Re: Phanalax's Models

Awesome. As for the low poly model the current triangle count is at 8442, which is fairly high (based on what tiangle limits you guys wanted), but unfortunately there isn't much I can do about that. The most I could optimized the model without ruining the joints for animation would be somewhere around 5000-6000 triangles. The reason for this is that the legs and arms are about 340 triangles each, (which is very close to the bare minimum I could get it to) and there are 16 of them. that means 5440 triangles out of the 8442 are in the legs. the body and tail are the second most costly part (polycount wise) at about 2000, and the head is about 1000. the triangles are densest around the head also. Although from a technical standpoint 8000 tris is actually quite low for almost all hardware, especially if there is only going to be one instance of the model in the game at a time. Even todays handheld devices could handle that. Ultimately your call though. Tell me what you want.

Alright mirocaine I'm having hell with the uvw mapping of the model (honestly my least favorite part of modeling), so I think I'll take up your offer to help. Can I send you the model in obj format or something, and you can unwrap it? If you want I can send you the highpoly for normal mapping too, but you need to tell me how many triangles your computer can handle so I can optimize it. currently the high poly is 17.2 million quads, which handles fine on zbrush, barely runs on 3ds max, and god knows what blender would do with that many.

Phanalax wrote:Alright mirocaine I'm having hell with the uvw mapping of the model (honestly my least favorite part of modeling), so I think I'll take up your offer to help. Can I send you the model in obj format or something, and you can unwrap it? If you want I can send you the highpoly for normal mapping too, but you need to tell me how many triangles your computer can handle so I can optimize it. currently the high poly is 17.2 million quads, which handles fine on zbrush, barely runs on 3ds max, and god knows what blender would do with that many.

17.2 million? :shock: Jesus, just send me the .obj of the low poly in that case! LOL. I'm guessing you sculpted the low poly, right? Well hopefully it should make a good game mesh. I'll unwrapbit and let u bake those normals then. Unless you can optimize it to be less than 6 million I think I can handle it.

EDIT:

Alrighty, I PM'd you back the unwrapped version of the low poly you sent me. Just have to cut off those limbs and get those UV islands all fleshed out. :D
Spoiler
The islands in relation to the arms/feet aren't right next to each other.. but I'm sure you can figure it out! Let me know how baking the normal map, ambient occlusion, etc goes. I can do the normal map baking aswell.. but I'd need a severely optimized version of your high poly mesh or I think Blender (and my pc) will have a heart attack trying to import it.

Kreygasm. That's great, gimme some of that normal Map baking program, cause blenders can often be pesky.

just keep the color tones a bit darker imho, and add some of that ambient occlusion and maybe a soft light overlay for some fake specular, cause blitz3d has godawful specular lighting.

your using 1024x1024 as the texture size right?

So I'm gonna texture it so that It wont require any normal or specular maps, seeing as blitz doesn't do them any good. Normally I would let the normal and specular do a lot of the shading work as it makes it look really nice but I think I can make it look good with just a diffuse.

Normal tool is Xnormal.
Last edited by Phanalax on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phanalax wrote:So I'm gonna texture it so that It wont require any normal or specular maps, seeing as blitz doesn't do them any good. Normally I would let the normal and specular do a lot of the shading work as it makes it look really nice but I think I can make it look good with just a diffuse.
Well the normal map in Blitz3d is ok, better than nothing, but doesn't make anything necessarily "pop" in terms of being in-game. On my most recent SCP- :REDACTED: I featured in dev topic I went ahead and added some subtle bright specular highlights to the texture to help make it seem more real in-game. Doesn't hurt anyhow, tons of models have done it with dated engines in the past, only recently have they stopped abit cause now engines have tons of fancy specular and shading, etc.

I'm still painting him up, could take a bit (I'm not the fastest at texturing.) I hear that the animations in the game could use a tune up... If someone wants to pass me some of the files for the MTF and 939 models and their rigging, I could try my hand at animating them a little. No promises or anything I just want to give it a try if thats ok, I quite enjoy animating.