Re: [GUIDE] Tips to making a well-made mod.

juanjpro wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:The maps are exported to B3D model format, so any mapping software that can export to that would theoretically work.
The RMesh converter would need to be modified to make it work properly with B3D files generated by other software.
Ive been trying to create an executable for SCP Comix v1.1.5 with B3D, And I followed all of the essential steps, but all I get is an error message saying "Function 'compatdata' not found." Have any good tips and pointers, Juanpro?
I bought a gay pony named North America! He walked on two legs and played the harmonica!
Check out my SCP - Comix mod: http://scpcbgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3557

I recently downloaded the new rooms file of 1.1.5 uploaded by Regalis, I tried to import the unused room of SCP-689 into the game, when I exported it from 3DW I had the .b3d file of the room along with one "lm1_" file (Those are those "grey" images that you can find in GFX/Map) I tried to import it in MapSystem.bb by just typing the same numbers aside the other rooms in the code, I saved, and wrote my room into the room.ini file, by putting "mesh path=GFX\map\statue.b3d", even if the other one were rmesh and not b3d. But when I launched the game, my room wasn't here, so I tried the Room Rmesh converter to convert my .b3d file to Rmesh, but I had a Memory Access Violation by typing 1, so I tried to type 2, and I had now the "rooms_b3d.ini" in the Data Folder, I just copy/pasted my room from "rooms.ini", and Launched the game, but I had this message "3D Animated Mesh GFC\map\173_opt.b3d not found."

Is this related to juanpro's message when he said that the Rmesh converter is not compatible with rooms from 3DW ?

This is a good article. Kudos for being exactly what the title suggests, and not the sarcastic opposite.
I had some big problems with certain parts, however:
InnocentSam wrote:#3 - Good at only one thing? Do not form a team.
Isn't the point of a team to have each person fill in one or more of the parts of a game, depending on each's expertise? One guy does the scripting, likely using a placeholder box and placeholder platform-and-bunch-of-walls to test his script, another replaces the walking (or flying, perhaps) box with a model (original or not), someone builds the world and designs obstacles or architecture or puzzles or whatever, and someone playtests any beta(though usually on larger projects)
If you know how to complete all the parts of the game, you can just make it yourself without a team if you'd like.
InnocentSam wrote:If you suck at modelling, or any part of development, find your way around it! Find a copyright-free model of what you want, or use a model from another game (it's a free mod for a free game, no one's going to care that you lifted the model from another game).
What if you are making an original concept? You can only go as far as making a stickman-humanoid hybrid, or perhaps have basic architexture that looks like an apartment or a maze.
InnocentSam wrote:#6 - Random testers suck
[...] And only let them test it when you feel the mod is finished.
So, no beta testing? If something is finished, it means further adjustments and updates are unnecessary, and its creator may leave it be. If you haven't had others test the game, the monster chasing you (for example) is most likely too fast, but it's just you able to react instantly after it appears, too strong but you know how to dodge it every time, or perhaps the player can easily get lost in the place but you perfectly know your way around.

Otherwise, good job on the guide.

You're thinking way too broadly dude. This is just a guide for CB mods, not game development as a whole.
Marios wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:#3 - Good at only one thing? Do not form a team.
Isn't the point of a team to have each person fill in one or more of the parts of a game, depending on each's expertise? One guy does the scripting, likely using a placeholder box and placeholder platform-and-bunch-of-walls to test his script, another replaces the walking (or flying, perhaps) box with a model (original or not), someone builds the world and designs obstacles or architecture or puzzles or whatever, and someone playtests any beta(though usually on larger projects)
If you know how to complete all the parts of the game, you can just make it yourself without a team if you'd like.
From experience, small scale projects are just better to do without a team. You don't really need anybody handling multiple elements of the mod.
Marios wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:If you suck at modelling, or any part of development, find your way around it! Find a copyright-free model of what you want, or use a model from another game (it's a free mod for a free game, no one's going to care that you lifted the model from another game).
What if you are making an original concept? You can only go as far as making a stickman-humanoid hybrid, or perhaps have basic architexture that looks like an apartment or a maze.
I don't understand this statement, could you clarify it?
Marios wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:#6 - Random testers suck
[...] And only let them test it when you feel the mod is finished.
So, no beta testing? If something is finished, it means further adjustments and updates are unnecessary, and its creator may leave it be. If you haven't had others test the game, the monster chasing you (for example) is most likely too fast, but it's just you able to react instantly after it appears, too strong but you know how to dodge it every time, or perhaps the player can easily get lost in the place but you perfectly know your way around.
Again, this guide is for CB mods. You can usually just test everything yourself unless you're doing something like a full-conversion (which let's be honest, no one would try with CB).

Also, none of those examples really apply to CB at all.

CommanderPro100 wrote:From experience, small scale projects are just better to do without a team. You don't really need anybody handling multiple elements of the mod.
The thing is, he's saying not to form a team if you can't handle multiple elements of the mod. So you can form a team if you can do so, according to him.
CommanderPro100 wrote:I don't understand this statement, could you clarify it?
Yes, I could.

You can only make a simple placeholder model, which is a humanoid with boxes as limbs at most, if you don't know modeling. And that's going on the final release of the mod? No help? What if what you want to make includes OC?
CommanderPro100 wrote:Again, this guide is for CB mods. You can usually just test everything yourself unless you're doing something like a full-conversion (which let's be honest, no one would try with CB).
Then again, he's saying you can get some playtesters once the game is finished. What's the point?
CommanderPro100 wrote:Also, none of those examples really apply to CB at all.
Could you clarify this for me?