[SUGGESTION] Better graphical atmosphere

Hi everyone,

Since the update 0.9 there are a lot of new sound effects and its much darker in the game. The atmosphere is really improving with every update, but I thought it could also have some graphical improvement. The facility looks quite boring as it is now, it could have some more details that suit to the plot. I would recommend:

-more dead bodies randomly placed around the facility
-broken vents, pipes etc.
-some doors are broken out of the frames and lie on the floor
-overturned shelfs, container, tables etc.
-(pot)holes in some walls with bricks or concrete lying on the floor
-more bloodstains on the walls, especially in the hcz

Having the facility destructed a bit would make the scenery much more interesting I think. What do you think? :173: :106: :096:

UPDATE:

After reading all the replies, I'll add some points from other users to the list, read them below:

-flickering lights (suggested by Omniary)
-more human-like ambiance (footsteps and voices behind walls / in the distance) (suggested by Nightmare Tank)
-objects (e.g. a big pipe) randomly falling from the ceiling (suggested by Omniary)
-bulletholes in the walls with maybe one little bloodstain (suggested by SCP-500)
-lamps randomly "explode", making the room a bit darker (suggested by Mr. Shy-Guy)
-more roaming SCPs that are less humanoid in appearence (e.g. SCP-772) (suggested by Mr. Shy-Guy)
-some doors are corroded by SCP-106 (suggested by SCP-500)
-burning nuclear barrels in the heavy containment zone (suggested by me)

That's all for now, I'll update the list regulary if more stuff is suggested.
Last edited by Akatos on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Do you think NASA invented thunderstorms to cover up the sound of space battles?

Re: [SUGGESTION] Better graphical atmosphere

I think theres more ways to make a game scary without dead bodies and blood, it's a bit overdone in horror games, so i'm a little meh on hat suggestion.
But this i definitely agree on, it would show the player the amount of damage the SCP's can do, add some doors corroded by 106.

I agree partially with the holes, add some bullet holes around the facility to convey that there was a struggle there at one point.

Overall these are some good ideas.
ERIC IS LOVE, ERIC IS LIFE.

Skin_ wrote:I actually expected this to be another silly shaders suggestion thread, but luckily it turns out it isn't. This is a great idea, and I totally agree with you. It's something I've been thinking of for a long time.
(I'm on a Kindle so please forgive me)
Yeah, me to.

Blood can be used if not overdone.

Like what the guy a post above me said, put some bullet holes and add some blood drops and it'll look pretty good. Some steam and broken pipes can make for a nice little puzzle.

Well, not an original puzzle but a puzzle.
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time

True, the atmosphere of the game has a great setup, but it isn't really used to its fullest potential. I think the first few rooms of the game should be specifically edited to appear as if the facility is actually going through living hell, for example, cracks should appear on walls when an explosion is heard, or blood could be seen seeping from an unaccessible door. The lights in these rooms could also occasionally flicker like the containment chamber in juanjpro's 009 mod. It'd be nice if the facility generally appeared less linear, like having caved in entrances in a 4-way room, effectively making it a 3-way room. Hell, there could be some interesting scares worked into this as well. Perhaps a large pipe could fall from a ceiling in the Heavy Containment Zone,.

But yes, I advocate pretty much everything in the OP. Having more variation is always nice, especially with a randomly generated game.
It slep time bunner.

Akatos wrote:The facility looks quite boring as it is now, it could have some more details that suit to the plot. I would recommend:

-more dead bodies randomly placed around the facility
-(pot)holes in some walls with bricks or concrete lying on the floor
-more bloodstains on the walls, especially in the hcz
Except for the dead bodies, I really agree with you. The actual state of the facility makes me think that the only escaped SCPs are SCP-173 and SCP-106 and that's kinda true; SCP-096 is "escaped" too but he does not destroy or attack anything unless he gets angry when someone looks at his face...
SCP-372 is not aggressive until it can't hide, so it can't do any damage to the facility since the place is actually nearly empty...
Omniary wrote:True, the atmosphere of the game has a great setup, but it isn't really used to its fullest potential. I think the first few rooms of the game should be specifically edited to appear as if the facility is actually going through living hell, for example, cracks should appear on walls when an explosion is heard, or blood could be seen seeping from an unaccessible door. The lights in these rooms could also occasionally flicker like the containment chamber in juanjpro's 009 mod. It'd be nice if the facility generally appeared less linear, like having caved in entrances in a 4-way room, effectively making it a 3-way room. Hell, there could be some interesting scares worked into this as well. Perhaps a large pipe could fall from a ceiling in the Heavy Containment Zone,.
THIS! ^
I think that the lights could flicker randomly 1-2 times with an interval of half second between the flickers, I really agree with that.
Maybe they could flicker a lot more rapidly when SCP-682 roars. And we could have some of them to "explode" with a sound of a breaking glass and making the room a bit darker, I think that could be a good jumpscare.

I really agree with you that the facility should give a bigger sense of a "horrible march of dangerous objects/creatures", I think that not all the roaming SCPs should be humanoid in appareance (all of these guys are more or less similar to a human being: :173: :106: :096: ), maybe having an object-SCP wandering around the facility could give the player the idea that anything in this place can be dangerous, not only what LOOKS dangerous.
For example a lot of people on YouTube ring SCP-513 thinking it is a simple cowbell (usually a big part of YouTubers that plays SCP:C.B. does not read the "Description" section of the documents, that explains the most of the abilities of the described SCP) and they get "jumpscared" when they see the ghost. Plus SCP-772 is probably one of the future SCPs that could get added, and it is a big wasp that flyies aroung in little groups. Yeah, it does not look safe end it's like not scary at all (except for its HUGE size compared to a common wasp...) but at least it is way different in appareance that the actual SCPs.
:173: :106: <Please, give us a hug!)
:096: <Do you think my face is ugly? RHAAAAAR!! )
:049: <I sense the Desease in you! Take a nap and you'll get better...)

Except for the dead bodies, I really agree with you. The actual state of the facility makes me think that the only escaped SCPs are SCP-173 and SCP-106 and that's kinda true; SCP-096 is "escaped" too but he does not destroy or attack anything unless he gets angry when someone looks at his face...
SCP-372 is not aggressive until it can't hide, so it can't do any damage to the facility since the place is actually nearly empty...
Remember that SCP-682 also escaped. You actually dont see him in game, but what if you could see the destruction? Imagine a big empty corridor where you see two big holes in the walls and the bricks and maybe one dead body :) lying on the floor!
Do you think NASA invented thunderstorms to cover up the sound of space battles?

The facility seems a bit too empty to me. For a containment centre that's choc-a-block full of staff of all ranks (Guards, Scientists, Class-Ds, Janitors etc) it's quite an isolating sensation. Now I know the atmosphere is good when there's lack of people (or bodies) around, but maybe some more human-like ambience, such as rapid footsteps behind a wall, or some sort of brief shout (or calling voice) to accompany some already existing ambience like doors closing in the distance. It just right now seems like nearly all of the personnel spontaneously vanish, once the [expletive] hits the fan...
The Nightmares...will last...FOREVEEEEERRRRR!
In the event that Nightmare Tank tries to take charge, Dr. Glitch is to warn it, until it ceases its behaviour.