Suggestions for first Unity game

Ok guys, I recently got Unity 5 and I want to make video games for a living (And yes I am dedicated to that dream)
So I decided once I finish all the tutorials, to make a simple/moderate game for even more practice
Basically, when you think about it, any almost any game is an ok suggestion, but dont expect it to be extremely detailed.
Lucky for me, I only have the weekends to work on it with constant school stuff during the week.

I am honestly dedicated to make my own original game and I need all the practice I can get
Don't call it a comeback, I never left
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE8eN ... DnN6kvweew

Re: Suggestions for first Unity game

hug0905 wrote:Try making a 2D Game first, then go from there.
Oh boy, that is a terrible idea.
You want to know why? 2D and 3D engines are so different and diverse that starting with one and going to the other as soon as you master the former will make you want to use your former skills on the latter. It just doesn't work. My advice? Practice. Make practice games in Unity. Learn its languages, C#, Javascript, etc. Learn how to map. Go from there.
My YouTube. I make bad content.
My Steam. Add me if you'd like.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm in any way qualified to give career advice, let alone advice regarding the video game industry; as far as I'm concerned, nobody here is.

The only advice anyone can really give with the lack of information you've provided is to just make games/populate a portfolio. 2D, 3D, simple, complex, whatever; just make something that you will FINISH.

You might get some more appropriate advice if you expand on what you mean by
The Radical Larry wrote:I want to make video games for a living
and what your plans are to achieve that goal.
D-9999 wrote:
hug0905 wrote:Try making a 2D Game first, then go from there.
Oh boy, that is a terrible idea.
I'm inclined to disagree. Plenty of skills/knowledge one acquires by developing 2D games translates into 3D games. If OP isn't mathematically inclined or doesn't have a basic knowledge of linear algebra, jumping straight into 3D applications is likely to be much more difficult. Besides, given the fact that by definition, 2-dimensional space is a subspace of 3-dimensional space; making a 2D game in a 3D engine usually only requires fixing everything to a 2D plane.
M-x dingus-mode

Well I plan to do this in a way that may or may not sound stupid, but i know for a fact I will change my plans a little along the way

I will practice as much as I can with Unity, and may even make a legit game for it. But, I've been told not to stick with it forever as I heard using the Unreal Engine is better for making video games.
I am aware of my chances of my first game with a price tag will be successful are not big at all, so I will first have a job that isnt too time consuming, just so I can have time to make video games.

I am also aware that many video games developers want to be in the spot light as much as I do, but I've been given extremely helpful advice from this video:
[youtube]watch?v=z06QR-tz1_o[/youtube]
Don't call it a comeback, I never left
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE8eN ... DnN6kvweew