It is Highly untested for single player or client usage while also a little untested for dedicated usage (it should work for it though but no guarantees if you crash more).
It offers no cheat-like benefits for Clients unless a server using the modification is setup to allow you that benefit, it may improve net syncing with servers running the modification that change certain values (To feel less buggy) otherwise you have no real reason to get this as a client unless you wish to tweak your single player experience.
It's a little hard to have pictures of a server modification that is primarily modifying mechanics over visual changes, but here you go:
Down to explaining what this actually is for, This server modification allows you to change the very mechanics and calculation of barotrauma on the server side, it allows for you to modify the XML files without the clients having the same modifications, as long as one does not add new content and instead changes values that sync this more or less is ok to do.
It also comes with a variety of new mechanics, Its been hosted a long time under the name "ARS - Epic Survival" without even using its full features, generally these mechanics can all be enabled, disabled and configured to your liking.
The server is capable more or less of the following:
One major flaw is that there is a lack of documentation at the moment, I did not feel this was ready for release but its not strictly buggy as it is possibly confusing.
Another major detail to note is the mod is definitely nowhere near finished, it has disabled features, one or two lines that do nothing and a lot of its nicer features commented out in the code, such as default submarine not being chosen or disabled HUD elements.
The latest version does not crash or write a dump, Just ignore the header error for now as best you can (It still forces the console open - was meant to crash but It neither crashes nor writes the data to file). It does however fix a number of client bugs/irks such as the medical HUD scanner or console spam of issues like "Received a position update for an object without a physics body."
It may be a good idea to have a copy of the game you can always fall back on, just some advice
Please be aware the date below is the current revision of the server modification, and is represented both in date and filename.
Windows ( 15/08/2018-2 ) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/8klgni1kzz04cdf/v0.8.1.12%20ServerMod%20Patch%2015082018-2.rar?dl=0
Linux ( 15/08/2018-2 ) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/81dvk81tdcfrfvt/v0.8.1.12%20ServerMod%20Patch%20Linux%2015082018-2.zip?dl=0
Old Files ( 0.5.4.5 - 0.8.1.12 ) : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vrwhaswwfpyk3yc/AABtFy6O5qbAs88TAPzcYjkLa?dl=0
Github Issue board - Please note I do make mistakes, quite a few in fact. I try to notice and fix them as I go but if you have issues and are not sure if their caused by my modification or not, feel free to use the URL below to report bugs in my modification or even perhaps ideas. :
https://github.com/NilanthAnimosus/Baro ... its/issues
------> Installation and setup Instructions <------
1) Download and install the same version of Barotrauma the mod is intended for - the original game files are a requirement.
2) Extract the files from the archive into the Barotrauma folder (Only settings files the mod cannot yet create on its own are included, do not worry on losing settings unless you tweaked those files in particular).
3 A) If your new to nilmod - Start the game up once to create the config files. then close it and go inside Barotrauma/Data/NilMod/
3 B) If you are from an older version of nilmod, the settings files have had their save location changed. Just move the old configs into Data/NilMod/ and remove the word "NilMod" from the filenames (IE. Data/NilModSettings -> Data/NilMod/Settings).
4) look over the XMLs using any text editor (I recommend Notepad++ for far easier reading!) and modify the settings to your liking - relevant settings are used in single player, as a client and as a server. if you damage any of these files you can either try to fix it, or simply remove the setting file to create a new one, invalid settings are automatically removed and new settings added between updates.
5) either use "nilmodreload" in console if the server is already running (Every setting will take immediate effect mid-round without issues) or start/restart the server.
6) Pretty much finished, experiment with it to your liking and play around with what you can do!