Re: The New Suggestions Thread

legendaryweredragon wrote: Can any of you guys think of any other way to use 096? I really think that the game needs to have a least one or two events involving him, so if my current suggestion doesn't work out, can you guys think of other ways to use him?
There is no need to have him hog the spotlight anymore, maybe he can appear in a few scripted events here and there, but that's all. The Foundation is not all about one SCP, its about a shit load of them, so we don't have to make one SCP be more important than the others. Currently 096 is fine the way it is, you know why? Because it is CANON that way. Canonically, he is not a monster of mass destruction that loves to kill, no no no. He is a thing that does nothing until you look at it. THAT IS HOW HE IS CANONICALLY. By making him be more "important" you are breaking a big part of the SCP and of the SCP Foundation itself. The danger of 096 is not that you can enrage him easily, its that if you do, you are screwed. That is what 096 is.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

legendaryweredragon wrote:What I am saying is that if it is an event that only happens in a very specific situation that is easy to avoid, and you will probably be able to avoid it even if you don't know it is coming, it will be fine. The point of this event is to scare the player, not to make them frustrated with a random threat. This can work if it is done in a way that makes it extremely easy to avoid, not as something you can escape only by luck. It must not ever hurt players who are good at the game and have done nothing wrong. Although I did say it happens randomly, the circumstances under which it happens make it something primarily skill based. The reason why I say it happens randomly is to give players who are bad at the game a better chance to avoid it, so they will not get frustrated. To put it simply, if you are good at the game, you will never see this event if you play the game exactly the way you always do, and if you are bad at the game, you might see this event once or twice before you get better.

Alright then I am kind of tired of discussing this possibility. I will bring it up again when I have thought about it more.
All fairness aside, the mechanic seems forced IMO. There's only two reactions to encountering this for the first time: 1)"Oh shit!" Followed by death. Or 2)"Are you fucking kidding me?" Followed by the player rage-quitting. Just because you don't intend to frustrate the player, doesn't mean that they won't get frustrated.
legendaryweredragon wrote:
Spoiler
SCP 472 The Bloodstone
Ingame mechanics: You can find it in its containment room. If you stay in its presence for too long or if you pick it up and take it with you, it will cause you to hallucinate blood on the walls, a loud heartbeat, and dead bodies, some of which move around and and others may appear suddenly when you blink, behaving similar to hostile SCPs but won't actually hurt you. It will also change the appearance of hostile SCPs to look similar to the halucinated bodies, making it difficult to tell what is real and what isn't. The advantage to doing this is that Hostile SCPs are also affected by it and may become confused when in your presence while you are carrying it. It will also drain your health and sanity, but at a rate that is so slow that it isn't really noticeable, but still enough to kill you if you don't pay attention. (I think somebody may have already suggested this)
Edit: Confirmed. This is already on the list of suggestions at the beginning of this thread although their version is not as detailed and suggests how it be used differently.

SCP 479 Hallway 4, D-Class Dorms, Site 14
Ingame mechanics: This is just an atmospheric effect. Some of the hallways will have blood appearing on the floor in front of you with a sound similar to dripping or splashing water.

SCP 178 "3-D" Specs
Ingame mechanics: If you put these on you will see strange creatures. They attack you if you touch them, although they are easy to avoid because they usually move away from you if you get too close, although there is a small possibility that one will decide to follow you. If one does follow you, you can stop them by closing a door behind you.

SCP 017 Shadow Person
Ingame mechanic: It has escaped from it's containment chamber and will swallow you if your shadow touches it. It can be difficult to avoid because it moves around erratically. You can use it as a method of getting rid of other hostile SCP, although some of them have a possibility of being able to escape a few minutes after swallowing them. The plague doctor is gone for good if it is caught, the sculpture has a low probability of escape after it is swallowed although it is the most difficult for 017 to catch, making it very risky, and the old man is the most likely to escape, usually within a few minutes. 017 will become more aggressive after it has swallowed a hostile SCP.

SCP 1404 Cereal Bowl
Ingame mechanic: mostly the same as its article. it will exist in the game just to creep you out. I think it would be best if you found it in an unexpected place.

SCP 650 Startling Statue
Ingame mechanic: same as its article. Unexpectedly appearing behind you when you turn around and causing you to jump backwards in fear.

SCP 743 A Chocolate Fountain
Ingame mechanics: Heals the player and boosts stamina if they drink from it but this will increase the probability that it will attempt to hunt them down.

SCP 718 Eyeball
Ingame mechanics: Works very similarly to its article. A large group of them is found in a heavily secured room, attached to the walls, floor and ceiling, plus a few that are mobile. If look at them for too long, you will be drawn towards them and will attack them, causing them to explode and replicate. You can use them for trapping 173, although this is very risky. When you cause 718 to explode it is possible that new ones with form on your body, which can be helpful to you because it will improve your vision and make you incapable of blinking. The cost of this is that you are much more vulnerable to sanity damage and if you reach the end of the game with 718 on your body it will cause a bad ending.

SCP 1090 Cordless Headphones
Ingame mechanics: make you hear unsettling music and sounds. if you wear it for too long the music will continue even after it is removing it.

SCP 627 Perpetual Circle
Ingame mechanics: Found in is containment room, surrounded by a lot of equipment, but does not do anything other than look unsettling.

SCP-1129
Ingame Mechanincs: I am not entirely sure if this one would work but it is a good idea. Read the article. If you don't want to read article, basically it is a bizzare looking creature that causes extreme fear in anybody who sees it and may cause permanent paralysis if you see it too many times. In the game, if you encounter it, you would have to avoid looking at it to get around it. If it is added it might have to work somewhat differently than the article says.

