Make Barotrauma much darker

I feel it would really help with the atmosphere if Barotrauma was a much darker game, in terms of light intensity. There's no reason to use a flashlight, for instance, because you can see just fine when the sub's unpowered. It should be much, much darker in unpowered areas, and the open waters.

Like, if the submarine is completely unpowered, surely it should be pitch black (or close)?

Re: Make Barotrauma much darker

Yes, not a bad idea.

How about inside a standard submarine, there is going to be a backup generator(in this theory a new addition to the game), which will power emergency lights when the submarine round begins.
If the backup generator is damaged, the emergency lights go down and hopefully by now the crew would've had some sort of illumination in their inventory.

The addition of new monsters would help this survival/horror aspect in this case, in my opinion. Although husks and crawlers would do once boarded.

Of course, the point here is: add a backup generator + emergency lights, make the game super dark.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Barotrauma

QuickLoad wrote:Yes, not a bad idea.

How about inside a standard submarine, there is going to be a backup generator(in this theory a new addition to the game), which will power emergency lights when the submarine round begins.
If the backup generator is damaged, the emergency lights go down and hopefully by now the crew would've had some sort of illumination in their inventory.

The addition of new monsters would help this survival/horror aspect in this case, in my opinion. Although husks and crawlers would do once boarded.

Of course, the point here is: add a backup generator + emergency lights, make the game super dark.
Alot of the custom subs already make use of low power light components as emergency lights, you can also make them drain power, and attach them to a battery. All these things already exist ingame so all we need is less light.
You can allow batteries to start charged, or players can just start with flashlights in their inventory.

I see why some people wouldn't want this, so a hardmode option could be cool, with additional features like no/limited respawning things like that

The problem is not much the amount of darkness, but rather the inefficiency of the flashlight.

If the flashlight was overhauled to give more light in a much bigger cone and radius, it would be definitively used.
Especially engineers and mechanics, as they need to quickly check stuff like wiring, items on the ground, and integrity of the hull, even at the start of the game or when there is no more power.
Noticing and reacting faster to a single breach can make a difference between mantaining the submarine operative, or drowing in a cold and wet grave.

The flashlight would be a fuckload more useful if you could put it in your teeth (head slot) to free hand space, honestly.
As it is right now, the only reason I don't use the flashlight is because it's just plain clunky. If I could use the diving suit AND have a constant cone of light in front of me while also able to use a plasma cutter or explore the ruins, it'd be a ton more useful.

Crystalwarrior wrote:The flashlight would be a fuckload more useful if you could put it in your teeth (head slot) to free hand space, honestly.
As it is right now, the only reason I don't use the flashlight is because it's just plain clunky. If I could use the diving suit AND have a constant cone of light in front of me while also able to use a plasma cutter or explore the ruins, it'd be a ton more useful.
Yea, maybe add headlight? Something to put on head. And for diving suit you could have built in light.
Are you supposed to put stuff here?

-Make Game Darker.
-Give us flashlight or headlamp.
-Game start this generally doesnt matter because if you download a good custom submarine the rail cannons are already loaded, the reactor(s) are already turned on, and everything is neatly organized and you know where to get it.

Of course the idea is still awesome. But as it is, outside the sub its already dark enough.
Just a Doggo that couldnt find a 90 x 90 Doggo picture. So Doggo used Cap'n Jack.