Additions to the Intro Sequence

Hello everyone, I'm Skin_. Whilst I only just joined here, I have been poking around these forums for a while now and I know a lot about the game... so no need to treat me like a bit of a noob :P
Anyway, the reason I decided to sign up is so I can share with you my ideas for a new intro sequence that I have been cooking up in my head. Right now the game feels kinda more like an experimental game or more of an experience. This is fine, since it is of course still in development, but I think something like this will help. Sadly, I cannot code, however I would love to help out with art or any new sounds if needed. That is, if you guys like my ideas enough. Here it goes...

As you should know, SCP-990 only makes a brief appearance in the game, very occasionally in the loading screen. The voice acting done by theVolgun is very very good, and I honestly think it is just wasted. Instead, I think it should be used as part of the intro.

When the game is loaded, a scene similar to that of 'an artist's depiction of SCP-990' could fade onto the screen, with some dream-like ambient sound. The voice acting could then commence. Some interesting blurry, swirling screen effects would fit well here, and it means that the scene does not have to be very detailed. Perhaps just a vague model of the bench with SCP-990 on it with an animation, whilst the rest could be a picture on a wall. Since the player will not be able to do anything, it's like a cutscene.

Once he is finished, the screen could fade to the intro sequence we have now. Hopefully with Guards similar to that of Night's new MTF model, among other improvements and details :D

The walk to the containment cell should be made longer, so we can get a better understanding on our situation, and also how to play the game. I am pretty much repeating previously suggested things right here, but summarising them up. There could be more scientists walking about, the sound of busy people etc. They could also interact with the player and the guard, saying things like "Off to see 173, are we?", as somebody said. When listening to the guard talking, related messages could appear the screen explaining how to use the controls and such.

One last thing - after SCP 173 gets out... almost everyone seems to vanish suddenly, as if by magic. To get around this without having a ton of NPCs walking around and getting killed which would take time to do properly, I have an idea. When the lights start to flicker and 173 kills the Class-Ds, there could be the sounds of the Intercom yelling to get the MTFs in as soon as possible. They could then rush in whilst the player attempts to flee (this bit should be a cutscene), only to stumble and fall, or perhaps have something fall on him, I'm not sure, so that he is knocked out. A moment later, you can wake up in the darkened facility where the game properly starts, and your character can slowly get up grunting saying "Ow... my head...? What the hell happened? How long have I been here?"

Aaaaaaand that's all for now! I hope you like what you read. Please tell me what you think and perhaps help to contribute. As I said before, if anyone is actually up for coding this into the game somehow, I would be thrilled. Thanks! :173: :106: :096:

Re: Additions to the Intro Sequence

BeastLord wrote:Perhaps you could have instead of 990 it would be a camera recording of the fight between 682 and 173. Just a thought. :173:

Hate to bust your bubbles, but that would mean you'd need a fully animated 682 model (with several damage textures) along with some extra work I don't want to think about.
Besides, not all loading-screens take the same amount of time. So maybe it'd suddenly cut short?
My Youtube Account: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSerimah

One minor addition I would consider is a couple of Guards audibly talking about how The Sculpture is immobilized in a direct line of sight, while on the way to the containment chamber. It would not only explain how D-9341 would know, but also give new players a clue.
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.

Nightmare Tank wrote:One minor addition I would consider is a couple of Guards audibly talking about how The Sculpture is immobilized in a direct line of sight, while on the way to the containment chamber. It would not only explain how D-9341 would know, but also give new players a clue.
But the guy on the intercom already references it before the breach begins. And if it were placed in a much more obvious location, 173's document would definitely let the player know.

I think a subtler approach like that is much better than simply blurting it out to the player.

Gorebazzle wrote:
Nightmare Tank wrote:One minor addition I would consider is a couple of Guards audibly talking about how The Sculpture is immobilized in a direct line of sight, while on the way to the containment chamber. It would not only explain how D-9341 would know, but also give new players a clue.
But the guy on the intercom already references it before the breach begins. And if it were placed in a much more obvious location, 173's document would definitely let the player know.

I think a subtler approach like that is much better than simply blurting it out to the player.
I was thinking of things that introduce you to how to actually play. A reminder to read notes to find stuff out too. You could sometimes hear the guards/scientists talking, though only giving a slight subtle hint. A message telling you how to do whatever could appear. The thing about blinking is pretty obvious though, yeah.

EDIT - Just an idea for a slight change, a lot of new players seem to not bother reading the papers, or even going into their inventory. I think it would be good if the paper pops up as soon as you pick it up.