Re: Is this game dead?

yonzo_rikuo wrote:regalis should hire some people to help him with scp cb.
Don't know if you've noticed, but Containment Breach isn't the best thing that's happened to the world. It's run it's course.
yonzo_rikuo wrote:scp cb should get crowd funding to make the game updating frequently.
Ditto, the game has ran it's course.
yonzo_rikuo wrote:also, how and where do regalis get money to live his life? is he a parent bod that still lives in his parent's garage or does he have a job?
Assuming this forum costs money, (and probably quite expensive I must add), he most likely has a job that's well-paying, outside the internet.

You know.

The Outernet.

SyphenTV wrote:
yonzo_rikuo wrote:regalis should hire some people to help him with scp cb.
Don't know if you've noticed, but Containment Breach isn't the best thing that's happened to the world. It's run it's course.
yonzo_rikuo wrote:scp cb should get crowd funding to make the game updating frequently.
Ditto, the game has ran it's course.
yonzo_rikuo wrote:also, how and where do regalis get money to live his life? is he a parent bod that still lives in his parent's garage or does he have a job?
Assuming this forum costs money, (and probably quite expensive I must add), he most likely has a job that's well-paying, outside the internet.

You know.

The Outernet.
You know, calling a game "dead" or saying "the game has ran its course" over and over won't change anything.
Regalis has stopped updating the game for now, true. But he can still come back if he wants to, as long as the game has followers.

Student benefits and a part-time job at a small game studio. Due to school, work and Barotrauma I really don't have time to work on SCP-CB at the moment, and to be honest, I don't have much motivation to get back to Blitz3D and continue patching/building upon the awful, barely functional code that was never designed to scale up to this size. Some minor additions and fixes are definitely possible but I don't think the game can be expanded much further without a major rewrite of the code (which some people are already doing). In addition to my badly designed beginner-level code there's another big problem, DirectX 7. Developing a game using a 16-year-old Windows-only graphics API that's already causing major problems on some newer systems (e.g. Windows 8) is a bad idea.

But as I've said earlier, the fact that the B3D version of SCP-CB isn't in active development and most likely won't receive any major updates any time soon doesn't mean that this is the end for SCP-CB. The modding community is still (somewhat) active, other people are working on ports/remakes of the game, and there's a high chance that I start doing something SCP-related again after Barotrauma (sequel, reboot, spinoff...?).

Regalis wrote:
Student benefits and a part-time job at a small game studio. Due to school, work and Barotrauma I really don't have time to work on SCP-CB at the moment, and to be honest, I don't have much motivation to get back to Blitz3D and continue patching/building upon the awful, barely functional code that was never designed to scale up to this size. Some minor additions and fixes are definitely possible but I don't think the game can be expanded much further without a major rewrite of the code (which some people are already doing). In addition to my badly designed beginner-level code there's another big problem, DirectX 7. Developing a game using a 16-year-old Windows-only graphics API that's already causing major problems on some newer systems (e.g. Windows 8) is a bad idea.

But as I've said earlier, the fact that the B3D version of SCP-CB isn't in active development and most likely won't receive any major updates any time soon doesn't mean that this is the end for SCP-CB. The modding community is still (somewhat) active, other people are working on ports/remakes of the game, and there's a high chance that I start doing something SCP-related again after Barotrauma (sequel, reboot, spinoff...?).
What if someone will join your team and help with SCP:CB (like juanjpro)?

Vane Brain wrote:What if someone will join your team and help with SCP:CB (like juanjpro)?
Well, as I said I'm focusing on other projects for now, so that would practically mean someone else continuing from where I left off. I'd be more than happy to let people carry on the development (and due to the Creative Commons license they wouldn't even need my approval for that). And I think Juanjpro is basically doing that already with his Irrlicht port.

yonzo_rikuo wrote:well, it's time to port the o'l scp cb to a newer engine. i scrapped the udk one so don't ask me about it. but lord reg, please don't use unity
Why not? Can you name a single thing you could do in UDK but not in Unity? I've been using Unity at work for about a year now and don't really see why some people (usually those who haven't used it) consider it such a bad engine. Perhaps because it's so easy to get into that inexperienced developers can use it to churn out complete crap and give the engine a bad reputation...?

Regalis wrote:
yonzo_rikuo wrote:well, it's time to port the o'l scp cb to a newer engine. i scrapped the udk one so don't ask me about it. but lord reg, please don't use unity
Perhaps because it's so easy to get into that inexperienced developers can use it to churn out complete crap and give the engine a bad reputation...?
I'm not a coder, but from what i've seen, it's more or less exactly that. A lot of "developers" just pick a bunch of random assets from the store and build "games" which they're able to even get past greenlight sometimes!

I haven't heard of people complaining about Unity that often though other for than the reason i just mentioned. Even then, that wouldn't be the engine's fault.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Regalis wrote:
Why not? Can you name a single thing you could do in UDK but not in Unity? I've been using Unity at work for about a year now and don't really see why some people (usually those who haven't used it) consider it such a bad engine. Perhaps because it's so easy to get into that inexperienced developers can use it to churn out complete crap and give the engine a bad reputation...?
It's probably because a LOT of indie horror games are on the unity and it's an overused engine, but other than that, the engine has fairly good graphics and I hardly ever see it crash that much. tbh as well, I think SCP: CB would actually look pretty good on it in my opinion.
Welcome to the Pocket Dimension, may I take your order?