[0.8.1.2][WIP] Echo Prototype.

Hey guys, I was encouraged by my friends to post my first sub. I won't claim it is anything special, I've seen a lot of amazing work on here in the first five minutes before posting. It's just a simple mission runner built for real players in multiplayer. The only thing special I did was I integrated search lights into the guns and all of the starting rail gun rounds have C4 in them to enhance your survivability. I also tried to keep the size of the sub as small as possible to fit into tighter spots on the sea floor. I hope this little sub can help you achieve the same levels of success it did for me and my friends. Best of luck!

Echo (2.0):
Download Link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 8/Echo.sub

**UPDATES**: Hey everyone, sorry it took me so long to update, was caught up in some real life stuff there for a little while. I appreciate all the feed back and incorporated some of it into my design. This update includes some general inventory organization as well as better inclusion of medical supplies. Some of the structural comments I'm considering putting into a secondary variant of the Echo. I definitely want to go back and redesign the Echo to have a better ballast system that allows the rest of the ship to drain into it, however I'm not sure how to do that while keeping the size of the ship relatively small. If you all have suggestions, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for them. Thank you all so much for trying out my sub!

If you guys have any further suggestions or constructive criticism, please post below. I'll be sure to check back regularly. If I get some feed back, I may make another variant. I really enjoyed making this and liked sticking to the mission running theme.
Last edited by lt25607 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: [0.8.1.2][WIP] Echo Prototype.

Hey there! Mission-oriented subs are always something I'm focused on, so I took a look.

- From an overall construction standpoint, you have the "zig-zag" system going on. This means your decks are more like interlocking puzzle pieces rather than purely horizontal. This can save space, but the result is that you have to climb up and down a ladder to get to different consoles, put pumps at the bottom of those sections to make sure they can be bilged, and so on. The pumps are probably the worst consequence of this because you could have a single pump in a ballast tank at the bottom rather than 5 pumps scattered about. All of those have a potential to fail, and few of them have the ability to carry the others' loads.

- Likewise, having ballast tanks behind doors as opposed to in the floors under hatches may save space, but it also prevents you from using the pumps within to bilge; open the door and the ballast tank will just flood the boat as it tries to maintain a certain level. Water flows down due to gravity, and like a house with slanted roofing and gutters, you want to be able to direct it away from key locations and then out of the boat. Anywhere this can't happen is like a flat roof that accumulates water in the middle until it starts to sag and eventually collapse. When you have a "hull casualty" and the boat is screaming down into the abyss, getting the water out ASAP is essential for survival. Any compartment that can't be blilged, at almost any time, from almost any pump, is a liability.

- The above shoehorns you into a certain design that's not very stylish, so moving on!

- Be sure to leave those extra pumps turned on and set to pump out from the start! Might as well go -100% as well to give your reactor better static load.

- On that note, increase the automatic shutdown temp of the reactor. The stock one can take up to 9500, and 1800 isn't enough to cover your fluctuations from running the engine hot and cold.

- Could also set the batteries and supercapacitors to charge from the start.

- All of the above can be seen as "stuff for the crew to do when they hop onboard," but you could also just cut the middleman. Your call.

- I notice you left a lot of items on the floor. These will get tossed around as you run into things (or things run into you), and the more important ones (fuel rods) are going to be a real hassle when they get lost. Even if you just use a footlocker, a large box is easier to account for than a bunch of scattered objects. Likewise, I noticed you have detonators down in the compartment with diving suits, but these are already mounted to the walls. You can go into Character mode in the editor, equip a wrench, and then pick them up for storage into containers. Saves folks time.

- The medical fabricator being hidden behind the engine wasn't expected. If it weren't for the syringe gun laying there I'm not sure I'd have noticed it. Perhaps raise it a bit, give it a label, or move it down a compartment to where the raw materials for it are stored.

The emergency lights were a good touch, and having the reactor on one of the top decks than the lowest ones was a good choice (do the same with the oxygen generator, too!) The airlock being nice and small was a good idea as well; your ship doesn't have the volume to stay buoyant if a large airlock gets flooded. Keep that in mind moving forward.

Hope this helps a bit!
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way."

United Colonies Navy Ship Pack - UPDATED: 28 MAY 18
The Sailor's Manual - UPDATED: 1 JUNE 18

Aye, she is a very temperamental sea mistress. I did not realize I could stow the detonators as such! I will definitely re-release the Echo with that in mind later this weekend. Thank you so much for the feedback. Granted a lot of the structural choices I made were built around two problems. I wished to address what I noticed with a lot of the stock subs. Gun coverage seems to be a massive issue... I wanted one gunner to be able to reasonably change between guns and cover more than 50% of the sub in just a few seconds. With only the front and back vulnerable. The sub isn't as vulnerable to sea monsters. Usually one of the largest obstacles my friends and I had faced. The final obstacle being general size. With maybe 3 friends active most nights, most of the stock subs were just too big to operate.

For the most part though, I totally agree with a lot of what you're saying and will definitely be making another pass through on this.

Hello lt25607,

While your sub certainly needs some polish here and there (as Warhawk described), it's definitely in working state. :) Although quite small, due to it's zig-zag design (as Warhawk described too), it leaves more room and gives a feeling of more space to walk through. This is why I want to give it a test in rotation at BT #1 and #2. One thing that might need to be added to 'the polishing' is a tad more medical supply. I was only able to find one small cabinet with syringes and bandages.

Echo will be put into testing rotation at BT Public #1 and #2!
http://barotrauma-server.com/ - Barotrauma Server 24/7 - BT Public 24/7 - Join and play!