Re: SCP 682 Model

Sh*t. I swear, if he's gonna rampage at me in the game, I'm gonna get [EXPLETIVE]
SCP: Eric Breach nanomod maker (if anyone wants to revamp it be my guest, as it is now defunct)
Fan of Doctor Who, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Sleepy Hollow, Person of Interest, Happy (2017) and Silicon Valley. And also MCU films.

Something about the chest and overall posture is really bugging me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. He just seems awkwardly upright yet at the same time too hunched over? His neck seems too upright and stiff, and something seems awfully weird with the shoulders and clavicles. I feel like the clavicles are too straight across for how its body is oriented, as well as maybe being a bit too high up? At the angle we're looking at it, the clavicles should definitely at least for a gentle U (Most birds have a V shaped furcula, but even some dinos like Velociraptor, Allosaurus, etc had softer V-shaped furcula). Maybe if we saw it from the underside, where we would be seeing them straight-on they'd look straight like that but not from this angle. :\ Humans have it straight on from a front view, but an angle like that should definitely show a bend like this begins to show. I would imagine a creature that seems to have anatomy more like a theropod dinosaur (and by that token, birds) would have similar shape.

...hopefully all of that made sense. :U

Regardless, I like it. I think I prefer the quadrupedal look of something more like in Six-Eight-Two, but that's mostly because that was closer to what I initially imagined when I first read 682's page (albeit maybe not so monitor lizard-like but with more digitigrade mammalian legs), not a bipedal creature. I do think that so far 682 is looking vaguely reptilian and not drastically so. Once (if?) it gets fur I think it will help even more.

Maybe 682 is primarily bipedal, but can go into a quadrupedal stance and even walk on all fours? It looks like it could be able to. I think the arms might just be long enough.

OnyxDarkKnight wrote:How did you get the model to be so smooth? I made a model for SCP-2300, but it looks a little bit rough. (It's my first model though)
Spoiler
Not sure what modeling program you are using, but there are a few things you want to do to make a smooth looking model.
1. Enable polygon smoothing and assign appropriate smoothing groups to all of your model's polygons. This will stop your model from looking like it is composed of little squares when rendered. Many programs can automatically assign smoothing groups for you, though if you are ever working with weird geometry it may be in your best interest to become comfortable assigning them yourself.
2. create a normal map. Generally for very complicated models one will create a version of the model with more polygons, and use that model to create a normal map. The map can then be applied to a lower poly version, and will allow your rendering software to utilize the map when calculating lighting, creating the illusion of a greater level of detail in many instances. This leads into point 3, which is
3. Add more polygons. Depending on the complexity of the model you are making and the polygon requirements you are making it for, add more polygons via subdivisions, boolean operations, etc.. so that you have more vertices to work. Often in the case of soft modeling it is easy to scale down polygon levels after a model has been completed, whereas with hard surface modeling you may run the risk of losing some geometric detail and will need to be a bit more careful. Working with a high poly model first also gives the advantage of allowing you to create a nice normal map and apply it to your low poly model to be used in-game.
4. Note that I'm a scrub modeler so take my advice with a grain of salt ;)

EDIT: While I'm here I'd like to add that Night's model looks absolutely beautiful and I can't wait for it to chase me right out of the facility :)

risingstar64 wrote: Not sure what modeling program you are using, but there are a few things you want to do to make a smooth looking model.
1. Enable polygon smoothing and assign appropriate smoothing groups to all of your model's polygons. This will stop your model from looking like it is composed of little squares when rendered. Many programs can automatically assign smoothing groups for you, though if you are ever working with weird geometry it may be in your best interest to become comfortable assigning them yourself.
2. create a normal map. Generally for very complicated models one will create a version of the model with more polygons, and use that model to create a normal map. The map can then be applied to a lower poly version, and will allow your rendering software to utilize the map when calculating lighting, creating the illusion of a greater level of detail in many instances. This leads into point 3, which is
3. Add more polygons. Depending on the complexity of the model you are making and the polygon requirements you are making it for, add more polygons via subdivisions, boolean operations, etc.. so that you have more vertices to work. Often in the case of soft modeling it is easy to scale down polygon levels after a model has been completed, whereas with hard surface modeling you may run the risk of losing some geometric detail and will need to be a bit more careful. Working with a high poly model first also gives the advantage of allowing you to create a nice normal map and apply it to your low poly model to be used in-game.
4. Note that I'm a scrub modeler so take my advice with a grain of salt ;)

EDIT: While I'm here I'd like to add that Night's model looks absolutely beautiful and I can't wait for it to chase me right out of the facility :)
Ok, thank you for the advice. I used Blender to create the model. I will see what I can do.

A bit more progress.
SciZoroark wrote:-snip-
Yeah, I definitely agree on the clavicle shape; I really didn't bother making it make sense as I originally wanted, just kinda went with making it look... cool, I guess. As for the posture,I'm not sure about it, might just be the the view point.
I'll definitely add fur, so don't worry about that, a little hart to imagine it with fur right now, but I think it'll look pretty neat. :D
About the quadrupedal stance; it's possible to animate it like that, but probably wouldn't work with a hand like the one I made currently.
OnyxDarkKnight wrote:-snip-
First off, what are these weird light spots on the model? Looks almost like the model is gigantic and you're trying to light it up with small lamps.
As for making it look smooth, you need to apply the shading to "smooth", it should be under "Tools" in Shading, there are two options, flat and smooth, apply it in Object Mode btw.
Some quick links for myself (and you all too).
SCP-096 model
MTF model
Forum Smileys
deviantART
Pixel Joint

Enjoy

Night wrote: First off, what are these weird light spots on the model? Looks almost like the model is gigantic and you're trying to light it up with small lamps.
As for making it look smooth, you need to apply the shading to "smooth", it should be under "Tools" in Shading, there are two options, flat and smooth, apply it in Object Mode btw.
Those spots are part of the texture. It's a really crappy texture I made in Photoshop to see how it would fit the model. Also, thank you :3 The model now looks smooth. The rigging is a bit weird, because it is my first time doing it, but overall looks better.

Video of his animations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJlkuBR-Y4