Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016) - Indev v0.2.1 is out! (11/13/16)

I might do a video this week, but for now some bugs/suggestions.

As already mentioned, 173 can glitch around corners/through walls. One time, 173 somehow pushed me out of the facility and i fell through the map, it was a really small room and it should have killed me in this case.

The range to operate doors is too huge.

I'd also like to see 173 jumping in smaller intervals. Why? Well, even if you cannot see it moving, you might see its shadow.. and it looks weird if it jumps towards you.

The new lighting looks awesome btw!

GIMLI_2 wrote:I might do a video this week, but for now some bugs/suggestions.

As already mentioned, 173 can glitch around corners/through walls. One time, 173 somehow pushed me out of the facility and i fell through the map, it was a really small room and it should have killed me in this case.

I'd also like to see 173 jumping in smaller intervals. Why? Well, even if you cannot see it moving, you might see its shadow.. and it looks weird if it jumps towards you.

Thanks for the feedback! In regards to 173 glitching around corners, I am currently in talks with support for the pathfinding engine I'm using to see if I can get that fixed. Sorry to hear about 173 pushing you out of the facility, that should never happen! You weren't using the "godmode" command in console, correct?

When you say "the range to operate doors is too huge," what do you mean specifically? (forward interaction vs rear interaction, too much behind versus too much side to side, etc)

Finally, what do you mean jumping in smaller intervals? Is it just too fast now, or do you mean being able to see it coming around corners?

I love how this is the one SCP:CB revamp project that is not given up. Keep it up!

Also, am I doing something wrong by finding it hard to escape 173 without cheating? Buttons seem to work only when I directly look at them and when I need to look at another thing too... I escaped the intro room because 173 got stuck in a spot. Though maybe 2.1 has fixed that.

Speaking of which, could you put changelogs along with every indev build so that we can see current progress more clearly?

Marios wrote:I love how this is the one SCP:CB revamp project that is not given up. Keep it up!

Also, am I doing something wrong by finding it hard to escape 173 without cheating? Buttons seem to work only when I directly look at them and when I need to look at another thing too... I escaped the intro room because 173 got stuck in a spot. Though maybe 2.1 has fixed that.

Speaking of which, could you put changelogs along with every indev build so that we can see current progress more clearly?
Thanks, glad you like it! Try the new release - it adds the ability to click when buttons are behind you! And do you mean put the changelog in the main post? It's already in the post with the release itself, but yeah that's not a bad idea I'll add it to that post. I am actually going to do a pretty big revamp of the main forum post soon as I start to focus on marketing and garnering more interest.

zornor90 wrote:
GIMLI_2 wrote:
Spoiler
I might do a video this week, but for now some bugs/suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback! In regards to 173 glitching around corners, I am currently in talks with support for the pathfinding engine I'm using to see if I can get that fixed. Sorry to hear about 173 pushing you out of the facility, that should never happen! You weren't using the "godmode" command in console, correct?

When you say "the range to operate doors is too huge," what do you mean specifically? (forward interaction vs rear interaction, too much behind versus too much side to side, etc)

Finally, what do you mean jumping in smaller intervals? Is it just too fast now, or do you mean being able to see it coming around corners?
I wasn't using godmode, i'd really like to reproduce the bug but i don't know how, it was so random.

what I mean by "the range to operate doors is too huge" is, that you can open/close them even if you are way too far away (at least that's what it seems to me).

about the intervals: I noticed that when you "hide" behind a corner, you can see 173's shadow moving towards you until its right at the corner (because the shadow does not count for the eye contact thingy). this shadow did not move flawlessly above the ground, but jumped.
Now, that's what i thought about it (i might be wrong.. or i probably am xD). To represent movement, you let an object jump in very small steps and very small intervals, so that you actually cannot see it jumping anymore, but instead its moving "flawlessly". And the shadow looked like it had a higher interval, so it looked very "jerky"? if thats the right word :D

sorry for my bad english :P

GIMLI_2 wrote:[I wasn't using godmode, i'd really like to reproduce the bug but i don't know how, it was so random.

what I mean by "the range to operate doors is too huge" is, that you can open/close them even if you are way too far away (at least that's what it seems to me).

about the intervals: I noticed that when you "hide" behind a corner, you can see 173's shadow moving towards you until its right at the corner (because the shadow does not count for the eye contact thingy). this shadow did not move flawlessly above the ground, but jumped.
Now, that's what i thought about it (i might be wrong.. or i probably am xD). To represent movement, you let an object jump in very small steps and very small intervals, so that you actually cannot see it jumping anymore, but instead its moving "flawlessly". And the shadow looked like it had a higher interval, so it looked very "jerky"? if thats the right word :D

sorry for my bad english :P
Ah ok - are you referring to the range when you point your cursor directly at a button, or the range when the button is behind you?

And yeah...Unity isn't the best at recalculating the shadows for high speed objects in realtime. The new lighting solutions that I import in the future should help deal with this.

Marios wrote:So, on the latest build I started the game and picked up the starter items. Then I went to open the door, and stepped backwards since I knew 173 would be there. Next thing I know 173 is diagonally left of me and has already snapped my neck without me even blinking.
Oh no! Did you see it move, or did it just appear there? Also did it go through a wall?

I am working with the pathfinding asset's team so we should have these little bugs fixed soon!

So after some pretty hardcore work, I've rewrote several systems and I'm liking where this is going.

173 will now go around most doors! Fixing this was tricky. I shrunk the portals connecting doors, so that only the center pathfinding cells are walkable. This fixed it going through walls, but then it got stuck in doorways. I was able to implement a post-processor for the pathfinding engine, to move it back to the grid if it got off of it.
A couple of doors are still broken, but once I've updated the grids for all rooms to the new size I think we'll be in business!

I also rewrote the handler for visibility detection.

There is now a LookObjectController which checks all LookObjects to see if they are visible or not. 173 can then check its LookObject component to find out if its visible. This is a lot faster and easier to read than the previous way that I was doing it. In addition, it will ensure that multiple objects can be checked for visiblity at the same time!
I also rewrote the visibility detection function to take colliders of any size! Now 173's head and body are checked separately. This means that it looks a lot better to the player, as the head is smaller than the body. Before, the collider was either too big for the head or too small for the body...not cool!

This and other fixes coming this weekend!