Why is D-9341 so special?

This is something I wonder about in every game I play. Why is the main character so special? Considering every single person in the facility has died, why is D-9341 so special? Why did he survive when nobody else did? He doesn't have any special powers or abilities, so why did he not die with the rest of them?

If you look at the intro, the statue does not try very hard at all to kill you. In fact, it sort of looks like it lets you escape on purpose (only to kill you later, most likely), which doen't make much sense either.

Admittedly this is not a major point, but a lot of stories forget to take this into account, and speaking as a writer it really bothers me. There has to be a reason D-9341 is the protagonist as opposed to some other D-class.
W H O I S C R A I G
Whoiscraig @ Youtube
Craig Plays SCP: Containment Breach

Re: Why is D-9341 so special?

Vexification wrote:One word:
Luck
This. You were lucky and nothing else. Really, it would be difficult to come up with a reason. It could've been one of the D-Class you saw get killed but it wasn't. Only by sheer luck do you survive. Or in a sense, maybe bad luck. Instead of being killed swiftly, you must go through the hell of watching and trying to survive a containment breach with ungodly horrors and things that defy reality and its laws, relying only on your wits to keep alive.
Administrator at the Official SCP:CB Wiki

You are not special, nor are you unique, you are just some guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Luck, chance, an act of god or most likely a combination of the three are all you have, unfortunately they will only help you get so far against things that defy everything we believe in.

SCP-173 has been trapped in his cage for what may be decades if not longer, constantly being sent in "test subjects". Whether it is sentient or not is a matter of hot debate, however when it got out it saw an opportunity, something teased to it countless times before, a chance to escape, and kill, and maybe be free if that is what it desires. It knew you were there, it looked right into your eyes and soul but it chose to ignore you to escape, SCP-173 gave D-9341 something that it has never given anyone before, a second chance. It won't give you a third chance, nor will the other horrors that lurk the abandoned corridors of the breached site. With many of them willing and wanting to kill you in the most horrifying way imaginable, others will torture your days, weeks or even an eternity to satisfy its never ceasing desires.

The odds of a Class-D surviving a containment breach for longer than a minute are almost non-exsistant, let alone surviving the entire ordeal. Your not going to live, you will die in these halls one way or another, all you can hope is for a quick and painless death, unfortunately all the guns don't work.

Welcome to the Foundation, its just all another day.
SCP:CB Administrator. 99% of my statements are my own and do not represent the official developers viewpoint.

I think I remember a few theories on the old forum about how the player was an undiscovered anomalous event. One theory said that his anomalous property was his ability to "reload old saves" when he died (except on Keter difficulty), thus allowing him a degree of foresight that no one else would have (This would also be a pretty impressive reveal to the player to justify the effects of their own knowledge of the game's functions).
Mr Sensible Ideas

Serph Bravin wrote:I think I remember a few theories on the old forum about how the player was an undiscovered anomalous event. One theory said that his anomalous property was his ability to "reload old saves" when he died (except on Keter difficulty), thus allowing him a degree of foresight that no one else would have (This would also be a pretty impressive reveal to the player to justify the effects of their own knowledge of the game's functions).
So he predicts the future in his head, and by doing that it allows him to load old saves?
Makes sense to me, because if you could see the future, dying in the prediction would let you know what would happen if you did the same things you predicted.
Makes me think of the movie named Next actually.
What fun is there in making sense?
Now, if you will excuse me i have some chaos to wreak.
Resident forum robot monkey, and chaos incarnate.