My theory about the graphical "flicker" bug.

So I have been encountering the "flicker" bug a lot. This one is related mainly to performance and textures as the first sign of this will be a poor framerate accompanied by one or two flickering textures. I was playing when this started happening to me. Instead of quitting and restarting like I usually do, I continued playing and saved. Shutting the game down and reloading it seems to help, but not every time. The more I played, the worse the bug got. My framerate went from a solid 31 (I had it limited to 30) down to 10 FPS. I noticed more flickering until I could see through the walls entirely. Textures started going haywire. I could see lights through rooms and the walls started to disappear. However, collision remained the same. I have a feeling that this bug is related to the way in which rooms that are closed off by doors will "hide themselves" to save on performance (what the player can't see isn't rendered). This bug causes massive lag spikes and destroys framerate. Eventually, I couldn't even see doors or switches.
===============================
History is written by the victor~Winston Churchill

Re: My theory about the graphical "flicker" bug.

LORD DEATH wrote:So I have been encountering the "flicker" bug a lot. This one is related mainly to performance and textures as the first sign of this will be a poor framerate accompanied by one or two flickering textures. I was playing when this started happening to me. Instead of quitting and restarting like I usually do, I continued playing and saved. Shutting the game down and reloading it seems to help, but not every time. The more I played, the worse the bug got. My framerate went from a solid 31 (I had it limited to 30) down to 10 FPS. I noticed more flickering until I could see through the walls entirely. Textures started going haywire. I could see lights through rooms and the walls started to disappear. However, collision remained the same. I have a feeling that this bug is related to the way in which rooms that are closed off by doors will "hide themselves" to save on performance (what the player can't see isn't rendered). This bug causes massive lag spikes and destroys framerate. Eventually, I couldn't even see doors or switches.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6498
Try this

LORD DEATH wrote:So why wouldn't it be used as a long term solution? (I'm just curious. I have no experience with coding.)
The game clearly just needs some better memory management. It's harder to pull off, but it would do more to improve framerate and stability.

Feel free to use it for yourself though, I don't expect proper optimization to come around anytime soon because of how poorly designed the code currently is.

LORD DEATH wrote:Ah I see. Alright. I remember hearing multiple people describe the code of SCP:CB as a form of "spaghetti ball". I bet some optimization of code would do loads for performance.
Optimization won't be enough, the entire memory management logic needs to be thought out properly. Currently the game basically just loads everything into memory and maybe releases some of it at some point if the stars are right and the flying spaghetti monster is in a good mood. That patching tool might do as a workaround, but it doesn't solve any of the underlying issues.

:gasp: A message from the Creator himself! In all seriousness, it sounds like that will take a lot of work. It's a good thing that my computer isn't that powerful because this will give me the opportunity to test the full amount of optimization. Good luck sorting that mess out.
History is written by the victor~Winston Churchill

LORD DEATH wrote::gasp: A message from the Creator himself! In all seriousness, it sounds like that will take a lot of work. It's a good thing that my computer isn't that powerful because this will give me the opportunity to test the full amount of optimization. Good luck sorting that mess out.
They probably won't though; everything is just outdated and primitive. Trying to revamp the whole project would take a long time.