For v1.0... (Launcher + Installer)

For v1.0 of SCPCB, I certainly expect some pretty amazing things. However my suggestion isn't for a new SCP, nor a new mechanic, or anything in the actual game for that matter. What I really think the game could benefit from, is an installer and an auto-updater. Now, juanpro has already made an auto-updater for the Box of Horrors mod, so surely the game itself should have one! (I honestly think all of the content in that mod needs to be in the game, its just that fantastic.) As for the installer, they aren't particularly hard to do, so it shouldn't take too much work. It would also make the game feel a lot more polished, and be useful to those who aren't sure how to run the game (and yes, I know they are probably just few silly individuals, but whatever).
If youre reading this Regalis, I hope you agree with me, and thank you so much for what you've brought us so far. I cant wait to see what the future holds.
Last edited by Skin_ on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: For v1.0... (Launcher + Installer)

Personally I prefer a simple compressed folder over an installer (at least for small games/programs), but I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd prefer an installer, so I guess I could make one for v1.0.

An auto-updater would be great as well. I'm not sure how hard it would be to make, but I'm sure it's doable. I think I'll look into it when we're closer to v1.0's release.

And as for Box of Horrors: I've seen the thread and some youtube videos of the SCPs, but haven't yet gotten around to trying it. Although, from what I've seen, most of the content looks like it could very well be added to the game.

Regalis wrote:Personally I prefer a simple compressed folder over an installer (at least for small games/programs), but I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd prefer an installer, so I guess I could make one for v1.0.

An auto-updater would be great as well. I'm not sure how hard it would be to make, but I'm sure it's doable. I think I'll look into it when we're closer to v1.0's release.

And as for Box of Horrors: I've seen the thread and some youtube videos of the SCPs, but haven't yet gotten around to trying it. Although, from what I've seen, most of the content looks like it could very well be added to the game.
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to the new update, whatever you choose to do with it.

Regalis wrote:Personally I prefer a simple compressed folder over an installer (at least for small games/programs), but I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd prefer an installer, so I guess I could make one for v1.0.
I guess you could have an .exe or .zip option to suit everyone, like half of the online software.
Regalis wrote:An auto-updater would be great as well. I'm not sure how hard it would be to make, but I'm sure it's doable. I think I'll look into it when we're closer to v1.0's release.
You mean like Steam has, when it automatically updates games?
Regalis wrote:And as for Box of Horrors: I've seen the thread and some youtube videos of the SCPs, but haven't yet gotten around to trying it. Although, from what I've seen, most of the content looks like it could very well be added to the game.
Might hafta think carefully about The Skeleton Key on that, since it's pretty much an instant Keycard Omni...
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote:
Might hafta think carefully about The Skeleton Key on that, since it's pretty much an instant Keycard Omni...
Actually, that's been fixed. It can actually be found in the entrance zone now, meaning its not so overpowered. OR it can be found near a body in 409's chamber. You have to avoid the crystals on the floor to avoid it.

Nightmare Tank wrote:
Regalis wrote:And as for Box of Horrors: I've seen the thread and some youtube videos of the SCPs, but haven't yet gotten around to trying it. Although, from what I've seen, most of the content looks like it could very well be added to the game.
They said that they placed SCP-005 (The Skeleton Key) in the wrong area: it should be in the Entrance Zone but they put it in the Light Containment Zone for a mistake, or something by these lines...
If you can find it in the Entrance Zone it is no more a such game-breaker SCP and it could be easily implemented; the only thing it needs is a document. A document got already made for it, but it never got added since there is no place where it could be put in SCP-005's containment chamber. And the MOD comes with already made loading screens for the new SCPs, so you would not even need to make them. :)
Adding the MOD to the official game could gave it more SCPs and rooms and make it even better than now; just fix some small imperfections (like fixing SCP-005's bad placing and improving the model for SCP-038 a bit) and it is ready to be added!
I'm all for that idea, it would be ultra-super-cool! :D
And since v1.0 should be the "stable" version of the game, I think that adding more stuff (like the rooms or the SCPs added by that MOD...) to it could give the game more variety and in a randomized game like SCP:C.B. having a lot of variety is really important, otherwise the game could get boring...

Plus I'm really excited to see SCP-860, it will be amazing!
So, thanks Regalis for making such a great game, you are my hero! :D
:173: :106: <Please, give us a hug!)
:096: <Do you think my face is ugly? RHAAAAAR!! )
:049: <I sense the Desease in you! Take a nap and you'll get better...)

Mr. Shy-Guy wrote:
Nightmare Tank wrote:
They said that they placed SCP-005 (The Skeleton Key) in the wrong area: it should be in the Entrance Zone but they put it in the Light Containment Zone for a mistake, or something by these lines...
If you can find it in the Entrance Zone it is no more a such game-breaker SCP and it could be easily implemented; the only thing it needs is a document. A document got already made for it, but it never got added since there is no place where it could be put in SCP-005's containment chamber. And the MOD comes with already made loading screens for the new SCPs, so you would not even need to make them. :)
Adding the MOD to the official game could gave it more SCPs and rooms and make it even better than now; just fix some small imperfections (like fixing SCP-005's bad placing and improving the model for SCP-038 a bit) and it is ready to be added!
I'm all for that idea, it would be ultra-super-cool! :D
And since v1.0 should be the "stable" version of the game, I think that adding more stuff (like the rooms or the SCPs added by that MOD...) to it could give the game more variety and in a randomized game like SCP:C.B. having a lot of variety is really important, otherwise the game could get boring...

Plus I'm really excited to see SCP-860, it will be amazing!
So, thanks Regalis for making such a great game, you are my hero! :D
Honestly, I think most of my loading screens suck, but that's up to Reg. I WOULD redo them, but I don't wanna spam Sam and Juan with loads of random little tweaks :P
I don't see anything wrong with 005's placement myself, though perhaps in order to nerf it even more, it could ALWAYS be places in 409's chamber.

Skin_ wrote:Honestly, I think most of my loading screens suck, but that's up to Reg. I WOULD redo them, but I don't wanna spam Sam and Juan with loads of random little tweaks :P
I don't see anything wrong with 005's placement myself, though perhaps in order to nerf it even more, it could ALWAYS be places in 409's chamber.
That's what I thought about mine. What were yours anyway?
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote:
Skin_ wrote:Honestly, I think most of my loading screens suck, but that's up to Reg. I WOULD redo them, but I don't wanna spam Sam and Juan with loads of random little tweaks :P
That's what I thought about mine. What were yours anyway?
I made all of them in the mod expect for 1123's. I did present a few improved versions, but they weren't used.

Regalis wrote:-snip-
I messaged you a installer when v0.7.4 was still able to be downloaded.
(speaking of which, would the current version be the last alpha version?)
This profile's been around for nearly eight years

RIP

(last edited 10/09/2020)