A Video to Take Into Consideration

So I don't usually make topics, I just yell at people for making topics that I disagree with. But I felt this one was important enough for general discussion.

I saw this video about SCP: CB and how it's a good game overall, but isn't a horror game. Frankly? I think it does a really good job at explaining what's scary and what's not.
Spoiler
[youtube]iy7OTFZ63jc[/youtube]
So I feel like this is less of a suggestion video and more what's fundamentally broken with the game. I see people bash the game all the time for the bugs, mechanics, and what SCPs they and their grandmothers want, but they never seem to care about the actual environment and balance put into the game.

Basically the points made if you didn't watch it:
PROS
  • The game throws you in scared and having little to no knowledge what you're facing with or what's going on
  • You can fend off threats (e.g. Tesla Gates) without feeling too powerful.
  • Phenomenal sound design, invokes a "get the hell out of here" feeling (thanks firefox and soundcloud people)
CONS
  • The game throws you in scared and having little to no knowledge what your actual objectives are: The only obvious one is to get keycards. Also some SCPs or purposes of rooms are vague.
  • The game is really jam-crammed together, there are so many threats it's hard to go 7 rooms without having a near-death encounter, which repeatedly, ruins the atmosphere. So does dying over and over. We have enough SCPs.
  • Updates are being constantly pushed before actually fixing bugs. Not just game crashing bugs, but in-game bugs too, with the excuse of "We'll just fix that in the next update". Ideally, a stable version of the game would be better.
  • Gameplay strongly contrasts the sound, killing the ambience. The feeling invoked in "The Dread" is not the same feeling invoked while dashing around the LCZ with a stamina increasing gas mask.
A final point that he brings up is that a lot of the people who are "super scurred" are young kids, paranoid people, and youtubers who are just reacting to get as much money as possible, which I think is really dangerous for a game. The only place you really see other people play video games is youtube, and unfortunately since being a youtuber is usually profit based, the game is hammed up.
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what to do about this, but I'd like to have some discussion at least. The game should focus less, in my opinion, on making new rooms and more, also in my opinion, on building with what it's got. SCP never really ever had a stable version, and 0.9.3 pretty much hit the mark of a good horror game.

In my opinion.
π™±πš•πš’πšπš£πŸΉπ™³ π™΄πš›πš›πš˜πš›(!): π™Ώπš›πšŽπšœπšœπš’πš—πš πšπš‘πšŽ πš‹πšžπšπšπš˜πš— πš›πšŠπš™πš’πšπš•πš’ πš’πšœπš—'𝚝 πšπš˜πš’πš—πš 𝚝𝚘 πš–πšŠπš”πšŽ πšπš‘πšŽ πšŽπš•πšŽπšŸπšŠπšπš˜πš› πš–πš˜πšŸπšŽ πšπšŠπšœπšπšŽπš›.

Re: A Video to Take Into Consideration

Brunou8 wrote:This only reinforces my opinion of making the game more linear.
I think the game can have special rooms and random generation, but the goals need to be much more clear and doable, which may involve making it more linear.
π™±πš•πš’πšπš£πŸΉπ™³ π™΄πš›πš›πš˜πš›(!): π™Ώπš›πšŽπšœπšœπš’πš—πš πšπš‘πšŽ πš‹πšžπšπšπš˜πš— πš›πšŠπš™πš’πšπš•πš’ πš’πšœπš—'𝚝 πšπš˜πš’πš—πš 𝚝𝚘 πš–πšŠπš”πšŽ πšπš‘πšŽ πšŽπš•πšŽπšŸπšŠπšπš˜πš› πš–πš˜πšŸπšŽ πšπšŠπšœπšπšŽπš›.

Re: A Video to Take Into Consideration

Hubbawubba64 wrote:
Brunou8 wrote:This only reinforces my opinion of making the game more linear.
I think the game can have special rooms and random generation, but the goals need to be much more clear and doable, which may involve making it more linear.
Agreed in a way of a scientist telling you to help him escape and gives you information of keycard levels and required equipment to get through the facility.
Found?