SCP-572 Katana of Apparent Invincibility.
Ingame Mechanics: Causes you to die stupidly if you obtain it. If you pick it up, you will receive a message saying, "Katana of Apparent Invincibility Obtained: Victory is Certain, Nothing Can Stop You Now, You Win!" The game's music will change to an epic song, such as "Indestructible" by Disturbed, which fits because this is how SCP-572 makes its holder feel. SCP-173 will spawn at the entrance to the room and your character will automatically attempt to attack it with SCP-572, only to get killed by it. In your dying moments the music changes back to normal and you receive the message, "I lied"
472 - I'm not a fan of sanity mechanics, the mechanic usually is just the dev saying "Be scared because we tell you to be."
479 - Wouldn't this be non-cannon?
178 - Sounds cool, but there's no reason to actually use it, useless.
017 - We can't implement it with the appropriate mechanics, people will complain if you cheap out on this.
1404 - Useless.
718 - I honestly don't think we need more sight mechanics.
1090 - Useless.
627 - Useless.
1129 - Even more sight related SCPs
572 - Okay gag, still effectively useless.

I have nothing against adding objects that don't add anything to the game, purely for aesthetic purposes. I just don't think that should be the focus of development.
Last edited by MonocleBios on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
M-x dingus-mode

SCP 178 "3-D" Specs
Ingame mechanics: If you put these on you will see strange creatures. They attack you if you touch them, although they are easy to avoid because they usually move away from you if you get too close, although there is a small possibility that one will decide to follow you. If one does follow you, you can stop them by closing a door behind you.

SCP-178 is in the Box of Horrors mod. If you want them added in game, I recommend playing this mod and seeing if its game mechanics are what you had in mind. I don't mean at all to sound harsh, but stuff from mods has been added into the game before. Namely SCP-500 and SCP-008. :)

nightscout01 wrote:
SCP 178 "3-D" Specs

SCP-178 is in the Box of Horrors mod. If you want them added in game, I recommend playing this mod and seeing if its game mechanics are what you had in mind. I don't mean at all to sound harsh, but stuff from mods has been added into the game before. Namely SCP-500 and SCP-008. :)
Thank you for telling me that, I will check it out some time. Are there any other mods with new SCPs that I should look at?
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!

legendaryweredragon wrote: Thank you for telling me that, I will check it out some time. Are there any other mods with new SCPs that I should look at?
juanjpro and InnocentSam are the only people I know of recently that actively mod new SCPs into the engine, BOH is essentially a compilation of their work. Most of the other mods are purely resource related, with a few exceptions.

I can't be bothered/donthaveenoughtime/actuallyimjustashittyprogrammer to write anything people would care about.
M-x dingus-mode

New Suggested SCPs

SCP-002 The "Living" Room
Ingame mechanics: You can find it inside of a large room, which has more than one exit, so you can pass through it to reach other rooms. While you are inside of the room containing SCP-002 it is possible to enter SCP-002 and look around inside of it. While you are inside the room containing 002 your sanity meter will drain, but at a very slow rate, and so you actually can stay in it for several minutes safely.

SCP-005 Skeleton Key
Ingame mechanics: Same as the article. You can find this item on a dead researcher along with its document, but only late in the game. You could use this to get past a lock that requires something other than a level 5 keycard. I think that it makes sense that the Foundation would have other kinds of security than just keycards. They probably would have doors protected by passwords and so SCP-005 would be used to bypass them.
Let's throw everything in and see what happens!

legendaryweredragon wrote:SCP-005 Skeleton Key
Ingame mechanics: Same as the article. You can find this item on a dead researcher along with its document, but only late in the game. You could use this to get past a lock that requires something other than a level 5 keycard. I think that it makes sense that the Foundation would have other kinds of security than just keycards. They probably would have doors protected by passwords and so SCP-005 would be used to bypass them.
005 is in BOH, Sam made it over a year ago.
M-x dingus-mode

legendaryweredragon wrote: SCP-002 The "Living" Room
Ingame mechanics: You can find it inside of a large room, which has more than one exit, so you can pass through it to reach other rooms. While you are inside of the room containing SCP-002 it is possible to enter SCP-002 and look around inside of it. While you are inside the room containing 002 your sanity meter will drain, but at a very slow rate, and so you actually can stay in it for several minutes safely.
There is no such thing as a sanity bar in the game.

Also, if you were to enter 002 you will be converted into human furniture.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

Yo, they're suggestions, stop bashing people down just because they're thinking up stuff, especially you spartan since you've been doing it with quite a few people. Try being more "hm probably not. it could work if..." instead of "NO THIS CANT BE IN GAME DO YOU EVEN KNOW FOUNDATION"

Back on topic.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Shouldn't there be bathrooms and offices in the heavy and light containment zones as well? I mean, it's like, if you need to go to the bathroom or look up stuff, you have to go all the way to the office zone, then return.
Irontaco wrote:Yo, they're suggestions, stop bashing people down just because they're thinking up stuff, especially you spartan since you've been doing it with quite a few people. Try being more "hm probably not. it could work if..." instead of "NO THIS CANT BE IN GAME DO YOU EVEN KNOW FOUNDATION"
He didn't say anything like that at all. Unless you don't mean Spartan. And, if something's wrong, they HAVE to point it out.
http://gorillagong.com/

I've become a gorilla.