Needing help with basic wiring.

So just got this game a day or so ago and am enjoying it a lot so far. Gotten my self into the sub builder and have had great luck understanding everything about sub making except wiring the engines/ballasts and navigation. I cannot get my junction boxes to draw any power for the engines and such, causing them to break as soon as i dump any power into them and trying to just hook them up directly to the reactor isnt working for me either. Here is the link of a simple test sub i've been trying to get going for some time now to no avail. Thanks for any help given.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsug87882x17a ... 3.sub?dl=0

Re: Needing help with basic wiring.

I think it's because there's not much for the reactor to power. Since there's no static load either the voltage spike just burns your junction boxes. Try adding lights and give them a high power consumption. If the difference in Power and Load = Voltage is not high, then there will be no short outs.

Also, the junction box wired to the reactor is not wired to any of the other two ones, which is causing it to sort out instantly since it has a load of 0.

Movement is really weird on small subs for some reason. Kinda like the center of mass is offset somewhere else other than the actual center. I have no idea what affects that but it seems to be less noticeable on bigger subs.

It also affects the autopilot function, which sometimes crashes the sub or make the sub do like, really tight drifting around corners.

Welp after doing what you suggested with things like battery's it is indeed working now and i can move the ship. Unfortunately my battery's and junction boxes keep tripping and lighting on fire. I'm not over working the reactors either I'm setting them to auto control and the ship runs fine until things catch fire.

Hmm... sounds like power spikes from the engine. You could add more items requiring static load or you could partially remove the engine from the main grid. To do the later, wire a junction box to a battery and then wire the battery to a relay component and then the relay to the engine. That will stop the engine from straining the main grid but it will require someone to keep an eye on the battery so it doesn't run out of juice and also to keep aye on the relay since it would eventually short out from the power spikes instead of of random number of junction boxes.

Also, read this: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5037
It contains a lot of useful info about power grids.

Im going to have to try the latter i guess. My junctions are catching fire as i try to start up my power and reach the load level i have at the moment. The one guide made sense in terms of how power is supposed to work..but i cant even get power started without them blowing currently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmb8x2zghy7fv ... p.sub?dl=0

that's the link to the current sub I've been making now that i at least figured out how to make it move reliably. I've tried having the battery's powered up and not powered and the issues been the same.

Ishsty wrote:Im going to have to try the latter i guess. My junctions are catching fire as i try to start up my power and reach the load level i have at the moment. The one guide made sense in terms of how power is supposed to work..but i cant even get power started without them blowing currently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmb8x2zghy7fv ... p.sub?dl=0

that's the link to the current sub I've been making now that i at least figured out how to make it move reliably. I've tried having the battery's powered up and not powered and the issues been the same.
Can you link the guide you mentioned?