[Suggestion] Elevators that actually move

The elevators ingame are a bit buggy, and the room meshes use more disk space because the current implementation of elevators requires two "elevator rooms" to exist.

This can be improved by using something like this:

Code: Select all

EntityParent Collider,Elevator_object
This implementation has several advantages:
- The elevators won't be limited to vertical movement if this implementation is used. You can move them around as much as you like, and in any direction, and they will still work properly.
- The disk space needed for elevators may be slightly reduced.
- Items and NPCs can be transported in these elevators if you use EntityParent with those.
- You won't be able to fall out of the elevator by walking along the walls.
- It's probably easier to implement.

I can only think of one disadvantage:
- The position, rotation and state of the elevators will need to be saved, which uses up a few more bytes per save.

Re: [Suggestion] Elevators that actually move

Hm, I like the idea of it, but I just thought of one problem this could probably cause: the maintenance tunnels are a few meters below 049's containment chamber which prevends them from overlapping. If the elvator that moves from the entrance of the maintenance tunnel to the tunnel itself and crosses 049's tunnels, it would cause collision problems. The chance for this is very low though. Otherwise it's a good idea!
Do you think NASA invented thunderstorms to cover up the sound of space battles?

MonocleBios wrote:Wouldn't RAM usage be a better reason for doing this as opposed to storage space?
It probably would. However, I think storage space is worth mentioning since that way the game needs to read less bytes from the hard drive, so the loading time should be slightly faster. It wouldn't be very noticeable, though.
Akatos wrote:Hm, I like the idea of it, but I just thought of one problem this could probably cause: the maintenance tunnels are a few meters below 049's containment chamber which prevends them from overlapping. If the elvator that moves from the entrance of the maintenance tunnel to the tunnel itself and crosses 049's tunnels, it would cause collision problems. The chance for this is very low though. Otherwise it's a good idea!
That shouldn't be a problem, teleporting the elevator is possible as well.

Imagine the guard in the elevator actually falling(Screaming?) and crashing at the bottom with a second mesh that spawns below the first one, of a destroyed elevator. What I mean is, There'd be a destroyed mesh right below the working mesh, and when the working mesh went up, The guard would despawn and the destroyed mesh would teleport up while the door was closed while the sound is playing. Then you open the door, and the elevator's scrunched up and there's still a pool of blood. Perhaps make it partially squashed vertically so you can glimpse a bit of an elevator shaft?
I Survived SCP-106's Pocket Dimension And All I Got Was This Stupid ID Card