Help Hosting/Joining Servers

Hello everybody

I'm new to Barotrauma and was just having problems hosting servers and joining servers other than the official server. Whenever I try to join a server that isn't the official server or whenever anyone tries to join a server that I'm hosting, it says that it couldn't connect to server host. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Re: Help Hosting/Joining Servers

Have you forwarded the port you're hosting on?

There's some instructions in the FAQ in the main page:
If it seems that players are unable to join your server after starting it from the “Host server” menu, you may have to setup port forwards on your router in order to let incoming connections through. On many router models this can be done by navigating to http://192.168.1.1/ using your web browser, finding the port forwarding settings (sometimes called “application sharing”) and forwarding one of the ports using the following settings:

Service/Application: barotrauma
Port: The port you have selected for your server in the “host server” menu (14242 by default)
Protocol: UDP

The exact steps for forwarding a port depend on your router’s model, but you may you may be able to find a more detailed port forwarding guide for your particular router on portforward.com or by googling your router model + port forwarding.

Regalis wrote:Have you forwarded the port you're hosting on?

There's some instructions in the FAQ in the main page:
If it seems that players are unable to join your server after starting it from the “Host server” menu, you may have to setup port forwards on your router in order to let incoming connections through. On many router models this can be done by navigating to http://192.168.1.1/ using your web browser, finding the port forwarding settings (sometimes called “application sharing”) and forwarding one of the ports using the following settings:

Service/Application: barotrauma
Port: The port you have selected for your server in the “host server” menu (14242 by default)
Protocol: UDP

The exact steps for forwarding a port depend on your router’s model, but you may you may be able to find a more detailed port forwarding guide for your particular router on portforward.com or by googling your router model + port forwarding.
Oh, no sorry I didn't see the FAQ. I'll try that. Thank you for the response.

[Goal] Identify where is the issue.

[Test] Is it port-forwarding, Firewall/computer.

1. Host barotrama map.(check is public)(note Port)
2. Open second barotrauma game FROM SAME COMPUTER.
3. Connect to server 127.0.0.1:14242 (Do not change IP//Port should be the same as step one)
4. Note results.

[Conclusion]
if a connection was made in step 3: computer works fine, issue is with network. Reefer to port forwarding guides.

If you are not able to connect on 127.0.0.1 issue is computer, reefer to firewall, antivirus guides.

i got the same problem. I found the problem but idk how to fix it

You can connect on your server with your gateway port (a binded port from modem)

mine is 192.168.16.125.

But you can't connect from public joining list because the server uses your provider ip, not the gateway one. I call them modem ip and original ip.