[0.6.1.3] Connection Error (updates, forum, servers)

Shatterhand
Class-D

[0.6.1.3] Connection Error (updates, forum, servers)

Postby Shatterhand » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 pm

So this isn't a run-of-the-mill problem as far as I can tell. I've done searches for others who might've experienced it, but I've come up with nothing. I'm not entirely sure where to start, so I guess I'll begin by saying that I used to play Barotrauma all the time without any problems whatsoever. I started around May or June of last year, but then my interest sort of faded around November because of school, work, etc.

Last week, I tried revisiting Undertow's main page to download an updated version of the game. For some reason, I couldn't connect. I tried Chrome, Firefox, and Opera to no avail. "Site can't be reached", ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT, that sort of stuff. I figured I'd wait a few days and try again; maybe patience would solve this. But it hasn't. I got the same message again today. I decided to try Opera's VPN utility, and suddenly I was able to access Barotrauma's page and the rest of the site without any trouble (in fact, it's the only way I'm able to post on the forums right now).

I downloaded the latest version of Barotrauma for Windows, booted up the launcher, and was greeted with "Error while checking for updates: Couldn't connect to the update server". I figured I'd go ahead and try to find some servers to play on (just to see what would happen), so I started the game up. It loads fine, but when I click to join a server, it gives me a connection error message while refreshing the server list: "Couldn't connect to the master server (request timed out)."

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this? I assume it's related to firewall settings, Internet connection settings, or something along those lines. I use Kaspersky, if that's helpful information.

What's weirded me out so much about this is the fact that I used to be able to play multiplayer, download updates from the launcher for it, and access the site and forums without any trouble whatsoever. Out of the blue, everything's decided to stop working for me though. Not sure what's changed and caused this.

Otherwise, the game itself works beautifully. I've been having fun with singleplayer.

nilanthanimosus
Dr. Bright's Assistant

Re: [0.6.1.3] Connection Error (updates, forum, servers)

Postby nilanthanimosus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 pm

I believe judging by what you've written you won't have any issues connecting to existing servers, just issues with the Master Server sending you the list (Direct IP connection should be Ok).

It sounds like for some reason the website (its IP Address or domain name) itself is being blocked, which is not usually the result of a firewall but a program/hosts file or ISP/DNS (Such as hosts file edits) block. typically anti viruses with web protection features will block specific addresses / IP's from being connected to, something like windows firewall wouldn't block you from the website itself normally.

Since you can connect via a VPN it is more likely to do with ISP or kaspersky (More towards ISP), try researching up "Unblock Sites on Kaspersky" and giving any of the guides a try.

You could also give an alternative public DNS a try if its to do with the ISP, though its typically better to use the DNS your ISP provides (There are simple guides online for that too).
Host of ARS (A Random Server)

Return to “Bug reports”