A better model for SCP-178-1

I always found the current model to be very unsatisfying, seeing how I didn't see enough of the arthropod-like qualities that it was supposed to convey. So I decided to make a higher-quality model.
I made with Sculptris, and rigged it to the original model's skeleton in Fragmotion.
Spoiler
You can download my model here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mjeuf ... -178-1.zip
It may not have the best texturing and rigging, so if anyone wants to improve the model's rigging or texturing, feel free to. :wink:
I bought a gay pony named North America! He walked on two legs and played the harmonica!
Check out my SCP - Comix mod: http://scpcbgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3557

Re: A better model of SCP-178-1

Hey Kenneth long time no see,

It's good for a first attempt, but is highly unoptimized for use in-game (averaging over 20,000 faces/tri's).

Usually there's a kind of complex process (a "pipeline") game model makers follow to produce a character/entity:

1. Concept (In this case we have the SCP-178 article to give us information about 178-1)

2. High Poly Sculpt (this is what Sculptris/Zbrush/Other high poly modelling programs produce, you want to use sometimes upto millions of faces to produce the beautiful model in all its juicy detail, think of it as sculpting an extremely detailed character out of digital clay).

3. Since the high poly sculpt is unoptimized to be in-game, we build a low poly mesh over it, this basically keeps about 70-90% the same silhouette as the high poly sculpt, but can actually be put in-game and animated without causing peoples PC's to explode.

4. Texturing, baking a high poly map onto the low poly mesh, rigging + animating, yadda yadda..

the way AAA video game companies like Treyarch/Activision pump out crappy CoD sequels every 6 months is because they have like 50 people in each department.. 50 people make the high poly models, then give it to the 50 guys who make the lowpoly, then the next 50 guys who do the textures, then the next 50 guys who rig/animate, etc. Basically a ton of people make stuff really, REALLY fast. Ofc if you try to a whole model by yourself, it's always a pain in the neck (almost 60+ hours just to produce a high quality model and rig/animate it yourself).
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Astray488
>Previously known as Mirocaine.

Re: A better model of SCP-178-1

Astray488 wrote:Hey Kenneth long time no see,

It's good for a first attempt, but is highly unoptimized for use in-game (averaging over 20,000 faces/tri's).

Usually there's a kind of complex process (a "pipeline") game model makers follow to produce a character/entity:

1. Concept (In this case we have the SCP-178 article to give us information about 178-1)

2. High Poly Sculpt (this is what Sculptris/Zbrush/Other high poly modelling programs produce, you want to use sometimes upto millions of faces to produce the beautiful model in all its juicy detail, think of it as sculpting an extremely detailed character out of digital clay).

3. Since the high poly sculpt is unoptimized to be in-game, we build a low poly mesh over it, this basically keeps about 70-90% the same silhouette as the high poly sculpt, but can actually be put in-game and animated without causing peoples PC's to explode.

4. Texturing, baking a high poly map onto the low poly mesh, rigging + animating, yadda yadda..

the way AAA video game companies like Treyarch/Activision pump out crappy CoD sequels every 6 months is because they have like 50 people in each department.. 50 people make the high poly models, then give it to the 50 guys who make the lowpoly, then the next 50 guys who do the textures, then the next 50 guys who rig/animate, etc. Basically a ton of people make stuff really, REALLY fast. Ofc if you try to a whole model by yourself, it's always a pain in the neck (almost 60+ hours just to produce a high quality model and rig/animate it yourself).
I might have to correct you on the "too many polys" thing.
Have you seen SCP-096's polycount? That polycount is especially large, even for a B3D model. Yet he doesn't cause a huge-scale lag spike (at least...not anymore.). My model is pretty much the same case.
Last edited by Kenneth crooker on Sat May 30, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I bought a gay pony named North America! He walked on two legs and played the harmonica!
Check out my SCP - Comix mod: http://scpcbgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3557

Re: A better model for SCP-178-1

juanjpro wrote:Doesn't Sculptris have a built-in feature that lowers the poly count?
Yeah. But I couldn't decrease it any further without making the model look rugged and degraded.
Honestly, the model doesn't need a reduced poly count, because I noticed that a few of the other SCPs (such as 939, 096 and 173) have exceptionally high polycounts themselves, yet they don't clutter up the game's framerate.

Kenneth crooker wrote:
SyphenTV wrote:The torso and the pelvis both look like they are punched wads of playdoh.
That's because the torso is segmented.
Anyway, I tested the model out in-game, and there were no lag spikes whatsoever. It's very safe to use.

That depends on what computer you are using, I'm guessing.

If you have a Windows XP that's been used for 9 years, it would probably have some effect.

SyphenTV wrote:
Kenneth crooker wrote:
SyphenTV wrote:The torso and the pelvis both look like they are punched wads of playdoh.
That's because the torso is segmented.
Anyway, I tested the model out in-game, and there were no lag spikes whatsoever. It's very safe to use.

If you have a Windows XP that's been used for 9 years, it would probably have some effect.
I use windows 8. Which is odd, because everyone thinks that Windows 8 is shit. XD

Kenneth crooker wrote: Anyway, I tested the model out in-game, and there were no lag spikes whatsoever. It's very safe to use.

If you have a Windows XP that's been used for 9 years, it would probably have some effect.[/quote]

I use windows 8. Which is odd, because everyone thinks that Windows 8 is shit. XD[/quote]

I use a Windows 8.1 and the game runs with 70 FPS. It's because 8 and such are good. Stuff like XP may make the game run worse (or better. Depends.)