[0.6.1.4] Behold, the HMS Theresa May

EDIT: Please consider using S1mancoder's edited version, linked in his reply below. It has numerous quality-of-life improvements, and some essential ones too.

I threw together a sub over a few hours today. I discovered this game yesterday and holy moly me and my friends have had some fun. We'd had some issues with the default subs, notably blind spots the railguns couldn't hit. That in mind, I wanted to make a sub which had total external coverage, be very compact, and be very manageable.

Behold! The HMS Theresa May (named after our one true leader and absolutely not a totally incompetent baboon who is making a complete mess of Brexit).
It features a central ladder, allowing quick access to any level, with an automatic bilge pump at the bottom, leading then into the lower gunnery room. This bilge is doubly important, as your incompetent crew are guaranteed to open the perculiarly placed central ballast tanks. In an emergency, they can be used as a corridor to reach the front of the sub, which also has the somewhat peculiarly placed external airlock.

The diving room contains three suits, and the room above it holds a chest of diving masks. Carrying on up, we have access to the bridge/medbay (much like Brexit, this was poorly planned and I forgot the medical room, so now it's on the bridge). Moving back towards the centre of the sub, we enter the reactor room, which oddly is two stories with the reactor on the lower level. Testing crews complained (rightfully) that when the reactor flooded, there was no way to get the water out without cutting a hole, so now there's a one way hatch that drains into the ballast. Also in this room are two batteries, but this is a new addition following the death of the last crew, and they are untested. If they don't work, disconnect them. The room has five fuel rods, so, try to be efficient.

Continuing left, we have our status monitors, over the crew quarters (which contain a significant amount of maintenance gear). The metal chest contains a few more oxygen tanks.

And finally to the left, we have the rear gunnery room, with the double engines below it, and the cargo room below that. The gunnery room contains an electronics treasure trove, but not much else. The engine room has a diving suit placed in it.

Crews have complimented how bouyant the HMS Theresa May remains with minor leaking, and also how easy it is to seal off a leak. Remarkably, the reactor room is surprisingly waterproof, though it would benefit from windowed doors so people know when or when not to open them. A method of locking them would also be ideal... Complaints have arisen from how fast it can travel, as inexperienced pilots have struggled to use it. More annoyingly, the vast power used by the engines means power surges are frequent. This is worsened by poor wiring, and you can expect to have to run round fixing junction boxes frequently. Fire extinguishers are spread around for good reason. Also, the junction boxes are very over-crowded, and some of the wiring around the ship is counter intuitive as a result. Some crew have complained the metal boxes are irritating and they would prefer cabinets, not least since the boxes have a good habit of falling our in event of a crash. I've informed them they shouldn't be crashing anyway. A few crew have complained that they get their feet wet, but the ballast isn't a bloody hallway! Finally, one chap complained he'd like to be able to go straight from cargo to the lower gunnery room. Since he wasn't aware it was half way between those places, we put him in the brig.

Oh, one more thing. The bridge has a very handy escape hatch, should the captain need a quick exit. Just remember, you do share the medbay in there, and there's only one suit... And don't open it if you don't need to escape!

You can download the HMS Theresa May here = https://www.dropbox.com/s/si46w0888b0fg ... y.sub?dl=0
(and seriously, if you enjoy wiring, this needs a major redo, as this was my first sub and I had no idea how many junction boxes I would need!).
Last edited by Staticwolf on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.