still treated despite the more and more obvious risks. But I digress. :P

The research facility stuff is good, but there is also something to be said for hasty exploitation provoked by greed or desperate need: it may lead to cutting corners in OSHA compliance stuff, with predictable and !!fun!! results.
There may be way to formulate the background in a way that incorporate all ideas. We have scientific and economical treasures in the subgelid sea of Europa, enough to give respite from a crisis elsewhere if need be. But there's just something wrong with the place, something that just doesn't click with the first impression of heavenly grand prize. There's something deeper going on, so to speak, and the operation's sponsors relentlessly push for deeper and deeper exploration. It's been some time you've not been on Earth so you're not sure why so eager. Perhaps it's simply greed and the need for the colony to pay for itself. Perhaps it's a burning need as planets die elsewhere.
Perhaps it's fear of what could happen if humanity doesn't solve the mysteries of Europa soon enough.