SCPCB 1.3.8 WINE unable to create 3d scene

Hi, I am trying to run SCP CB v1.3.8 in my netbook (asus 1015p) using WINE (My OS is Debian 9) and when I try to start it it says 'Unable to create 3d scene' I have manually edited the options.ini and set whatever value to 0 (means low right). Is this game really graphics intensive? is there any way to make this runnable and playable in an old pc or laptp? I know that there are remakes like unity (unable to download since it is stored un Mega which does not allow direct dowbload or via download manager) and unreal engine (looks very heavy graphics intensive).

Re: SCPCB 1.3.8 WINE unable to create 3d scene

sora wrote:Hi, I am trying to run SCP CB v1.3.8 in my netbook (asus 1015p) using WINE (My OS is Debian 9) and when I try to start it it says 'Unable to create 3d scene' I have manually edited the options.ini and set whatever value to 0 (means low right). Is this game really graphics intensive? is there any way to make this runnable and playable in an old pc or laptp? I know that there are remakes like unity (unable to download since it is stored un Mega which does not allow direct dowbload or via download manager) and unreal engine (looks very heavy graphics intensive).
Well, the game is actually intsensive when it comes to the PC ram (it shouldn't be like it, but the game simply overloads). But that is not the reason why it doesn't work. The problem is that virtual machines/emulators like WINE are not able to handle every exe file (that's usually with virtual machines or emulators, like VMLite (virtual machine for Windows XP) or an emulator like PCSX2 (PS2 emulator)).
You have to note that the engine the game is running on (Blitz3D) is still using DirectX7 which is heavily outdated by now and even only barely supported on newer computers. Even some Windows PC (mostly Windows 8 or higher) have issues running this game properly (I have Windows 10 and it works, so it would not be because of the OS).
I think that the way WINE emulates the programs is simply not compatible with Blitz3D or at least with SCP: Containment Breach.
The error "Unable to create 3d scene" happens in Blitz3D if the engine detects that the PC has a graphics card installed that either doesn't support 3d graphics or it cannot use the 3d rendering that the graphic card provides.
But I can't exactly tell you if you have an incompatible graphics card in your notebook, as this also migth simply be an issue with WINE itself (and I'm not familiar with this program at all as I never used it).
I know that virtual machines/emulators have different settings you can change to make it more compatible for a certain program or such. Maybe WINE has these as well (not sure about it though).
That's the only way I could help you with. Sorry if it might be either disappointing to you or not really helpful enough for you :sad:

sora wrote:So far i've tried the unity build but it also does not run on my notebook. Maybe someone will create a friendly version that can run on old machines like Assaultcube. I am still trying to figure out to run this game on WINE.
Did you made up everything by this steps?

Code: Select all

The game does not work on the latest version of the wine. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
In order to open the game, follow the simple steps:
1. Open Terminal (CTRL+ALT+T):
2. If you have a 64-bit system: "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" if the 32-bit system then skip this step!
3. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
4. sudo apt-get update
5. sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
6. winecfg (agree to install"Wine Mono" and "Wine Gecko")
7. sudo apt-get install winetricks
8. winetricks d3dx9
9. Download LATEST version of game
10. Extract folder from downloaded archive
11. Open the extracted folder "SCP - Containment Breach"
12. Open "options.ini" and change the value of the parameter "play startup video" to "false" (Without quotes)
13. Open "SCP - Containment Breach.exe"

Code: Select all

user@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel winetricks
[sudo] password for user: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package winehq-devel

user@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install winetricks
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  cabextract libmspack0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cabextract libmspack0 winetricks
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 302 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,008 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

user@debian:~$ winetricks d3dx9
------------------------------------------------------
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
------------------------------------------------------
Using winetricks 20170101 - sha1sum: c844fda0cca25ac9ed0ed1b55cd138cab6a4af16 with wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call d3dx9
Executing load_d3dx9 
Executing mkdir -p /home/user/.cache/winetricks/directx9
Executing cd /home/user/.cache/winetricks/directx9
Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/4/A/84A35BF1-DAFE-4AE8-82AF-AD2AE20B6B14/directx_Jun2010_redist.exe to /home/user/.cache/winetricks/directx9

09/29 08:55:02 [NOTICE] Downloading 1 item(s)
 *** Download Progress Summary as of Fri Sep 29 08:56:02 2017 ***                                                                     
======================================================================================================================================
[#0eaa50 4.0MiB/95MiB(4%) CN:5 DL:92KiB ETA:16m56s]
FILE: /home/user/.cache/winetricks/directx9/directx_Jun2010_redist.exe

I m gonna report back if this workds

I have installed a low end video card on my PC, and the game just works. without any modification to the default WINE and SCP 1.3.8, I do not encounter Memory Access Violation and unable to create 3d screen. But, whenever I play using random seed some rooms in-game are missing for example the SCP-012, SCP-914 rooms sometimes missing. Also room2sl and room2ccont (elec contro room) are nowhere to be found. It seems a bug, now I cannot figure out the less buggy map seed so I can play for real. I test the maps by playing with omni key card and super gas mask. I even got stuck for 3 hours trying to find the room2sl and entrance zone but no avail untl i created a new game and random seed then it appeared but scp-914 is nowhere to be found. I also tried the console teleport command, and whenever I teleport to a room like room2ccont the result is "Room not found". So I am stuck