Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2017) - Latest Build: 0.4c (3/26/17)

TanmanG wrote:This looks great! I have a question on the future of this; are there any foresee able things that would take time away? And is multiplayer planned? I think it would be smart to start allowing room for it now rather than later when things get complicated.
Thanks! I am not planning on implementing multiplayer myself at this time. However, once I release the source code I don't see why it couldn't be modded in by someone. The games logic would just need to be modified to handle more than 1 player - a lot of the underlying logic would stay the same

LORD DEATH wrote:What's the point of airing out the room?

It has something to do with SCP-939 and the updated storage room area / event, but until the new release is out I will say no more!
BTW, the unity version looks plain-out incredible. I had no idea a unity version of a game made by one person could look so good. That being said, how much power would it take to run it on max at 60 fps?
Thanks so much! Yeah Unity has a bad rap because of all the idiots who push out asset store flips and terrible survival clones, but it is possible to make a great looking game with it - especially when fortunate enough to be building with great original models and textures like I am. One of the benefits of a community project like this!

As far as the power it would take, well that depends on a couple of factors. I'm not going for AAA level graphics as an individual developer, so it comes down to optimization. Currently, everything on the map is displayed at once which can kill the framerate especially with all those lights and shadows. I plan on using the SECTR VIS addon to fix this - it will enable me to enable / disable rooms from being rendered when the player can't see them. VIS should work perfect for this game because it works with grid cells and portals, which map perfectly to CB's map style with rooms separate by doors.

While that will help tremendously optimize the framerate, I do plan on adding a better shadow engine, and upgrading to Unity 5.6 which adds some enhancements for realtime lighting. I also want to upgrade meshes and texture as some point in the future. This will increase the game's graphical requirements, most likely.

So to finally answer your question - I'll have a better understanding once I've implemented all of these addons. Right now, I don't expect it to take more than like a 1060 or 1070 at best - but who knows what the future holds!

zornor90 wrote:[youtube]BA3V8tLJkRg[/youtube]

Room event complete - whaddya' guys think?! Now I can turn my attention to modelling the upgraded storage room muahahaha
Holy hell, that looks amazing, this project looks incredible so far! You should look into hosting a modeling competition for the MTF, D-Class, and SCP models! it will give the project some exposure, give people some modeling experience, and give you plenty of material to work with.

I also have another question, do you plan on using the "camera fog" from the Blitz 3D version, will you use something else to simulate dark lighting, or will you simply use the standard lighting to make dark rooms? There's something really unsettling about not being able to see what's in the other end of the room you're walking into.
===============================
History is written by the victor~Winston Churchill
===============================

Good question. I haven't really considered that yet are you referring to any rooms in particular?
TanmanG wrote:
Holy hell, that looks amazing, this project looks incredible so far! You should look into hosting a modeling competition for the MTF, D-Class, and SCP models! it will give the project some exposure, give people some modeling experience, and give you plenty of material to work with.
That's a great idea