Ship weapons

I understand that submarines do have cannons and depth charges, but it doesn't make too much sense that a light exploration craft has a RAILGUN INSTALLED ON IT. A smaller, weaker but faster firing autocannon would do, with magazines much like the torpedo racks.

Besides, no one wants to waste a whole torpedo to kill a shrimp beating windows.

Re: Ship weapons

WarlordToby wrote:I understand that submarines do have cannons and depth charges, but it doesn't make too much sense that a light exploration craft has a RAILGUN INSTALLED ON IT. A smaller, weaker but faster firing autocannon would do, with magazines much like the torpedo racks.

Besides, no one wants to waste a whole torpedo to kill a shrimp beating windows.

Agreed, it would be quite fun to have an low-damage-fast-firing-player-controlled-turret (Like 5 damage per bullet and 100 shots per magazine, dealing like 75 dps?)
It would also give an nice lok on some subs, instead of having these big, bulky railgun cannons.
Hi,

I'm Frost.

Frostdemon727 wrote:
WarlordToby wrote:I understand that submarines do have cannons and depth charges, but it doesn't make too much sense that a light exploration craft has a RAILGUN INSTALLED ON IT. A smaller, weaker but faster firing autocannon would do, with magazines much like the torpedo racks.

Agreed, it would be quite fun to have an low-damage-fast-firing-player-controlled-turret (Like 5 damage per bullet and 100 shots per magazine, dealing like 75 dps?)
It would also give an nice lok on some subs, instead of having these big, bulky railgun cannons.
Also it would make more sense to have those upcoming escape pods/shuttles armed with lighter weaponry.

Realism is a bit of stretch from square one; that ship already sailed when we built submarines to fight lovecraftian monsters around Jupiter. So let's be fair: Design it for gameplay purposes rather than realism.

I would be more concerned about invalidating existing weapon types. An autocannon would, using the current set of enemies, health and damage ratios, probably become an overpowered death machine. Rig multiple ones together and it becomes a poor man's laser. The railgun can already kill small enemies at close ranges using the empty shells; you would totally invalidate that by adding a smaller gun, assuming nothing else changes.

I'd be far more inclined to advocate a variety of delivery methods. The railgun already represents our direct fire weapon, for example. What about homing and remotely guided weapons, explosive mortars, static and mobile mines, fleshed out depth charges with proximity fuses or depth settings? What about defensive oriented devices like projectable forcefields or, if you're feeling really adventurous, some kind of melee weapon like a flail or extendable spear?

My vote's still for a wire-guided torpedo.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way."

United Colonies Navy Ship Pack - UPDATED: 28 MAY 18
The Sailor's Manual - UPDATED: 1 JUNE 18

Warhawk wrote:My vote's still for a wire-guided torpedo.
Wire guided torpedoes sound very useful from the way I think it could potentially work. The camera would be attached to the slow moving torpedo and the mouse would be used to direct its movement. This would give more range compared to the range of the rail-gun controller.

TheOverseerOfAll wrote:
Warhawk wrote:My vote's still for a wire-guided torpedo.
Wire guided torpedoes sound very useful from the way I think it could potentially work. The camera would be attached to the slow moving torpedo and the mouse would be used to direct its movement. This would give more range compared to the range of the rail-gun controller.
Agreed, wird guided torpedos would indeed prove pretty useful, but they should only last for a few seconds, and then explode or something, so its not just an controllable railgun shell?

But anyway, I would also like to see some melee weapons for The sub (obviously a ram-spike thingy, that normal ships also had.) or even for The crew itself, so they could also retaliate in melee, instead of only harpooning them. (like...an propelling spike tool, whichblaunches You with high speed into The enemy, for an full battery charge?)
Hi,

I'm Frost.

Railguns can only hit things beyond their range of vision with a lot of coordination by the crew. For a torpedo to last "only a few seconds" completely destroys the point. It should be a heavy weapon that can hit targets at considerable ranges away from the ship, balanced by low ammo counts, generally slow speeds and input lag.

Being able to swing/stab the existing spears would suffice for divers. Would also remove the need for other bladed weapons like knives, since the resource is already there.
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way."

United Colonies Navy Ship Pack - UPDATED: 28 MAY 18
The Sailor's Manual - UPDATED: 1 JUNE 18

QuickLoad wrote:I think a radar guided torpedo is what we're looking for, for balance atleast.
You see a hostile on the sonar, you lock on and fire the torpedo.

The torpedo itself tracks that hostile blip, but it doesn't take note of obstructions such as rocks or a random husk.

If we have player-guided torpedoes, this is gonna be too easy.
Could tie in with a working radio station thing too, so a downed sub cant lock on to everything