Sentry Turrets:

There was much talk about improving the weapons that crews have for the inside of the ship, but what if we had something that wasn't manueverable(an upgraded harpoon gun), too high damage(a rifle/firearm), and maybe something that needed independent power(batteries).

I came up with the idea of having a sentry gun/turret/camera, but first I thought of turrets in general:

First, it'd be a 2x2 inside someone's inventory, when placed down it has a 1x4/1x5 selection(similar to the railgun magazine or o2 generator's 1x5/1x6), where a user can place:
two batteries(which drain at the same time), a weapon type and a weapon's ammo, and maybe an extra slot for 'underwater operation' or 'sentry turret shield'. 1x4 is also fine.
another idea for battery was a 'sentry turret battery' which could help operate at even higher efficiency without taking up both slots. then the last slot which the second battery used to occupy could be used for an IFF tagging device.
(you sacrifice the ability to detect friend from foe for the ability to shoot in emergency situations, so a two man team could take the batteries out of their headset and have a sentry gun going)

let's just say it fires some type of diving/underwater caliber. in the past underwater calibers needed to: move a reasonable distance underwater, operate underwater, without ricocheting.
5.45x39mm
there was 5.56 nato - 15 meters
7.62x51 nato - 25meters
and of course 12.7 nato - 60meters

(this is where you read if TL;DR)
for sake of barotrauma, let's say we've developed a ammunition type chambered in .22LR(just for low damage, since it travels slow and is a small caliber already), that can travel only 6 meters or less...
regardless the 2x2 deployable can be placed by anyone(which would most likely be taken by security armory or captain's armory), the items/things needed for operation would be:
1. reasonable space(maybe a green/red construction hologram sort of thing to show whether or not you can place it down). once placed down you can press E on it, displaying 1x4 slots and:
2. add a sentry turret(draining pipe, underwater defence system(UDS)), or anything else - i thought about medical but never found a way of implementing it effectively.
3. add a sentry ammo type (exterior hose, UDS ammunition case(15 rounds?))
4. add a power source(sentry turret battery, or two regular batteries)
4a. if added sentry turret battery, can add: 1. IFF tag(detects humanoid objects in this case, does not engage husks, huskhumans, or humans), motion detection radar(will give an overlay similar to the water level overlay, showing red dots everytime anything on the ship moves

you can use the UDS without water which will have a slight larger range than the harpoon gun, but it will also(just like the harpoon gun) have overall not effective range.
bodyarmor will probably stop the UDS's rounds, just like how it will stop most harpoon gun shots. this is because underwater cartridges are only made to penetrate thick diving suits, wetsuits, breathing apperatus's and NOT dry-land bodyarmor and equipment.

the turret also cannot traverse, only elevation and depression
Last edited by QuickLoad on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Barotrauma

Re: Sentry Turrets:

Rather than a 2x2 space, it would make more sense if it can be moven only when in hands, similar to the railgun ammunitions.

IFF should already be enabled without additional items, else it would just be an exhortation to griefing. ID cards can be used to be recognized by the turret, and the captain can manually choose which members the sentry should shoot at. Whichever mode it would be, any kind of creature should be targetet. To avoid accidental killing of friendlies, the sentry should avoid shooting slow projectiles, and rather be a hitscan weapon.

Re: Sentry Turrets:

CapoFantasma97 wrote:Rather than a 2x2 space, it would make more sense if it can be moven only when in hands, similar to the railgun ammunitions.

IFF should already be enabled without additional items, else it would just be an exhortation to griefing. ID cards can be used to be recognized by the turret, and the captain can manually choose which members the sentry should shoot at. Whichever mode it would be, any kind of creature should be targetet. To avoid accidental killing of friendlies, the sentry should avoid shooting slow projectiles, and rather be a hitscan weapon.
hmm I think the 2x2 space would help with it's bulkiness since it'd be a means to defend the ship from internal threats if it's boarded, however I'm not sure if I want to keep going with this, since after speaking with Nilanth I agree with their theory that gunshots would most likely be suicidal and thus maybe something like a taser-sentry would make more sense.

on the other hand, my suggestion on Riot Shields seems like a great idea without a doubt imo
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Barotrauma