Re: Why not on Steam yet?

Basically what was already said above,

this is my educated speculation:
1. Regalis wants a steadier game(some people still have poor FPS due to many light fixtures, desync netcode, etc.)
2. Regalis wants to release early-access/full paid game, as planned. Remember that Regalis only went to Greenlight because GL was being removed soon, right now the game is free for download because of alpha stage, but if he was to release it he might want to release it as paid. And before that he wants to work a little bit more on the game.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Barotrauma

I have mixed feelings about early access. Personally I dislike the early access model and it seems that some BT players share my view - I've gotten a lot of negative feedback about the "we might go early access at some point" remark on the main page. On the other hand, if people really want to throw money at me, I guess going early access could still be worth considering (getting some funding for the development definitely wouldn't hurt).

But in any case, I don't think the game is ready to go early access just yet. The performance and stability of the game still have to be improved and the multiplayer needs to work smoothly before I would even consider asking money for it; and that's just the bare minimum, I'd rather spend some more time adding more content and polishing existing stuff before putting on a price tag.

Regalis wrote:I have mixed feelings about early access. Personally I dislike the early access model and it seems that some BT players share my view - I've gotten a lot of negative feedback about the "we might go early access at some point" remark on the main page. On the other hand, if people really want to throw money at me, I guess going early access could still be worth considering (getting some funding for the development definitely wouldn't hurt).

But in any case, I don't think the game is ready to go early access just yet. The performance and stability of the game still have to be improved and the multiplayer needs to work smoothly before I would even consider asking money for it; and that's just the bare minimum, I'd rather spend some more time adding more content and polishing existing stuff before putting on a price tag.
I'd say it would still be a good idea to go early access but keep it free until you want to monetize it; that way it's much more convenient to download updates and generally get visibility.

But your call, at the end of the day. The game's looking excellent thus far!