Re: Deformation Idea + Base mode

A base mode kind of defeats the purpose of making the original "base" idea a mobile submarine. Honestly it's a strong improvement over a static structure because it opens up far more gameplay opportunities... like interacting with a station!

That said, if it's possible to sync multiple subs, or have more lively campaigns, bases in missions doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility. If alien bases can be generated, lone research stations, abandoned or otherwise, could work. Just a question of priority and resource management by that point.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way."

United Colonies Navy Ship Pack - UPDATED: 28 MAY 18
The Sailor's Manual - UPDATED: 1 JUNE 18

asialsky wrote:Currently, the walls and floors simply turn dark as they get damaged. I understand that the current engine may not support "bending" or "ripping" of metal, even just aesthetically, but I want to know if it's possible to fake it; For instance, some kind of pre-rendered shape alteration from an impact, or even just a shader overlayed onto damaged structure to make it look more rough.
The current engine supports whatever I make it support. :)

The walls-turning-black thing is pretty much just a placeholder that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet, so I'm definitely going to improve the visual wall damage. I haven't yet decided how it will look though: an easy way to do it would be just to render some holes/cracks or use alternate (bent/deformed) sprites for the damaged parts. Another way would be to use a shader that bends the wall sprite (and possibly to deform the collider of the wall along with it).
asialsky wrote:In other news, any chance of an underwater base mode?

Simple implementation: Sub built into the ground, terrain editor possibly needed. (Or just align bottom floor to flat surface)
Not promising anything but it's possible in the future. Even though I think making the actual rounds take place in a static base instead of a submarine would most likely just make the game more boring with very little additional gameplay value, it would be really neat to have bases in the levels in addition to the submarine. What if the outposts you visit were actually physical bases that you have to dock your sub into, and you could make your characters enter them and find some NPCs to buy supplies from or give you new missions?

Regalis wrote: Not promising anything but it's possible in the future. Even though I think making the actual rounds take place in a static base instead of a submarine would most likely just make the game more boring with very little additional gameplay value, it would be really neat to have bases in the levels in addition to the submarine. What if the outposts you visit were actually physical bases that you have to dock your sub into, and you could make your characters enter them and find some NPCs to buy supplies from or give you new missions?
My thoughts exactly.
It'd be amazing to run into a base, dock there(maybe they're even hostile!), all while you're in a game.
In multiplayer games, we seem to run out of supplies on some ships, have that be a plasma cutter, handheld sonars, or simply oxygen.
It'd be nice to run into a trading post, trade some items, or maybe attack it and steal it's supplies!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Barotrauma

QuickLoad wrote:
Regalis wrote: Not promising anything but it's possible in the future. Even though I think making the actual rounds take place in a static base instead of a submarine would most likely just make the game more boring with very little additional gameplay value, it would be really neat to have bases in the levels in addition to the submarine. What if the outposts you visit were actually physical bases that you have to dock your sub into, and you could make your characters enter them and find some NPCs to buy supplies from or give you new missions?
My thoughts exactly.
It'd be amazing to run into a base, dock there(maybe they're even hostile!), all while you're in a game.
In multiplayer games, we seem to run out of supplies on some ships, have that be a plasma cutter, handheld sonars, or simply oxygen.
It'd be nice to run into a trading post, trade some items, or maybe attack it and steal it's supplies!
Raider parties would rise from the sea level and destroy peaceful trading outposts. You, i like you.

The deformation doesn't sound good, it might get messy, expecially with ships those stack their armor plates. I suggest that they would just look something else than... Well, black.

I'd like to see missions based around a base: Perhaps a base recently went offline and there could be survivors. Your objective: Save survivors by either restoring the base or evacuation.
What about a station about to be attacked by a moloch? Or even a traitor station, using it's railguns to block a vital passage that links many above-ground bases to another.
I'd love to see a rescue mission from either a broken sub or base with one team of players, and another team sent into rescue. The possibilities are endless!

zazyman32 wrote:I'd like to see missions based around a base: Perhaps a base recently went offline and there could be survivors. Your objective: Save survivors by either restoring the base or evacuation.
And the survivors will be hunted down by monstrous Husks, and there might just be stage 3 infected monsters prepared for the boarding party, hmm?

Boltersam wrote:
zazyman32 wrote:I'd like to see missions based around a base: Perhaps a base recently went offline and there could be survivors. Your objective: Save survivors by either restoring the base or evacuation.
And the survivors will be hunted down by monstrous Husks, and there might just be stage 3 infected monsters prepared for the boarding party, hmm?
Ooh, sounds fun. Something different: Perhaps the team trapped in the base had the objective of salvaging a artifact, but their sub/shuttle was destroyed or something. For bonus points, finding the artifact and/or the shuttle/sub would let that team win as well.