[0.5.4.2] Billsofat's Submarines NEW RELEASE

A place to share custom submarines for Barotrauma, and custom content in the future.
Billsofat
Class-D

[0.5.4.2] Billsofat's Submarines NEW RELEASE

Postby Billsofat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Now that we've got a forum for this, I guess I'll put my subs here.

I've finished 2 submarines so far, but I have more in progress right now that I'll put up when they're ready. All the information is below.

Stinger
The Stinger is an ultra-compact submarine made for small crews. It is the first sub I've completed so it's not my best work, but it still functions well as a small vehicle.

Due to the small size, the Stinger is a very fast and maneuverable vehicle which helps a lot to be able to get places quickly, move around monsters, nestle up by ruins, etc. The 3 railguns, like on all the subs I make, are positioned to be able to cover as much of the outside as they can. Other than that, the sub contains a good amount of other essential equipment. However, as a consequence of the small size, hull breaches can cause the submarine to quickly sink if too much extra water gets in, so make sure you've got mechanics ready to quickly patch holes if you're doing a lot of fighting. The bumpers/guards in the corners help protect against impacts, and prevent monsters from getting behind the guns.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-hI70zFyVnHZVNoR09wWWRDZmc
Update 11/4/2016:
- Added some spare tools.
- Adjusted the neutral ballast level so the sub won't start sinking after you turn on power.
- There is now one less way to grief the sub.
- Improved the bumpers. They should be more protective against crashes and it is harder for monsters to get behind them.

Torrent
The Torrent is my second completed sub, and the one I am better known for.

Just like all the other subs I work on, the Torrent has a lot of focus on firepower. The 5 railguns can reach pretty much anywhere around the vehicle, and I included a good stock of railgun shells (including nuclear), and there is a locker full of C4 to put in the shells. Another major part of the design is resistance against floods. First off, the reinforced ends of the submarine reduce crash damage from all directions, and help protect certain highly-important rooms. Anywhere in the submarine can be easily closed off to contain floods, and each side of the submarine has it's own pump that all water drains down into. Also, the Torrent runs on battery power. This means there is one less thing for griefers to blow up, and load fluctuations can be handled well. I have not have a single fire/overload incident in the submarine, so it appears to work. The batteries should have enough charge to get through a good long round, even if disasters occur. One final feature I'd like to point out is the artifact containment chamber by the airlock. Just put the artifact in there, and you don't have to worry about oxygen loss or fires.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-hI70zFyVnHdWxDTXcySE1neGM
Update 11/4/2016:
- Part of the ballast is always kept full which should solve the high buoyancy problem. (This worked better than a higher neutral ballast level in case you are wondering.)
- Adjusted the little slots where the railgun shells are stored. It is easier to run over them and the shells shouldn't lean on the wall due to lack of space.

Subomination
A brand-new, powerful large submarine. It's a submarine abomination!

This is a submarine that I started working on a long time ago, but recently decided to improve and finish. It is a large submarine with 7 railguns that can reach all of the area around the vessel, many pumps to easily drain leaks, and good damage resistance. The two shafts by the outer side walls effectively add another layer of walls to protect inner rooms from damage, and allow water to easily drain down to the ballast area. All essential rooms and machines are present in this sub, along with plenty of items to go around. The large medbay and engineering area adds a lot of space to be comfortable in, and it is very easy to get around inside the sub. With all of the railguns, the complete shooting range, and all of the space inside, the Subomination should prove to be a safe and powerful addition to the fleet.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-hI70zFyVnHMjAyWVNWdHd0dkU
Update 1/7/2016:
- Important update: This (mostly) resolves a fire problem that the sub had on release. The sub should be safe for multiplayer use. Read my new command.

Well those are my three submarines, I'll post more when I finish more, and I'll be updating these ones too.
Last edited by Billsofat on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.

