Radiation and radiation suits

There could be a feature where if the reactor explodes, very high levels of radiation are emitted around the room (or ship if the reactor room door is open), while keeping in mind that the reactor emits radiation while doing its normal work, but at a safe level of course.

If a player is exposed to a certain amount of radiation, they could suffer radiation poison related symptoms (for example, dizziness or disorientation). This can be prevented by two methods:

A radiation resistant suit-
Obvious from the name, this is special clothing which will provide effective protection from radiation poisoning from radiation covered areas.

A chemical - some sort of chemical, which can be inserted into a syringe, which can temporarily prevent either effects of radiation poisoning or prevent radiation posining touching you at all. This would be very related to the 'RadAway' from fallout 4.

Out of both of these, a radiation suit would be most effective.

There can be some sort of way to decontaminate radiation from an area and one way I imagined this could be possible is by using an electrical, metal radiation container which kind of 'sucks' the radiation into itself and, once it reaches its maximum storage capacity, will lock itself (but can be exploded if broken because of the air pressure). The filled contains can either be kept along or, probably a very anti-environmental friendly move, dumped out into the ocean. They will just look like the traditional cylinder radiation container such as this:
And who could forget, a radiation detection device, measuring lethality of the exposure and/or how much is present. Like this:

So, what do you guys think?

Edit: Also there can be a decontamination chamber which can clean radiation suits ( or just people themselves) by shoot jets of water at them while being cleaned by an automated machine. I was thinking of a concept like this:
Last edited by TheOverseerOfAll on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Radiation and radiation suits

Thats actually an very cool idea in my opinion. Especially with the radiation barrels (which I most likely am going to throw out). Maybe, once these barrels have sealed themsleves once they are full, instead of reacting to heavy impacts with an explosion, they could just simply open, and thus, release the radiation.

This could be an hazard on artifact missions, as some other submarines maybe also had the idea of throwing their radioactive junk out into the ocean, thus damaging any monsters or divers.
Hi,

I'm Frost.

Frostdemon727 wrote:Thats actually an very cool idea in my opinion. Especially with the radiation barrels (which I most likely am going to throw out). Maybe, once these barrels have sealed themsleves once they are full, instead of reacting to heavy impacts with an explosion, they could just simply open, and thus, release the radiation.

This could be an hazard on artifact missions, as some other submarines maybe also had the idea of throwing their radioactive junk out into the ocean, thus damaging any monsters or divers.
or worse. Mutate the monsters. :wink:

Frostdemon727 wrote:Thats actually an very cool idea in my opinion. Especially with the radiation barrels (which I most likely am going to throw out). Maybe, once these barrels have sealed themsleves once they are full, instead of reacting to heavy impacts with an explosion, they could just simply open, and thus, release the radiation.

This could also introduce a new 'cargo' mission where you must carry barrels of nuclear waste from one place to another. I suppose a description for this mission could be that 'Nuclear safety works are offering [number] credits in exchange for delivering barrels of toxic/lethal nuclear waste units to [location name] for proper disposal.

sounds amazing, I started to think a little and it would be cool that when you reach a certain level of radiation (say 50 ''rads'') you get a random effect,
you could get this sickness wich slowly drains your health, disorientation (controls inverted), or a sickness that makes you an ''oxygen sponge'', and you suck air 4 times faster but you never run out of air, or you could get ''mutations'' that actually help like you can stay underwater longer without oxygen and resist more pressure, or you run faster, or increased strength (more damage with wrench, can carry 2 railgun shells at a time, etc). Could make some rounds a complete mess and a lot of fun.

The generator would get an extra component; Nuclear Waste Contamination Unit (NWCU) which would have two barrels in it. As the other one fills up, the barrel will become sealed and the other barrel will start filling up. The already filled and sealed barrel would be taken care of, placed in storage or thrown out in the most creative way, (Depth charge tubes, possibly?) airlocks. Upon heavy impact the barrel would break apart and the waste would spread around. To clean the waste, just have sea water go thru the room OR have the medical officer do something to it, maybe some neutralizing chemicals to clean it up (We are living in the future and using submarines on a moon of Jupiter after all).