Multiplayer Campaign (Event)

Obviously, we do not yet have the joy of being able to survive together on Europa in a more 'long-term' match officially, only short one-off games. I'm going to go for a wild guess and say that multiplayer matches will probably have some sort of extension added to them similar to the singleplayer campaign in the future, but chances are if that comes to fruition it won't be for some while.

As I'm not patient enough to wait that long, I thought I'd post a thread detailing my idea for a makeshift multiplayer campaign to see whether anyone is interested in such a thing.

TL;DRGeneral gist would be a number of normal multiplayer matches sewn together with some string bought from the $2 store otherwise known as the imagination and a bit of sticky tape for some continuity.

How far in-depth this continuity goes depends entirely on whatever people are interested in, but my suggestion which I hope is not too complex is:

A group of people say they're interested, I'm hoping for a decent amount, (absolute minimum of 6, and that's cutting my own throat. {if you got that i love you}) and we all vote on a submarine to use for the rest of the 'campaign'. As we go through this mission, everything that has happened or has been collected is then modified into the next game. For example, if Mr.Invincible fights to his very last breath against a horde of husks in a battle that will be remembered throughout Europa history and alas takes a fatal blow, thus his body sinks down to the depths of the abyss to be food for the coelanths, then he will no longer be with us for the next match. Or if we happen to stumble upon some ancient ruins (wow, what are the chances?!) which hold oxygenite shards and alien weapons and manage to bring them back to the submarine intact, then they too will be with us for the next match, nothing too different from the singleplayer campaign.

The difficulty level with which we wish to play with is also a figure of debate. For example, should all the welding fuel that was expended on repairs have to be bought back with all the valuable credits that we earned from transporting Nitroglycerin, or should we simply assume that the admirality of the zee bless us with free resupplies, or simply ignore credits overall. Should dead bodies that are brought to the exit have a chance of being revived, or just outright regrowing all their missing limbs. Aforementioned the depth of the campaign is completely free for us to mold like putty, nothing is set in stone. As I'm a sadist when it comes to games like DF, SS13 and of course this, I'm a firm believer in the motto; Losing is !FUN! and so I'd recommend; Having to resupply with earned credits, recovered dead bodies are revived on a d6 roll of >3, manual ballast/engine control (I like the idea of the captain shouting, "Flanking speed!" in remembrance of Silent Hunter,) players can be respawned (or if we're fortunate enough extra people might be brought in) by purchasing a new crew member for a large sum of credits, etc.

While we're at it, may aswell throw in some other additives not strictly in the games, such as suggestions previously mentioned on the forum. One that might work in this case would be the thread about Prisoner/VIP transport. I dont know how I feel about traitors, since this is meant to be a long-term game and as death comes pretty easily it might be a little unfair to have a traitor tasked to assasinate someone. Maybe we can take a note from SS13 and have an objective like, "Retrieve an Ancient Weapon at any cost" - "Have Mrs.Captain shamed and demoted" - "Sabotage all the guns on the ship in preparation for an attack" that may has a time limit of, for example, 2 missions, and if failed missing person posters would be placed all over the ports of Europa saying, "Last seen begging the clown to hide him"

Of course, things are always funner with a little bit of roleplay, so naturally there'd be ranks and jobs depending on how many people are interested. A rough ranking system I could suggest would be (from highest to lowest respectively) Captain - Executive Officer - Pilot - Security - Engineers/Mechanics/Doctors - Ship Crew(Assistants) - :EXPUNGED: - Clown. Oh god, please, let the honkmother bless us with a clown. All these jobs would of course carry on from beginning to the end, unless something happens (like the captain dying and the Executive Officer taking command). There'll also be a restriction on things that can be said and done in game. E.G the captain runs into the wall while doped on hyperzine and dies, a pretty hilarious event in hindsight but you should still not respond with "lol rekt noob". No 'meta-game strats' either, by which I mean security running around with a welding tool fixing breaches as if they were an engineer.

This campaign would continue until either everyone gets bored, or the much, much more likely untimely death of the entire crew. So yeah, if you're at all interested, go ahead and say so. Once enough people are interested, we'll go ahead and discuss an ideal time to play. (Of course there are always going to be those who say, "I like the idea, but I think I'd rather wait for the proper multiplayer campaign" so I doubt too many people are going to be interested.
Last edited by Esoudiere on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Multiplayer Campaign (Event)

I am interested, yet I personally dont think that there are enough people online atm to make her such an Rp makeshift multiplayer (call it RMM, lol). Yet I have an question: How are death Occasions going to be managed, I mean does that mean the killed üerson simply leaves the server, pr that he changes name and is a newly bought crewmate? OR that he immediately suicides once he Spawns?
Hi,

I'm Frost.

Re: Multiplayer Campaign (Event)

Frostdemon727 wrote:I am interested, yet I personally dont think that there are enough people online atm to make her such an Rp makeshift multiplayer (call it RMM, lol). Yet I have an question: How are death Occasions going to be managed, I mean does that mean the killed üerson simply leaves the server, pr that he changes name and is a newly bought crewmate? OR that he immediately suicides once he Spawns?
Well, I'm sure there's atleast 6 people who play this game on a regular basis that have considered what the game would be like with a multiplayer campaign. I'm just curious as to what expectation I haven't satisfied to make those people interested enough to raise their hands.

As for deaths, as I suggested in the original post it'll probably be something like;
  • If body recovered, ~66% chance to be revived, possibly modified by time of death.
    If body not recovered, that crew member is dead.
    Crew members can be rebought for something like $2000 credits.
    New crewmembers follow RP rules and are considered as such, new. No relation to dead crew members.
People who are dead and still wish to spectate can do as such by simply joining late into the round.

As an added note, for anyone curious about the logistics, the editor allows you to save submarines (it's glitchy and crashes upon loading without tweaking it a bit, which I'm happy to do) with player inventories intact, aswell as everything that has been changed such as wiring, contents within lockers, etc. It's remarkably easy and quick to do, for all who fear that they'll be waiting for an hour between each session. It's possible to run two instances of Barotrauma, one in which I can edit and one in which I can play, so there'll likely be little to no delay between rounds whatsoever.