A Not-so-Formal Goodbye

Hello, I'm Insanity's Bane. If you're not blind/illiterate/stupid/a combination of any, then you've already guessed what this is about: someone leaving the forums.

Most of you hardly know me and/or spoken to me: good. Let's keep it that way.

The only way you know me is either by hearsay or I've worked on a project with you, or you've sent me a PM before. Once. And it likely isn't anything 1) nice, or 2) important. Again, let's keep it that way. I'm not a social person for a very good reason.

As of late, if you've cared to notice my posts, you've seen me very bitter and negative toward the forums and its users. That's because, I feel, the lack of activity of the game has caused most of the users to go to the General Off-Topic section. And then people think it's acceptable to act the same way on important threads like "Dev Topic" or "SCP suggestions" and think it's all fine and dandy; it isn't.

This general attitude has made me feel like the forum's gone to complete shit; and I'm not the only one who thinks that. (No, I'm not giving out names because that would be rude to add their name without asking their permission). The derailing, the pessimistic tone of posts, the overall horrible community, has drive me further and further away from this forum (example: http://scpcbgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=56896#p56896). I decided that I'm not going to drop off the forums without saying goodbye. But it's not going to be a nice goodbye. Not in the slightest. Because I'm going to rip apart every little detail that bothers me about this place.

1) The Community
As I've stated here, I do not like a number of forum-goers. And unfortunately, those users are the regulars. Their personalities range from annoying, to pompous, to insecure, and even stupidity. I'm not going to list those users; I'm already asking for trouble by making this thread, I will not start shit for the sake of starting shit. If you really want to know, go to the the Wiki, where I am an active admin and am in the chat most of the time. But trust me, if you're on the list of people I don't like, I will not stop to think about your candyass feelings.

2) The Moderation
I understand moderators were picked in a hurry. But that's no excuse with how issues have been dealt with. First of all, it's too god damn public. You want to warn a user? Send them a PM, don't state it on the thread. If their post is that bad, you can edit it. You have fucking mod rights. Secondly, when a user is warned, or banned (be it perma-ban or not), don't make a fucking thread about it, because more than anything that banned user is a troll and you're giving them what they want. If someone is curious about what happened to a certain user, ask the acting moderator using the fucking PM system. It exists for a reason. Even worse is when a moderator doesn't lock a thread or even issue a warning because they're "lazy". Get the fuck over it, you're a mod, do you're fucking job. Worse yet? They post on said thread, knowing it's going to start shit. I've seen it happen, sadly. And just because the offending user is one of your buttbuddies does not justify the crime. That's probably the worst part about it, and it happens so many times. Those users get a warning when they should receiving a ban.

Honestly, the only mods whom I have respect for are Sparks and Omniary. I don't know about Irontaco, but he's hardly around when the shit goes down, so not I'm sure if I can pin the blame on him.

3) The Awful, Awful Threads/Conflicting Opinions
This is a nitpick, but by God is it a big nitpick for me. Remember when people could accept each other's opinions? No? Of course not! Humans are petty, awful, terrible creatures who are all going to Hell. Oh wait, there's no God! But what if there is? PFFT OF COURSE NOT! Why would there be a God with all these corrupted and greedy congressmen and governments?

See where I'm going with this? If people SMILED once in a while to look at the nice things you have (like the Internet) and/or didn't pin their attitude on not taking their anti-depressants, *maybe* you wouldn't be a condensing bitter asshat, and you would accept other opinions.

This kinda goes hand-in-hand with threads like these. I hate these threads so much because they are founded on basically conflicting opinions. Oh, and if you're in a "controversial" fandom and you put it out on display for everyone to see: fuck you. No one cares, and you're asking to be flamed.

4) Bug Reports Subforum
Holy shit dude. I didn't go here until a friend complained about how much of a shithole it was. I thought he was exaggerating, so I gave it a glance; he wasn't. That entire place is just a mess of ignorance and vague comments. The thing needs to be purged.

To quote said friend:
He wrote:"hey can you fix bug x"
WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT BUG X FUCKING IS
[...]
they don't even say where it occurred either, so it becomes a test I'm not willing go through
5) "u brok da rules!!1!"
What are you, fucking five? If someone double posts (especially when it says the same thing and you know it was an accident/glitch), report the post; the button exists for a reason. Don't say "u doubled posted, ur in so much trouble!", you fucking clod. I'm sick of seeing that one out of all the complaining about people breaking "the rules", especially when it can be excused.

So this is me saying goodbye, pissing and moaning aside. Do not contact me via PM, go to the wiki and communicate with me there. I will no longer be signed in and thus will not receive them. I may visit these forums every so often, but only as an unregistered lurker.

Best of luck to you, Regalis. I do hope the game makes it the Indie Big Leagues, despite the god-awful community and shit forums.
Last edited by Insanity's Bane on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Administrator at the Official SCP:CB Wiki

Re: A Not-so-Formal Goodbye

I agree with everything Bane said. The only reason that I still come to the forum is because of the SCP RP. When I'm finished with the RP, I'm finished with the forum.
Call me Baton Guy.

I'm inclined to agree. Most of you are assholes...Not all, but some.
Some of you are pretty cool guys...But you are few and far between.
My name is John...Yes you can call me that...Yes it's a bland name, but it gets the job done.
I Warhammer 40K harder than you.

Suddenly I'm questioning why I keep going to this forum. Everything he said was right so why be here. Alas I have little to do, so I guess I'll see this forum continue to fall to the end, despite how depressing it is.

Unfortunately Insanity's speaks the truth. We've made good things happen on this forum (Me not so much, I've only been here a few months but I like to think I'm part of the community (as crappy as it is)), but the negative things and pointless shenanigans outweigh any positives.

The reason I still have hope is because I have friends here (Well, I have acquaintances here at the very least), but it seems even they are slowly diminishing. Luckily, as long as we still have the Skype and Steam groups - if anyone still uses those - that is a non-issue.

People like Regalis deserve better than the ramshackle assortment of trolls and whiners that was forced upon them. Ultimately though, this isn't about us or the forum; it's about the game. Secure, contain, and protect.

Tomgrakk wrote:People like Regalis deserve better than the ramshackle assortment of trolls and whiners that was forced upon them.
I couldn't agree more.

I am an asshole, I do not involve myself in most of the community because of the simple fact is if I do, I feel I will cause trouble.
Mandatory blank signature, here.

To be honest, I feel somewhat sad for being inclined to agree on several of the points made. Especially as of late, where it feels quite lonely and dead, not to mention how it feels like Regalis came more when he was in the military then ever since he got a job. I kinda feel bad for him since there's little he can do, also considering he has a life. I guess the poor showcase of behavior in general is everyone just going stir crazy from being in the dark so long with the game.

It does make me quite sad seeing people go like this, a lot of people have left from the original forum and it's pretty melancholy to see people disappear, to me. I certainly won't be leaving the community any time soon, I've met some legitimately great people here and there and I love helping contribute to the game, whether it be suggestions or what I do best. I don't really have that much else to say, so there, I guess.
It slep time bunner.