Re: Containment Breach Unity Edition (2016) - Indev build 1 is out! (10.13.16)

(AS OF 10/15/16)
I played the Indev Build for a little bit and here is some bugs:
On resolutions that use aspect ratio 4:3 (1024x768 and below) the lighting gets really, really, really dark, it is kinda cool though seeing the facility in darkness.
173 moving from behind corners even if you are looking at it (I believe this is getting fixed as we speak)
In 173's CC, the farthest right containment wall has no collision and players can fall through them.
And on one account, the map just disappeared on me, leaving only the skybox. If it means anything it happened in a 4 way hallway.

That's all. It is really good and I love to see how this would turn out in the upcoming months.

Fadedgogeta wrote:(AS OF 10/15/16)
On resolutions that use aspect ratio 4:3 (1024x768 and below) the lighting gets really, really, really dark, it is kinda cool though seeing the facility in darkness.
173 moving from behind corners even if you are looking at it (I believe this is getting fixed as we speak)
In 173's CC, the farthest right containment wall has no collision and players can fall through them.
And on one account, the map just disappeared on me, leaving only the skybox. If it means anything it happened in a 4 way hallway.

That's all. It is really good and I love to see how this would turn out in the upcoming months.
Thanks for the feedback! The collision issues are easy to fix. 173's movement has been optimized once, but I will be further optimizing it with Unity's OnCameraRender events.

I'm curious about the map just disappearing. Did you happen to save the output log file?
I might need to create a log exporter or something similar, hmm....

zornor90 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! The collision issues are easy to fix. 173's movement has been optimized once, but I will be further optimizing it with Unity's OnCameraRender events.

I'm curious about the map just disappearing. Did you happen to save the output log file?
Also, don't know if you're aware, but SCP-173 can clip into walls and get stuck permanently.

Nehpys wrote:
zornor90 wrote:

Also, don't know if you're aware, but SCP-173 can clip into walls and get stuck permanently.
Do you happen to know which room that this occurred in?

That Same Anon wrote:Will NPCs have higher quality models due to a more optimized engine, or will you just port over the CB models as part of the "minimal changes" design?

The woman scientist looks like a mannequin
Haha. I want to remain in scope so I will start by just porting the models. It shouldn't be too hard to swap in a new model, down the line, however! I definitely plan on overhauling the graphics.

Continuing to make progress!
Revamped the event system so that multiple results can share the same condition. For example, 173 scare should check OnNPCVisible if the NPC is 173, and then if it is, check things like distance from the player and play different sounds. Now, all of this can be rolled up into one event.

Added CheckParamValue condition. This uses C# reflection so that you can get variables inside the event, as well as inside the event's objects. This allows me to, for instance, check if AIActor.name == 173. Any primitive field can be checked, which should allow a lot of flexibility when designing events.
Added RandomChance condition, which just checks a random number against the set chance.
Added DistanceToParam condition, which can get the distance between the player and any param variables that are monobehaviors. Monobehaviors are attached to physical objects, so they should always have some type of distance.
Also disabled 173 on player death so that it doesn't continue to attack you endlessly.

Changed AudioCache to auto-load audio and music from designer-specified folders inside the project.

Once I've got 173's scare event working correctly, with different noises depending on distances, I plan on updating the door model to be correctly textured. Then I will do another pass over the rooms and complete adding lighting and doors. Some rooms were not imported correctly so i will go rebuild them in blender and ensure that they are.

Nehpys wrote:
zornor90 wrote: Do you happen to know which room that this occurred in?
In SCP-173's chamber. I saw it behind the first door, so I closed it, blinked, and 173 appeared inside the wall where the button was.
Yeah. This is due to the fact that 173's steering isn't optimized yet, so it doesn't steer around doors as fast as it should, given it's high speed and acceleration. That should be a relatively quick fix, perhaps it will make it into the next build.

New build coming soon! I'm adding some things such as a better godmode and noclip as well as a slew of bufixes. Also started making my own models, rebuilt the door with correctly mapped textures. 173 has had some optimizations as well.

I think that the next major task I will perform, in addition to just updating rooms, is importing SCP: 1499. This will allow me to test several things:

1) IEquippable system for equipping and unequipping the mask.
2) Dimension system for loading and unloading dimensions. This will involve:
  • Disabling and enabling pathfinding grids
    Disabling and enabling pickups
    Disabling and enabling AI units
    Changing lighting on dimension switch
3) Lots of multiple pathfinding units

I am also going to be adding two more assets to the project:
Leantween for animations
Master Audio: AAA sounds for audio. The most important feature of this package is that it can do sound occlusion, to block sounds from going through walls. it has a lot of other cool features as well, such as dampening other sounds when an explosion happens for instance! This should make the game a lot more immersive.

And the console package that I use is upgrading to a new version soon! It looks like it will come with a lot of performance and usability upgrades.

A lot of good stuff in the pipeline. Please continue to let me know how the game feels and plays, the more user testing I can gather now the better I can design the remake. Thanks so much!