[PSA] VALVe done fucked up.

[youtube]/watch?v=QillHSGjdoE&ab_channel=ValveNewsNetwork[/youtube]

EDIT
-------------

As of February 4th, 2016, VALVe has fixed this problem for all Source Multiplayer games. Install any updates needed, and scan all Steam related directories.

Essentially, VALVe finally realized that using the Source Engine, people can download .dll files onto your computer and do what they wish. That has been there since 2003, and has been on every engine version.

So, be safe I guess. Stay on VALVe or developer only servers.
Last edited by Nehpys on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: [PSA] VALVe done fucked up.

Awesomeguy147 wrote:Between this and the Steam caching problem, it's seems like Valve is rather incompetent when it comes to consumer safety.
I'd debate that.

Outside of the caching problem I don't recall any major Steam exploits which jeopardized privacy details. Most others usually came from outside sources such as that GMod exploit which made you send your Steam friends viruses.

Valve does seem to still care and take account security very seriously and I can forgive the occasional miss-steps, however on the flip side when said miss-steps end up risking account credentials or VAC bans then I can see when people are coming from when claiming they're incompetent.

That said though, you should probably never store your credit card credentials on Steam (or any site for that matter) because that's fucking stupid to begin with.

Source however is a different story. Honestly there's probably dozens of exploits in it that have yet to be discovered, even dating back to 2003 such as that one exploit from a few weeks ago. It makes me kinda glad that a lot of these exploits are being abused now because it's bringing to light a lot of the engine's security issues. Seeing as how Valve is working on fixing these does show that they give a shit to some extent and that they'll probably start taking Source 1 and 2's security more seriously.