Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016) - General build v0.4.0 is out (3/10/17)

zornor90 wrote:This is a good idea, I may go with this!
Not to mention that would add a bit of realism to the whole thing.
Just don't forget to add at least a sound effect when a player presses a button, to let him know the closing failed (or a "door starts to close and re-opens" animation if you're really in the mood).
Also, you will need a plan for special doors (the ones that have a delayed closing come to mind).
zornor90 wrote:Actually found something else earlier today. The new highlighting system was calling update() in every single interactable object in the facility even when not updating, using almost 0.04ms a frame on my fast machine (which means that a standard machine was seeing anywhere from .10 to .20 a frame)! That's a quarter of what the pathfinding engine uses at peak load!
I've changed it to add/ remove the highlighting system component when the user hovers over the object, which combined with my door fixes should make performance a lot better, especially as I add more items and rooms!
Lovely !

Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016) - General build v0.4.0 is out (3/10/17)

zornor90 wrote:1) Out of curiosity, which graphics setting were you playing on (Fastest, Fast, Good, etc) and which resolution? As there were no shadows. I need to tweak the quality settings so that there is one fast setting with shadows, and one fast setting without.
Oh lol, I assumed there were shadows. I was playing on fast mode. Tbh I don't have the best of computers. In fact it's more of a printer than a computer. I'm surprised I was able to tweak everything to run at such high quality, albeit at a slight frame drop.
zornor90 wrote:3) I'll overload the function for give_item so that it gives one by default if no amount is specified, it was good to see you try to figure that out because I wasn't sure if it would be intuitive
Yeah, it definitely took a little trial n' error. This will help out for sure. Also, I think an auto-complete function might be helpful, like what we have in Minecraft.
zornor90 wrote:5) The current version of the pathfinding engine just has 173 stand still when he can't reach the player, but I plan on adding some random behaviors so that he's moving around, trying to press buttons, etc. I'll also be fixing it so that you can't see 173 turn when doors are opening. Dynamic obstacles like doors add a whole 'nother level of programming difficulty
Ah, okay. Maybe you could have 173 on a simple state machine that switches between free-range movement when it's impossible for the player to see it. Obviously it'd be harder than I make it sound, but you've pretty much got that part out of the way since he stands still.
zornor90 wrote:You'll also be excited to know that I'm (finally) going to have your room in in the next build, which will focus on NPCs, events, and rooms
Oh nice! I'm getting into the developing spirit again, so maybe I can help by creating some more models or the like. It's up to you though. Your port n' all.
I'm a lead developer of the SCP Containment Breach Unity Remake. Check it out! You might enjoy it
Official Website

Zackonark wrote:
zornor90 wrote:1) Out of curiosity, which graphics setting were you playing on (Fastest, Fast, Good, etc) and which resolution? As there were no shadows. I need to tweak the quality settings so that there is one fast setting with shadows, and one fast setting without.
Oh lol, I assumed there were shadows. I was playing on fast mode. Tbh I don't have the best of computers. In fact it's more of a printer than a computer. I'm surprised I was able to tweak everything to run at such high quality, albeit at a slight frame drop.
No worries! The newest version has two lowest setting options, one with shadows and one without so that shadows can be enabled without impacting any other settings
zornor90 wrote:3) I'll overload the function for give_item so that it gives one by default if no amount is specified, it was good to see you try to figure that out because I wasn't sure if it would be intuitive
Yeah, it definitely took a little trial n' error. This will help out for sure. Also, I think an auto-complete function might be helpful, like what we have in Minecraft.
Auto complete just requires tab, although that I can see that not being intuitive. I think I'll add a 'help' option describing how to use the console, although I'm revamping it completely anyways so I may wait until then.
zornor90 wrote:5) The current version of the pathfinding engine just has 173 stand still when he can't reach the player, but I plan on adding some random behaviors so that he's moving around, trying to press buttons, etc. I'll also be fixing it so that you can't see 173 turn when doors are opening. Dynamic obstacles like doors add a whole 'nother level of programming difficulty
Ah, okay. Maybe you could have 173 on a simple state machine that switches between free-range movement when it's impossible for the player to see it. Obviously it'd be harder than I make it sound, but you've pretty much got that part out of the way since he stands still.
Yeah a state machine is definitely the way to go - I'll just have to extend my current version to have more behaviors.
zornor90 wrote:You'll also be excited to know that I'm (finally) going to have your room in in the next build, which will focus on NPCs, events, and rooms
Oh nice! I'm getting into the developing spirit again, so maybe I can help by creating some more models or the like. It's up to you though. Your port n' all.
Awesome I'll definitely let you know! I mean eventually this port will be moddable / open source, so everyone will be able to add whatever they like

Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2017) - Latest Build: 0.4a (3/12/17)

Hey! I really like this remake and I'd really like to play it, but when I start the game, my character moves forwards and to the left all the time, uncontrollably. It's as if I'm constantly holding W and A, even though I'm not. I've tried looking online for this sort of thing, but haven't found anything on it. I can still move back and to the left, but if I press S, I still move to the left while moving backward. And if I press D, then I keep moving forward while going to the right. If I hold S and D together, I move back and to the right like normal. Hopefully this can be fixed, thanks!

MrMilkman wrote:Hey! I really like this remake and I'd really like to play it, but when I start the game, my character moves forwards and to the left all the time, uncontrollably. It's as if I'm constantly holding W and A, even though I'm not. I've tried looking online for this sort of thing, but haven't found anything on it. I can still move back and to the left, but if I press S, I still move to the left while moving backward. And if I press D, then I keep moving forward while going to the right. If I hold S and D together, I move back and to the right like normal. Hopefully this can be fixed, thanks!
What are your system specifications?

zornor90 wrote:
MrMilkman wrote:Hey! I really like this remake and I'd really like to play it, but when I start the game, my character moves forwards and to the left all the time, uncontrollably. It's as if I'm constantly holding W and A, even though I'm not. I've tried looking online for this sort of thing, but haven't found anything on it. I can still move back and to the left, but if I press S, I still move to the left while moving backward. And if I press D, then I keep moving forward while going to the right. If I hold S and D together, I move back and to the right like normal. Hopefully this can be fixed, thanks!
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
16GB of RAM
64-bit Windows 10

MrMilkman wrote:
zornor90 wrote:
16GB of RAM
64-bit Windows 10
Are you playing on a non-standard keyboard?

zornor90 wrote:
MrMilkman wrote:
zornor90 wrote:
16GB of RAM
64-bit Windows 10
I have a usual QWERTY Windows backlit keyboard. Only thing I can tell of that's different from most is that there's a key in place of the right Windows key that toggles the keyboards lights. Oh, and there's also a volume slider above the numpad.

MrMilkman wrote:
zornor90 wrote:
MrMilkman wrote:
16GB of RAM
64-bit Windows 10
I have a usual QWERTY Windows backlit keyboard. Only thing I can tell of that's different from most is that there's a key in place of the right Windows key that toggles the keyboards lights. Oh, and there's also a volume slider above the numpad.
Hmmm. That's frustrating. In the pre-game launcher, under the input tab, can you check to make sure that your keys for horizontal and vertical are standard WASD?

zornor90 wrote:
MrMilkman wrote:
zornor90 wrote:
Hmmm. That's frustrating. In the pre-game launcher, under the input tab, can you check to make sure that your keys for horizontal and vertical are standard WASD?
I've taken a look, and the keys are as follows:

Horizontal (+) = Primary - right, Secondary - d
Horizontal (-) = Primary - left, Secondary - a
Vertical (+) = Primary - up, Secondary - w
Vertical (+) = Primary - down, Secondary - s

Horizontal = Primary - Joystick 0 axis 0, Secondary - none
Vertical = Primary - Joystick 0 axis 1, Secondary - none