Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016) - General build v0.3.1a is out (1/8/17)

zornor90 wrote:
New worldgen iteration 1 is complete! This is a working map using the new custom gen algorithm with starting room and all must spawn rooms in connected and capped sectors. I've tested it against many cases and fixed as many edge cases as I can find, but I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys break it when it's released ;)
Nice job! I'm looking forward to trying a few map generations. Also, I like the arctic skybox you chose.

Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016) - General build v0.3.1a is out (1/8/17)

Mech288 wrote:
zornor90 wrote:
New worldgen iteration 1 is complete! This is a working map using the new custom gen algorithm with starting room and all must spawn rooms in connected and capped sectors. I've tested it against many cases and fixed as many edge cases as I can find, but I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys break it when it's released ;)
Nice job! I'm looking forward to trying a few map generations. Also, I like the arctic skybox you chose.
Thanks! The skybox is actually from the original game, I believe when you escape the facility you are able to see it.

And yes I'm definitely looking forward to people trying out map generation! I'm also looking forward to finally being able to add the new rooms I was sent some months ago, now that I have an infinitely scalable worldgen algo.

Mech288 wrote:Cool! I also agree having a bug reporting site would be great (probably better than this forum :P). Maybe something like Github's (https://guides.github.com/features/issues/) or other free alternative. It'll especially be helpful along with Unity Pro's Automatic Error/Performance Reporting. I've never used it, but it sounds pretty sweet.
I. honestly, find github annoying and confusing to use. I don't know how alot of things work on github, as it is never specified.
:duck:

Metroid construction: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/in ... le;u=40862

ReptileMonster wrote:
Mech288 wrote:Cool! I also agree having a bug reporting site would be great (probably better than this forum :P). Maybe something like Github's (https://guides.github.com/features/issues/) or other free alternative. It'll especially be helpful along with Unity Pro's Automatic Error/Performance Reporting. I've never used it, but it sounds pretty sweet.
I. honestly, find github annoying and confusing to use. I don't know how alot of things work on github, as it is never specified.
I've used it a few times, and I'm by no means promoting it, but it was the biggest free issue reporter that came to mind. (I'm biased because I'm a developer). Might be better down the road when this project goes public open source. Zornor might already have something simpler in mind to allow bug reporting from his site.

Mech288 wrote:
ReptileMonster wrote:
I've used it a few times, and I'm by no means promoting it, but it was the biggest free issue reporter that came to mind. (I'm biased because I'm a developer). Might be better down the road when this project goes public open source. Zornor might already have something simpler in mind to allow bug reporting from his site.
Yeah I'm definitely open to ideas! Once this project is open-source, of course, we'll have either github or bitbucket's issue tracker. For now though, I need something simple - even if I have to roll my own.

Also I do have unity's crash reporting enabled in the new build, so when I release the new general build in a week or so, I'll be able to track bugs in real-time. Having context, of course, will make things easier, which is why I am heavily considering a bug tracker.

Patreon Weekly Build: Alpha 0.3.8 out!

The new world gen is in! There are still one or two kinks to be worked out before the general build, but the game now uses an infinitely scalable map generation paradigm that can be tweaked and added to later with new rooms! I've also added bloom from unity's beta post-processing stack, which has also been updated to version 1.0. Linked project to unity performance reporting so that I can get reports of bugs when users play the game.

There's also a new tool for players to try out maps until they find one they like. I'll make a video tomorrow showing it off.

Going forward, I will be making tweaks and fixes to the game and the engine preparing for the general release. At this point, I will not be adding new features until the game is stable enough for a release!

Check it out!