QuickLoad
Technician

Re: [0.5.1.3] Billsofat's Submarines

Postby QuickLoad » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:33 am

These are some nice, concrete submarines.
Stinger has a weird design, because although the bumpers are made to stop impacts - they beef up the size of the submarine and make it harder to 'nestle up against ruins'.
The second usage of the bumpers was to stop monsters from getting behind the guns, but theres an opening on each set of bumpers which will actually allow monsters to get in and stay along on the ride, while they continue snacking on the actual hull of the ship.

Billsofat
Class-D

Postby Billsofat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:27 pm

QuickLoad wrote:These are some nice, concrete submarines.
Stinger has a weird design, because although the bumpers are made to stop impacts - they beef up the size of the submarine and make it harder to 'nestle up against ruins'.
The second usage of the bumpers was to stop monsters from getting behind the guns, but theres an opening on each set of bumpers which will actually allow monsters to get in and stay along on the ride, while they continue snacking on the actual hull of the ship.

The bumpers don't increase the size that much, and the ruins was just an example. You're right about the gaps though, I'll be doing more work on that sub sometime.

Hoss
Dr. Bright's Assistant

Postby Hoss » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:02 am

Bumpers are defiantly necessary on a sub that is basically a 1 hit KO.

I like the torrent, it just runs outta power way to fast.

Good enough designs for their function, could use polishing but i can see why you wouldnt want to XD

Billsofat
Class-D

Re: [0.5.3.1] Billsofat's Submarines

Postby Billsofat » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:29 am

I just updated both of my subs and can verify that they both work on the new update.

The main new feature on the torrent is a fix to the high buoyancy problem. The problem was caused by the ballast tank being too small, so I am now keeping part of it filled at all times to help balance it out. Having part of it filled along with a change of neutral ballast level seemed to be the best fix. I also noticed that is harder to run across the railgun shell slots with the game update, so they are not as tall. I also spaced the walls of the slots out a bit so the shells won't lean on top of them.

On the stinger, a bunch of things have been improved. First, I adjusted the neutral ballast level to where the sub should be very stable. This way the sub won't start sinking after turning on the power, driving might be easier, and autopilot should be better at maintaining position. Secondly, I've made some of the bumpers bigger and placed some of them farther away from the sub. During testing, I've found the sub to be noticeably more against crashes, especially head on ones. This should also block monsters from getting behind the bumpers. I haven't had problems with that in the past, but it shouldn't be a problem now, except maybe for husks if they try hard enough (but they usually don't). Finally, I've added a few spare screwdrivers and wrenches in case of need. I also removed a certain item that I've seen griefers using a lot (and honestly, wasn't even needed to begin with).

Well, that's it. All download links and pictures have been updated.

Billsofat
Class-D

Re: [0.5.4.1] Billsofat's Submarines NEW RELEASE

Postby Billsofat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 am

I've released my new submarine that I've been working on for a long time, the Subomination. It is a large and powerful submarine with 7 railguns. Download, picture, and info are in main post. I may also be updating my other submarines soon.

LandonGam3r
Technician

Re: [0.5.4.1] Billsofat's Submarines NEW RELEASE

Postby LandonGam3r » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Billsofat wrote:I've released my new submarine that I've been working on for a long time, the Subomination. It is a large and powerful submarine with 7 railguns. Download, picture, and info are in main post. I may also be updating my other submarines soon.

Added to sub list of BT Public 24/7 #1! Nice sub, especially like those maintenance shafts around the sub!
http://barotrauma-server.com/ - Barotrauma Server 24/7 - BT Public 24/7 #1 - Join and play!

Billsofat
Class-D

Re: [0.5.4.2] Billsofat's Submarines NEW RELEASE

Postby Billsofat » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:56 pm

I just released an important update to the Subomination that anyone who has the previous version should install.

The Subomination release came with a fire problem, which you may or may not have noticed. The junction boxes had a tendency to be overloaded, which caused dangerously frequent fires. The update has been released to address this problem. Due to a bug in the submarine editor, I am unable to completely fix the problem in the way I'd like to, but the update will make the fires much more rare.

You should be able to get through a multiplayer round without any issue, so the sub should now be server-safe. I reported the editor bug, and when it is patched, I will release a (hopefully) final fix for the fire problem.

Return to “Custom Submarines”