Re: Offical Stance on Firearms ingame.

Serph Bravin wrote:To sum up the thread so far:
People want guns, but the maker doesn't want guns to be in game
People say guns exist in game, why can't they pick them up?
Someone suggests a form of biometric locking on the guns, to be mentioned by a guard in the intro. No response.
More people say they want guns, or say to leave guns un-pickupable without explanation
Biometric locking suggested again. Someone says this doesn't make sense because current technology would be too slow at that. (despite the Foundation being super-tech, and other methods of biometric scanning exist that are faster)
More talk that soesn't make sense and isn't all too relevant.

Personal statement: Just put a note in the opening explaining the gun safety features, or have a guard discourage you by mentioning the safety features. Say it's an ID chip planted in the hand, finderprint scanning, DNA checks, whatever you want. Any of those three would make sense for the Foundation to use considering they deal with death-row criminals on frequent basis, who may have a history of stealing guards guns to incite a breakout.
Thank you! It's amazing that this debate is still ongoing at this point. Steelpoint advocated the general biometric concept (I'm not sure if he is the person who first thought it up), I believe--but could be wrong--that Destructoid considered putting in an armory with a file explaining the biometrics, and I'm the one who said that a guard should explain it in the intro. Lotims brought up the scene from Dredd, and a modified version of that scene (perhaps the gun simply doesn't work instead of exploding) in the intro would work just as well as mine. There. Right there. Gun debate is solved.

Yet some people are still advocating guns despite arguing that they'd be useless, while others are asking to be able to pick up guns but not have bullets. No offense (despite the fact that I know this is going to be offensive), but these are stupid ideas! I'm sorry and I'm really not trying to be an ass, but these are just absolutely terrible! We've SOLVED the damned gun debate (actually, Regalis solved the damned gun debate when he stated on no uncertain terms that he will not be adding guns to the game), so why are people asking for Regalis to add empty guns to the game as if that were a plausible explanation for why we can't use guns, like every guard in the facility would be carrying empty guns and no ammo on them. It makes no sense. Just a file and a couple lines of dialogue are all you need (an extra room and a cool scene if you want to go the extra mile). So let's have that as the solution and end this stupid debate once and for all!

*looks up at rant* me mad, bro?

The other guard: "Hey, you eyein' my piece?" points to his main or sidearm somewhere "Sorry, but all the guns here have ID locking mechanisms, it's to prevent Ds like you from grabbing one and going on a shooting spree."
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

Destructoid wrote:The other guard: "Hey, you eyein' my piece?" points to his main or sidearm somewhere "Sorry, but all the guns here have ID locking mechanisms, it's to prevent Ds like you from grabbing one and going on a shooting spree."
I don't think that guards would give a class-D explanations, and much less with the word "sorry".
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

Okay, so those that want guns in the game want them to stop the MTFs. I just had an idea on how to do that without breaking the main game's horror ambiance too much.

You find a document of your stats (why you are a Class D) and you have a flashback. In the flashback, you have the choice of grabbing a weapon (maybe a gun, implementing it after all) and killing someone, or leaving the weapon and have the Foundation take you as there wasn't another way to get Class D personnel.

After this flashback, you look at the document again and it reflects what you did. If you killed someone, there will not be a way to make the MTFs friendly, and you won't have the weapon as it was just a flashback. If you are innocent, you can then go to the Intercom guy. He'll be locked in the room, and when you hand in the document, he'll give you something to identify you, as well as telling everyone you're not dangerous (this would make the MTFs friendly)

This could add a new ending at Gate A, the Foundation will apologize for the mess you've been through, and either [terminate you/reuse you/let you free (too good?)]

juanjpro wrote:Okay, so those that want guns in the game want them to stop the MTFs. I just had an idea on how to do that without breaking the main game's horror ambiance too much.

You find a document of your stats (why you are a Class D) and you have a flashback. In the flashback, you have the choice of grabbing a weapon (maybe a gun, implementing it after all) and killing someone, or leaving the weapon and have the Foundation take you as there wasn't another way to get Class D personnel.

After this flashback, you look at the document again and it reflects what you did. If you killed someone, there will not be a way to make the MTFs friendly, and you won't have the weapon as it was just a flashback. If you are innocent, you can then go to the Intercom guy. He'll be locked in the room, and when you hand in the document, he'll give you something to identify you, as well as telling everyone you're not dangerous (this would make the MTFs friendly)

This could add a new ending at Gate A, the Foundation will apologize for the mess you've been through, and either [terminate you/reuse you/let you free (too good?)]
As a mod, but not in the actual game.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

UniTopisn wrote:The only real reason firearms should be in the game is to kill MTFs. Sometimes it's impossible to get past them, so it would help a lot and make things less frustrating. If there were to be firearms in the game, it should be an SCP. There is SCP-127. That could work. Players would have to use the ammo wisely aganist MTFs. Or maybe some other SCP, I don't know any others. The best spot where the SCP could be is in an armory. The door to the containment room could be broken open with a dead guard near it. But anyway, a SCP firearm or weapon wouldn't be to bad to be added to the game.
^This. I accept with this...

Speaking of ammunition... why not make them collectables through the facility?

spartan322 wrote:
Destructoid wrote:The other guard: "Hey, you eyein' my piece?" points to his main or sidearm somewhere "Sorry, but all the guns here have ID locking mechanisms, it's to prevent Ds like you from grabbing one and going on a shooting spree."
I don't think that guards would give a class-D explanations, and much less with the word "sorry".
I mean he would say it a sarcastically.
I WANT TO [REDACTED] INSIDE TWILIGHT SPARKLE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Atheros drivers SUCK!

UniTopisn wrote:The only real reason firearms should be in the game is to kill MTFs. Sometimes it's impossible to get past them, so it would help a lot and make things less frustrating. If there were to be firearms in the game, it should be an SCP. There is SCP-127. That could work. Players would have to use the ammo wisely aganist MTFs. Or maybe some other SCP, I don't know any others. The best spot where the SCP could be is in an armory. The door to the containment room could be broken open with a dead guard near it. But anyway, a SCP firearm or weapon wouldn't be to bad to be added to the game.
I'd prefer the MTFs being less buggy instead of being killable.