Changelog

Code: Select all

v0.3.8

Reworked 173_opt
Removed a lot of furniture and placed in own objects to move towards reusable paradigm
Fixed walls on center walkway area so that walls don't block floor pathfinding and also have better colliders so 173 can't magically move while visible through glass
ContainmentLight changed, separated into case and bulb to allow for emissive generation
Added a bloom effect, still WIP.
Added setting for bloom to toggle on and off.
Added functionality to Mapped2dGrid to find entities within a given GridBounds (new class with VectorXZ start and end to define bounds)
Reworked FacilityGenerator / FacilityZone slightly to make it easy to subclass FacilityZone with zone-specific behavior
Added missing normal map for metalpanels2
Player sprint exhaust reduced from 2 seconds to 1 second
Built my own VectorXZ class to implement ToString, < and >, and some other features that Apex's VectorXZ lacked
Made door generation OO. Each room now places doors depending on its own neighbors / whether neighbors have already placed doors, and the FacilityZone PlaceDoor just checks those values and then places the door accordingly.
Added a MapNavigator to navigate the map tester scene, standard WASD with Q/E for increase/decrease height and right click + drag for rotation
Added check to make sure that room can connect in a direction before rotating to avoid situations like a 2 door hallway rotating to connect to a perpendicular direction
Added RotateToConnectAt override for room3PD
Fixed GetValidConnections function for room3PD
Added function to check if a room is already connected to a neighbor before forcing another connection
Rooms when copied now update the references to the old room in any neighbors of that old room to point to the new room
Fixed WeightConnections function - now orders by target and also takes into account edge case where trying to choose between which direction to go when x and z distance are both 1 from room
Avoid having sectors with just one room
FacilityZone now finds rooms closest in sector and then attempts to use those rooms to connect
Fixed a lot of edge cases in the weight directions function
Added VectorXZ.One and VectorXZ.DistanceVector to help with generation
Added starting room to must spawn rooms, as case for it not being one no longer exists (dynamic occlusion will hide ceiling pieces from protruding into room in the future)
Fixed bug with main grid spawning sectors starting at 0,0 instead of 1,1
Room grids are no longer created when rooms are placed; instead they are created by the grid loader during setup
FacilityGenerator now returns list of all rooms from all zones when queried
This project is now a unity project and performance reporting is enabled
Added a 'special' flag to the RoomPlacementData script
Imported new version of unity's post-processing stack - version 1.0! Lots of bugfixes and changes to make their post processing even more powerful
Tweaked bloom settings a bit more to be less intrusive
Added functionality to be able to spawn 173_opt within a certain bounds, to avoid extending into other rooms
RoomLists now use Unity.Random when shuffling to ensure that room placement is based on seed, instead of System.Random
Moved DirectionsArePerpendicular to Utilities
Connected MapViewer as a Tool in Main Menu
Engine now handles returning to game scene from MapViewer (destroying / regenerating messages, etc)
Some more work with lighting and bloom (esp in 173_opt)
Fixed bug where special rooms' exits were increased and thus 173_opt became something...else. That no longer happens, thanks to a wrapper canIncreaseExits property that checks if room is mustSpawn or special.
Sounds now stop on dimension switch
Found bug with GetAll() in Mapped2dgrid - creating a copy of references broke the dictionary for GetPosition. However, do not want to allow list to be modified from the outside, or it breaks the data structure. The solution is to return an IEnumerable, which is an immutable list!
Fixed bug with 173_opt getting spawned as a must spawn room. now, spawned as a special room obeying desired rules!
Removed a lot of debug statements.

Alright so it looks like we are nearing the next general build! The remaining tasks I'd like to complete before release are:

1) Fix new worldgen not working for specific seeds
2) Finalize Tesla Gate particles
3) Fix 173 sometimes going through walls + other pathfinding engine improvements
4) Put a new coat of paint on the TextViewer - MAYBE implement TextMeshPro if I have time
5) Implement an awesome soft-shadow shader that I'll be able to purchase thanks to patreon
6) Go through the facility and ensure lighting is up to quality standards (especially downstairs in elevator storage)

I'll try to update this post as I complete these tasks in order for you guys to have a sense of how close we are getting to the general release!